Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
Paperwhite bricked -- please help

hello..

I installed jailbreak on kindle paperwhite.. OS version 5.3.5.. plus the other tools: KUAL, Kterm, kindle explorer.. etc..

Was fooling around with the "shutdown now" command on kterm, invoked under kindle explorer.. nothing happened.. i exited from kterm.. but when i tried to exit from kindle explorer, the screen blanked and i'm now having what seems like a bricked paperwhite.. with only the status screen on top and a blank area beneath.. "(paper)white screen of death.." nothing works..

request forum experts to point me to suitable recovery method..
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Does "etc..." include USB networking?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks for your fast reply, knc1..
i'm afraid i've not (yet) installed usb networking..
Old 07-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
nasser
Evangelist

well, actually.. "nothing works" is not strictly correct.. the screensaver does kick in and i'm able to wake it up and shut it down by short press and long press..
Old 07-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does it still appear as USB storage to your PC when it is awake?

Hmm...
If so, you might try booting it to DIAGS mode ("ENABLE_DIAGS" on USB storage, re-boot).

OR -
(without USB networking, it may be KUBRICK time).
Old 07-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
If you can still access the USB file system after a reboot, place a file called ENABLE_DIAGS (*all caps, no file extension!!!*) in the root directory of the device, and reboot again. Provided that you have the rescue pack installed, this should get you into diags mode, from where you can try to debrick it.

Otherwise... SOL, I guess. There are no known methods to debrick a Paperwhite, besides possibly soldering and accessing it via serial port.

PS: Moved this out of the Kubrick thread and into a new one, as Kubrick can't do anything about Paperwhites.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Does it still appear as USB storage to your PC when it is awake?

Hmm...
If so, you might try booting it to DIAGS mode ("ENABLE_DIAGS" on USB storage, re-boot).

OR -
(without USB networking, it may be KUBRICK time).
Oops, this is a Paperwhite - -
My bad, no KUBRICK for the K5 Paperwhite yet.

Last edited by knc1; 07-11-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
PS: Moved this out of the Kubrick thread and into a new one, as Kubrick can't do anything about Paperwhites.
Thanks,
I was getting lost, trying to have a trouble shooting discussion across two threads.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@nasser: I'm assuming you already tried a hard reboot?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:28 PM   #10
nasser
Evangelist

tried ENABLE_DIAGS.. no dice..
by "reboot" or "hard reboot", i assume a long press of the PW button, followed by a short press is meant..? or am i missing something..?

hmmm... well.. i suppose i should say something like "serves me right for fooling around, instead of reading.." but i won't..

but i do wish to appreciate the quick help and advice from forum members.. some solace for my breaking heart.. :-)
Old 07-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasser View Post
tried ENABLE_DIAGS.. no dice..
by "reboot" or "hard reboot", i assume a long press of the PW button, followed by a short press is meant..? or am i missing something..?

hmmm... well.. i suppose i should say something like "serves me right for fooling around, instead of reading.." but i won't..

but i do wish to appreciate the quick help and advice from forum members.. some solace for my breaking heart.. :-)
It is new enough that you can just call Amazon CS and tell them it is broke.
Let them send you a replacement.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@nasser: A single long press (a bit over 5s, IIRC), with the device unplugged. Should trigger a reboot.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #13
nasser
Evangelist

Whooops... i hadn't understood what a "hard reboot" was.. i finally did and my PW is back in business.. wish i could host a beer for all of you.. ;-)

I also was able to replicate the steps which caused the PW to hang.. here goes:
1. ran KUAL
2. ran KindleExplorer
3. navigate to root directory
4. try to open /etc directory by touching it
5. BAM.. PW hangs..

Should this be flagged as a bug in KindleExplorer? Or as a warning, caution, admonition to others..?

Once again, my heartfelt thanks to all.. especially NiLuJe.. for the hard reboot tip.. :-)

will keep away from further fiddling for some time.. :-P
Old 07-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Hmm...
/etc is read-only
Might be having an effect on KindleExplorer.

But nice to know that KE works (sort of) on the Paperwhite.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #15
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
I had the very same problem with my Touch. The kindle seems to be bricked but it can go into screensaver mode and the status bar works.
Again, the solution was an hard reset.
I didn't fool around with kterm any of the time it happened to me.
It seems to be related to some process using all the CPU.
Everything is freezed and even the menu can be called but nothing happens!
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote