Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-27-2010, 10:51 AM   #1
brandorf
brandorf began at the beginning.

Device: Nook / Nook Color
A few things not widely known about the nook color.

Having had Nook Color for a bit now, I figured I'd share a few things I've come across while using it:

Sideloading:
  • You can sideload books by putting them into the "My Files" directory in either the Device memory, or the SD card, the Subfolder there, Books, Magazines, etc determine where they show up in the library.
  • Sideloaded items are shown alongside B&N books, and will have covers if the file is correctly formatted.
  • EDIT: Covers do not seem to show for PDF documents, doing more research.
  • Sideloaded items cannot be put on the homescreen.
  • Sideloaded items can be sorted into "Shelves" along with reglar B&N Books.
  • Social media functions do not work with sideloaded books.
  • Reading position sync does not work with sideloaded books.

Hardware:
  • Though the Nook Color connects to the PC via a Micro USB cable, it can only be charged with its own special cable, which extends farther into the device than a regular micro USB connector. This proprietary cable will not work with any other micro USB device, though a regular Micro USB cable will sync it with a computer.

That's just a few things that many of you will be interested in, all things that nobody seemed to know when I first got mine. I'm sure that a few of these have already been answered as well. Feel free to ask anything else.

Last edited by brandorf; 11-27-2010 at 10:26 PM.
brandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:08 AM   #2
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandorf View Post
Though the Nook Color connects to the PC via a Micro USB cable, it can only be charged with its own special cable, which extends farther into the device than a regular micro USB connector. This proprietary cable will not work with any other micro USB device, though a regular Micro USB cable will sync it with a computer.
This isn't quite accurate. It /does/ charge with a standard micro USB cable. It just charges more slowly than with the wall charger. The quick-charge requires a 10 watt charger.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2010, 11:23 AM   #3
brandorf

My initial test was with the Nook classic's cable, plugged into a wall charger. The device does not register even being plugged in under those conditions. It's possible that it will only charge with a standard Micro cable when connected to a PC?

I have not tried the Nook color's cable on the PC either.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:39 AM   #4
brandorf

A few Quick tests:

Looking at the device's battery status.

Nook color wall adapter (1.9Amp) - Nook Color Cable - Charging (AC)
Nook color wall adapter (1.9Amp) - Standard Micro USB - Not Charging

Nook classic wall adaper (0.9Amp) - Nook Color Cable - Charging (AC)
Nook classic wall adaper (0.9Amp) - Standard Micro USB - Not Charging

Connected to PC - Nook Color Cable - Not Charging, Indicator on Cable itself indicates Charging.
Connected to PC - Standard Micro USB - Not Charging

After watching the battery indicator, it looks like it will charge if connected via PC regardless of cable, even though it says it isn't. But with my set of chargers, a standard wall wart won't do the job.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
After watching the battery indicator, it looks like it will charge if connected via PC regardless of cable, even though it says it isn't. But with my set of chargers, a standard wall wart won't do the job.
Ah. My misunderstanding. I was referring to using a standard micro USB cable on a PC. I can confirm that it does charge, but doesn't "fast charge." I haven't tried any other wall chargers or charger/cable combination. To me, as long as I can charge it from whatever computer is nearby, I'm good.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2010, 12:20 PM   #6
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
But with my set of chargers, a standard wall wart won't do the job.
I have three here from various devices I have purchased over the years. I plug them into the Nook Color, turn off the screen, and come back later. I couldn't tell you how fast it is charging, but it does work and is fast enough for my needs. (Also note that I'm using standard cables, not the special Nook Color cable, when I do this.)
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:26 PM   #7
brandorf

Sounds like we have a good recommendation for a future software update: indication when the device is "Trickle Charging" versus "Fast Charging"
Old 11-27-2010, 10:29 PM   #8
brandorf

Slight edit, I can't seem to get covers to show for PDF sideloaded content.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:38 AM   #9
jyl
Enthusiast
jyl began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK, JE200
is the loading time fast or slow?
jyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:56 PM   #10
brandorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyl View Post
is the loading time fast or slow?
Pretty quick, loading time for epub books is near instantaneous.

For PDFs, about three seconds for a 50 page comic, with about half a second between pages.

A much larger, graphic novel 300+ pages, loaded in about 1.5 seconds, but the page turn time was about the same.

A mostly text PDF was about the same as the graphic novel.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #11
emt
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganK View Post
I have three here from various devices I have purchased over the years. I plug them into the Nook Color, turn off the screen, and come back later. I couldn't tell you how fast it is charging, but it does work and is fast enough for my needs. (Also note that I'm using standard cables, not the special Nook Color cable, when I do this.)
Even though it doesn't charge with a standard USB cable and wall wart , does anyone think that keeping it plugged in while say, watching a movie, will slow down the rate of discharge?
Old 11-28-2010, 10:04 PM   #12
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt View Post
Even though it doesn't charge with a standard USB cable and wall wart , does anyone think that keeping it plugged in while say, watching a movie, will slow down the rate of discharge?
Apparently my setting the stage disguised the true intent of my comment. Let me change that:

The Nook Color will charge with a standard USB cable and wall wart.

Further, plugging it in while using it will slow down the rate of discharge.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #13
Ankaa
Enthusiast
Ankaa began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Does it or does it not charge with another wall wart than the one that comes with the Nook?

I didn't know where I put my original one so I used another....it light on the original Nook cable is on and the screen turns on as soon as I plug the thing in the wall, but it says "Not charging" in the Settings.
Ankaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:48 PM   #14
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankaa View Post
Does it or does it not charge with another wall wart than the one that comes with the Nook?
Yes, it will charge. Just slowly. Mine will fully charge if left overnight on any standard USB charger.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:46 PM   #15
Ankaa
Enthusiast
Ankaa began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
thanks!!
Ankaa is offline   Reply With Quote