Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-21-2009, 01:21 AM   #1
jgsmith
Connoisseur
jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Kobo Touch, Kindle PW2
eBook content in Canada

I'm new to eBooks...so new in fact that I don't even have a reader yet. There are several readers out there that look good, and I'm sure I would be happy with any of them, so I am now looking at the available content. I live in Canada, and this appears to change the story a bit. So, if I take 2 of the more popular models to compare, please let me know if I have this right.

Kindle:
- can load any of the older "public domain" eBooks, which presumably are not DRM'd and if necessary can be converted with Calibre to work on the Kindle
- can purchase books from amazon.ca (only a subset of the titles available on amazon.com)
- can purchase any non-DRM eBooks and convert them (although I'm not sure how I would know if they were DRM'd or not)
- this basically comes down to reading all the old (and i mean old) classics you want, purchasing from amazon.ca or downloading more obscure titles from 3rd party sites

Sony:
- the same as with the Kindle, except you cannot purchase books from amazon, but instead from any site that sells eBooks in epub format (Sony, Kobo, etc.)

I realise that there are many sites where you can download eBooks, but when you're talking about new (or even recent) releases, it looks like I either get amazon.ca or sony/kobo

Do I have this right?

Jim
jgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:01 AM   #2
cemerson
cemerson began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505S
Fictionwise and Books on Board also sell new or recent books readable on the Sony, though Adobe pdf from Books on Board is not my favourite format.

What I'm particularly enjoying about my reader is not so much the access to all the free classics (though I may actually now get around to reading some of the things I've always meant to read), but the access to all the free out of print NON-classics. For instance, I'm currently reading the Charlie Chan mysteries by Earl der Biggers, written in the 1920s and totally unavailable, at least to me, in print form now. I'd never have been able to enjoy these without ebooks.
cemerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2009, 11:16 AM   #3
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

I live in Canada, So Yes, it is pretty much down to those 2 or using an Apple iPhone / iPod Touch.

The advantages of Kindle are generally lower prices (but not by much anymore) but some of the ebooks will be azw1 or topaz books that can only be read by Kindle. Kindle can read Mobipocket books but it is hard to navigate sometimes to other stores and use them.

The advantages of the Sony are that they support epub books which are an open standard (unlike Mobi or AZW - Kindle books). That said, DRM exists for epub too (but it can be removed). The new sony Store prices are much better, plus you can download classics and other books from feedbooks.net. manybooks.net, booksonboard.com and many other bookstores (I bought the new Bernard Cornwell book "The Burning Land " from Waterstones in the UK since it was not yet available in the US (and therefore not in any of the ebook stores) even though the book was available in print form in Canada. I can even buy from EReader.com and because of python scripts and Calibre, I can convert those books to epub and read them on my Sony PRS-600. So the range of bookstores to buy from is greater (IMHO) for the Sony ereader than the Kindle.

In addition, KOBO (the new version of ShortCovers) is supported by Canada's own Indigo and it supports EPUB versions as well (and they support Sony as well).

As for the iPod Touch / Kindle, there is the Kobo app (for epub), Stanza app (for eReader), Kindle app (now available in canada for Kindle azw files), and many others.
So it would work as well but it's screen is just too small for my eyes now (too much reading!).

I don't think you could go far wrong with either. The only one to stay away from is Barnes and Noble's Nook since the damn B&N store will not sell anything to anyone not in the US (like the Kindle was previously).

I chose the Sony PRS-600 myself since Kindle in Canada was not an option yet, and I wanted to support the epub open standard format.

Hope something here helps,

KevinH
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:27 PM   #4
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
I don't have either Kindle or Sony, but this sounds right to me. One factor I'd mention regarding new books is that Fictionwise (and others) offer some books as 'multi-format'. Those are always (AFAIK) non-DRM.

Fictionwise has been my main ebook store (other than 'free' sites, like manybooks.net) as I haven't found as good selection elsewhere. At Fictionwise, I've never found any DRM'd books that weren't labeled Secure, whatever the format was. (That is, if it says 'Mobipocket' then it's non-DRM, if it says 'Secure Mobipocket' then it's DRM'd. Same with 'eReader' vs 'Secure eReader', etc.)
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
You can also use the Sony reader to check out library books. The Toronto library offers this to its users, check the OverDrive web site to see if libraries in your area offer this as well. You download books from the library at home, and when the return date rolls around the reader somehow blocks the book, so you don't have to worry about late fees. I understand that the Kindle can be used for library books as well, but only if they are available in Mobi format, which not all libraries offer.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2009, 02:06 PM   #6
jgsmith
Connoisseur
jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Kobo Touch, Kindle PW2
Thanks for the help everyone! I realise the eBook content story is still evolving, but it seems to me that right now, in Canada, there is a distinct advantage to having ePub support, so I am going with the Sony. Being restricted to the Amazon site, which does not have the same availability of titles in Canada that it does in the US, and on top of that having to pay in US dollars, was the dealbreaker. Who knows, in 3 months this could all be different...
jgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:23 PM   #7
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I have a Sony reader and love it, I'm sure that you will be happy with your purchase. I had originally got a Sony as it was the easiest ebook reader for me to find in Canada (I'm also Canadian, by the way), and I really feel I made the right choice. Although I'm sure that the Kindle is a great reader as well, I feel like the Sony is a better fit for me.
Best of luck and Happy Holidays.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:19 PM   #8
Salinger
Salinger began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
@jgsmith, I just went through the same process you did, and came to the same conclusion. For Canadians, I just don't think the Kindle is the reader to get. Especially seeing that we get charged an extra $2 for every book supposedly because of higher wireless costs. But we get charged that, even if we download on our computer and transfer via USB. I think that's criminal. It also means books that are free to US residents, are $2.00 to us.

I've found among the Sony store, Kobo (bills in CAD for Canadians!), Books on Board, and many other places, you will find the book you are looking for at the same or lower price than Amazon. If it's too expensive in one place, just keep checking. Likewise, I just checked out my first e-book from the Toronto Public library. ...you can't beat free!!

I bought both the 600 and 505 so I could do a real-life comparison, and I thought the 505 was head and shoulders above so I'm returning the 600. I would recommend you do some comparison for yourself though, as many people do love their 600 and it is very, very cool.
Salinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:18 AM   #9
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony prs505
I have the sony and I love it. For me it was the best choice. I am also Canadian. I dont think I have ever looked for a book I wanted yet and not found it to be available to me at one ebook store or the other. I purchase from several different places including Books on Board, Sony, Kobo, allromanceebooks, and cooler. I was told Barnes and Noble are selling ebooks to Canadians now and I am thinking of getting a nook, not as a replacement to my sony 505 but just because I want one. I think several companies sell ebooks compatible with that reader also so there will be lots of choice. Good luck on your purchase I am sure you will love it no matter which one you choose.
artemisblossom is offline   Reply With Quote