Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-09-2008, 02:47 AM   #1
shousa
Groupie
shousa doesn't littershousa doesn't littershousa doesn't litter

Perhaps this will surprise you!

I would like some people reading this to verify this finding.

I have found now MANY "Microsoft Reader" .LIT ebooks have errors.

Actually they are not errors in Microsoft Reader but will be if converted using Libprs500.

First off, explode the .LIT.

The error can be seen if loading the biggest.html in Firefox. While your "Chapter" links will work your "Notes" links will not. Clicking any "Note" in the main text will take you to a single page .html (I call this the "smallest" .html generally 3KB in size) rather than the List of Notes area in "biggest" .html. Check this by exploding the .LIT and loading the biggest .html.

How to distinguish at a glance which have errors and which do not
(based on my ebooks):
1) If you explode the .LIT there will be FIVE .html files (include .htm in the calc) instead of FOUR.
2) These will be likely non-fiction books with many "Notes", all my fiction books are fine.

How to fix:
- found that all links (I mean 100%) referred to a .html called XXXsmallest.html when it should have been XXXbiggest.html. So clicking on the links (for notes) in the html always came back to the xxxsmallest.html which is a single page .html.
- i used a find and replace in wordpad to change all the xxxsmallest.html links to xxxbiggest.html (editing only the xxxbiggest.html) and now all the links 100%work.

eg. find "smallest" and replace with "biggest"

Convert to Sony Reader using the following DOS commandline:
C:\progra~1\libprs~1\html2lrf --use-spine --left-margin=0 --right-margin=0 --top-margin=0 --bottom-margin=0 --base-font-size=10 --wordspace=1 c:\1\xxxbiggest.html

Check in LRF Viewer - all links work - sweet!!

Anyone else find this?

Last edited by shousa; 02-09-2008 at 09:13 AM.
shousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:50 PM   #2
shousa
Groupie

Just got my 505.

The links work with the technique above on the 505, nuff said.

(would work for readers using mobipocket as well - see above)
Old 02-13-2008, 09:08 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
This is the sort of material that should be collected and added to the Wiki in a libprs500 Best Practices page. Any volunteers?
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:00 PM   #4
shousa
Groupie

I just added it, I did not know there was a Best Practice area, thanks.

My first wiki contribution!
Old 02-13-2008, 10:51 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shousa View Post
I just added it, I did not know there was a Best Practice area, thanks.

My first wiki contribution!
Congratulations.

Adding material to the Wiki allows many people to find it quickly rather than sifting through lots of sticky threads and many more non sticky threads to find information. It allows us to easily build on the contributions of others.

RWood is offline   Reply With Quote