Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-21-2016, 06:55 AM   #1
almagest
almagest can read with one handalmagest can read with one handalmagest can read with one handalmagest can read with one handalmagest can read with one handalmagest can read with one handalmagest can read with one handalmagest can read with one handalmagest can read with one handalmagest can read with one handalmagest can read with one hand

Device: Kobo: aura, touch
Kobo Aura, removing "bol.com" branding

Hello,

I just purchased a kobo aura off ebay and I was surprised to see that I had a "bol.com" branded model. Apparently it is a dutch e-book retailer. I was expecting a normal/factory model, but I guess it did have a suspiciously good price.

When the screen is booting, it has the kobo logo, along with the bol.com logo.

When the device is in sleep or powered-off mode, it displays the bol.com logo (either stamped above the book being currently read, or dead center of screen).

After some googling, and searching these forums, I was unable to find a way to remove the bol.com retailer branding. Does anyone know of a way to just wipe the device and reinstall/flash the normal factory settings/image? If not, is there some way I can edit the device files so that I can remove the branding?

It has software version 3.19.5761

pics of screen attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	koboauraBolResiz.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	654.7 KB
ID:	151795   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo AuraBolResize.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	151796  

Last edited by almagest; 09-21-2016 at 06:59 AM.
almagest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:11 AM   #2
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I think this is what you are looking for

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=127

ETA The link is to a post in the firmware 4.0.7523 thread, I am not sure if you didn't update your device on purpose or not, so please note there is a newer firmware and there will be another release at the 26th of September AFAIK. And I am not sure if the firmware you use is better or worse than the 4.0.7523. You'd better ask in the firmware thread.

Last edited by Poppaea; 09-21-2016 at 07:16 AM.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2016, 07:12 AM   #3
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by almagest View Post
If not, is there some way I can edit the device files so that I can remove the branding?
Yes, 'bol.com' is a large Dutch online retailer, something like a Dutch version of Amazon.

You should be able to remove the branding (I think) bij editing .kobo/affiliate.conf with something that respects line endings (WordPad or Notepad++ or the like, not Notepad) and change the 'affiliate=BOL' (or 'BOL.COM', whatever it is) to 'affiliate=Kobo'.

Edit: Ninja-ed :-)
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:15 AM   #4
almagest
almagest can read with one handalmagest can read with one handalmagest can read with one handalmagest can read with one handalmagest can read with one handalmagest can read with one handalmagest can read with one handalmagest can read with one handalmagest can read with one handalmagest can read with one handalmagest can read with one hand

Device: Kobo: aura, touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
I think this is what you are looking for

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=127

ETA The link is to a post in the firmware 4.0.7523 thread, I am not sure if you didn't update your device on purpose or not, so please note there is a newer firmware and there will be another release at the 26th of September AFAIK. And I am not sure if the firmware you use is better or worse than the 4.0.7523. You'd better ask in the firmware thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Yes, 'bol.com' is a large Dutch online retailer, something like a Dutch version of Amazon.

You should be able to remove the branding (I think) bij editing .kobo/affiliate.conf with something that respects line endings (WordPad or Notepad++ or the like, not Notepad) and change the 'affiliate=BOL' (or 'BOL.COM', whatever it is) to 'affiliate=Kobo'.

Edit: Ninja-ed :-)

Thank you! That did the trick :]
almagest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:49 AM   #5
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by almagest View Post

Thank you! That did the trick :]
Glad it worked. Have fun with you Kobo!
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert