Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #346
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamba66 View Post
And as I listed before, there are only indications that it will be released for businesses and there are NO implications that it will be released for consumers...
If you have money you can buy it. Everything else would be madness.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #347
nathan.grewal
Dickens Fanatic
nathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo touch, iPod touch 4th gen, kobo arc, kobo arc 10 HD, nexus 5
As I have learned from the kindle dx (but sony hasn't) that an eink device as big as this or even ipad sized won't really sell, even for academic purposes. The ipad is simply better for school.
nathan.grewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #348
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
One of the arguments in Japan is that the iPad is too much of a distraction, while the Sony comes with no support for video or sound. I'm fairly sure though that it will take college students no more than a week to hack it so they can have whatever they want on it.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #349
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan.grewal View Post
As I have learned from the kindle dx (but sony hasn't) that an eink device as big as this or even ipad sized won't really sell, even for academic purposes. The ipad is simply better for school.
I don't think that Amazon has an interest in putting any marketing effort into a large sized ereader. The kindle is sold at a loss because it makes people buy more ebooks from Amazon. A large screen eink device for businesses and academia would be used primarily for non-Amazon files.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:47 AM   #350
gamba66
Zealot
gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanvon E920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
One of the arguments in Japan is that the iPad is too much of a distraction, while the Sony comes with no support for video or sound. I'm fairly sure though that it will take college students no more than a week to hack it so they can have whatever they want on it.
All of what you say is normally true but you don't take into consideration:

1. The Price (which is a major factor for college students)

2. The Marketside (which seems to be b2b only or business section)

Devices that are hacked are often sold in high numbers or are very cheap so that many people can afford them (For example android phones produced in high quantity or the ZTE Blade which was very affordable and had lots of custom roms). Both these factors do not apply for the Sony DPT-S1.

Unfortunately this is a niche product, produced in small numbers and sold for a very very high price of about 1000$ and sold in a very small market region (japan only and probably business side).. And even if it is sold for consumers, it is still a niche market they are entering.. 99% of the students use tablets instead of large-eink readers

I believe sony isn't only doing this because they are stupid but because the large e-ink reader is very expensive to produce and has low yields... Nobody can predict if this product takes off in sales or not, because they are entering a completely new market.. Its not like with graphic cards, which have low yields at first and then are sold cheaper the better the yields get, because they are sold in a common market

People shouldn't forget that most of us here are enthusiasts given the fact that we are registered on a forum about e-ink readers. Our wishes do not apply to the average consumers who read about e-ink readers in magazines or heard about them from amazon. We are an educated and advanced group of consumers which makes up only a very small portion of the overall consumers, dont forget that.. Most people have never even heard of the Sony DPT-S1 and would rather buy an Ipad or Android Tablet which is proven itself on the market

Last edited by gamba66; 11-28-2013 at 07:52 AM.
gamba66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #351
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is released next week so we will know more then. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a substantial discount for it in university shops, too big and it becomes an incentive for a secondary market though.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #352
batchaesir
batchaesir began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-T1
Preorder links have appeared on Chinese online shopping website taobao.com
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...id=36110805917
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...id=35881912494
batchaesir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #353
petrucci
Groupie
petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I also spotted an online store advertising them:

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/h...ommend_item_en
petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:47 PM   #354
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

The Chinese prises are 35% below Rakuten. Too bad it lacks Bluetooth.

It is also available on Japanese Rakuten.
http://item.rakuten.co.jp/hotlinworl...m-dpt-s1-1107/
I suppose it could be the same seller.
There are some harsh conditions attached to the sale, the seller won't take it back under any circumstances. So it is obvious that it isn't coming through an approved Son sales channel.

Last edited by Kumabjorn; 11-30-2013 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Addtions
Old 12-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #355
petrucci
Groupie
petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Only one more day to go. I have been waiting for one of these for years. This being said, I still have some reservations. Ordering from an unknown Chinese or Japanese vendor, when I do not speak Chinese or Japanese is a recipe for disaster.
petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #356
apt@
apt@ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
petrucci: I'm in the same boat as you. I'm based in UK and went ahead and registered on Rakuten/Tenso. If all goes smooth I should have it next week or so.

The tricky part is that Tenso requires address/identity confirmation, so I've sent the information to them, but not sure how long it will take for them to process it. Hopefully before Dec 5

Price-wise it's a disaster already. rough calculations to import into UK:
Device 100'000 (just rounding the price for easier calculations)
Shipping/handling to UK 10'000 (also rounded up)
UK Customs duty/VAT 30'000 (possibly more)

=> Expected price receiving it in UK is 40% higher... I hope it will be worth it.

Also, I asked a person who speaks Chinese to look at Taobao links and she said that they will be shipping only in the second part of December.
apt@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #357
apt@

Hmm, I forgot to add transaction fees by the bank + losses on the exchange rate. So, it should be about 50% premium...
Old 12-02-2013, 10:03 AM   #358
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
A thousand dollars for an ereader? They must be joking. Who would be insane enough to buy this? I'm going into Tokyo tomorrow to do a little shopping so I'll drop by the electronics department and see if they have any.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:08 AM   #359
apt@

Canuck: yes, please post your review, if you get to see/test the item.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:25 AM   #360
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Extremely unlikely you'll find one. This is not a retail item.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote