Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-10-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
xueyou2
Connoisseur
xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.

Device: none
How can i download PDF files?

I have install webpatch ( https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=135011) and freedownload hack (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=121008),
but still can not download PDF files.
What is wrong?I really need to download some PDF files to read without LCD.
Thank you.
xueyou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xueyou2 View Post
... I really need to download some PDF files to read without LCD.
Thank you.
If your goal is to load PDF files to the kindle, plug it into a host PC and copy your PDF files to the USB drive documents folder from a host PC.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
The download hack can only do a subset of PDF documents - I think it checks "extensions", which do not really exist in URIs, rather than MIME types. Plus it can't overcome things depending on cookies, most prominently log-in sessions.

There's an "alternative browser" thread here in the developer's corner, which might bring other possibilities. I also throw in good old text-based browsers run in a terminal emulator like myts.

When it's about using the Kindle's 3G connection, however, that would not work out of the box and discussing it here in the forums is not permitted (and I don't encourage it either).
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
xueyou2
Connoisseur
xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.

Device: none
[QUOTE=hawhill;2258119]The download hack can only do a subset of PDF documents - I think it checks "extensions", which do not really exist in URIs, rather than MIME types.

Yes,It is.
The url that i usually click is a javascript.then it give the true PDF url.
xueyou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:18 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
[QUOTE=xueyou2;2259210]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
The download hack can only do a subset of PDF documents - I think it checks "extensions", which do not really exist in URIs, rather than MIME types.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Yes,It is.
The url that i usually click is a javascript.then it give the true PDF url.
Use your PC for the first download ;
When using a browser such as Firefox ;
there is a "down load progress" box shown ;
click on the title and choose "copy download link" (other browsers should have a similar function) ;
that copied link should have the actual url with the *.pdf name in it.

Ah, but to do that, you would now have the document on your PC, so just transfer it via USB cable.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2012, 05:38 AM   #6
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Then we don't even know if the Kindle's browser can make sense out of the JavaScript. The downloading hack is nice, but I wouldn't go a long way to try and fix it for the cases where it does not work.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:55 AM   #7
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
not to be a naysayer. but I just replaced the flaky download hack in favour of text browser. Wasn't keen on the way it embedded itself at all times regardless of web activity. Plus it failed a lot.

EDIT: You could of course do a promiscuous packet grab of the network traffic - your side of the router (assuming your setup supports it), like on a seperate device (a PC?) and look around for more clues. Seems like a lot of work though.

Hope the helps

Last edited by twobob; 10-11-2012 at 07:59 AM. Reason: promiscuous packet grab
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:57 AM   #8
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
not to be a naysayer. but I just replaced the flaky download hack in favour of text browser. Wasn't keen on the way it embedded itself at all times regardless of web activity. Plus it failed a lot.
Hope the helps
elinks ftw!
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote