Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 02-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
djvu on the reader side ?

First of all, hi everybody on this nice forum ...

I am new here, so sorry if this is naive or has already been discussed before.

The reason I am interested in the edge rather than a tablet is the reader. Now, I especially want to read djvu files on the reader side. I can sort of do this with VuDroid and LCD2Eink but the quality is not really great. For instance, it is by far not as good as djvu applications on other e-readers I have used. Is there a "native" djvu application for the reader? Similarly, do FBReader, CoolReader, etc, exist directly for the reader side ?
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:54 PM   #2
rixeta
Enthusiast
rixeta can extract oil from cheeserixeta can extract oil from cheeserixeta can extract oil from cheeserixeta can extract oil from cheeserixeta can extract oil from cheeserixeta can extract oil from cheeserixeta can extract oil from cheeserixeta can extract oil from cheese

Device: Edge Entourage
just convert it to pdf instead of having a headache looking for a program that would work :P:P I'm sorry but i dont know any.. but dont loose hope.. someone will popup with a solution

Last edited by rixeta; 02-06-2012 at 08:57 PM.
rixeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2012, 02:10 AM   #3
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Besides converting using Calibre (or something similar), I don't know of anything except LCD2eink that will let you read formats other than pdf and epub on the eink side of the eDGe.

What's so great about djvu? I keep seeing it mentioned. How is it different from epub?

Welcome to the forum, fekhner! Nice having you with us!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:26 AM   #4
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

it is a format used for scans of technical textbooks, converting to pdf is not convenient and results in huge files
Old 02-07-2012, 03:36 AM   #5
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Ah! So it's specialized! That explains why people ask about it so often.

Wish I had more help to give.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2012, 05:39 AM   #6
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
what about Djvudroid or it is the same as VuDroid?

P.S.: I do not own the device, so I am not much of help.
P.P.S.: just came across the following thread http://somestupidwebsite.com/downloa...mat-of-e-books.
Given that there's no additional information, you may be out of luck (at least, at the moment)

Last edited by eLiNK; 02-07-2012 at 05:47 AM.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #7
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by fekhner View Post
it is a format used for scans of technical textbooks, converting to pdf is not convenient and results in huge files
My son has several large Respiratory Therapy books that I have to print in PDF format chapter by chapter from Elsevier Pageburst. I then combine these using a program called PDF Converter Professional 6, and yes the files are rather large. However, I also optimize the PDF using the same program. Optimizing the PDF reduces the file size by at least 50% and upwards of almost 75%, with no visible reduction in image or text quality. I transfer these PDF files to my son's Edge and he uses either the e-ink or ezPDF to read them (he also reads them using Mantano Reader on his Kindle Fire). PDFs display better in ezPDF on the Pocket Edge and I think are better suited for e-ink using the full size Edge. The bottom line is if you run your PDF through an Optimizer (there are plenty of free ones online) you end up with a relatively small file that looks great and works great on the Edge.

http://www.djvu-to-pdf.com/

http://web.appstorm.net/how-to/perso...g-pdfs-online/

Last edited by obsessed2; 02-07-2012 at 10:54 AM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #8
fekhner
Addict

thanks everybody, it looks like conversion is the only way to go then ....
Old 02-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #9
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
That would depend on your abilities as a programmer.

We needed to be able to read a couple of manuals in djvu format so I had our programmer port the QT4 version of djvu to OS/2 - maybe you, or someone you know, could port it or the linux version to android.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #10
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
If you need any help optimizing the PDF let me know. I haven't tried any online optimizers, but PDF Pro 6 does a really good job. You can set up a public link in Dropbox and I can download it, optimize it, and set a public link back in Dropbox where you can download it from. PM me if you need any help.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:56 AM   #11
fekhner
Addict

thanks a lot for the offer obsessed2, I just tried an-online conversion solution, which produces a 15.2 MB PDF file out of a 5.8 MB djvu file, so that is not so bad, and I think I will continue using it, unless you can do much better than that of course ....

ivanjt, I unfortunately do not have any particular programming skills, but I do not really understand your suggestion in any case: VuDroid, which is the direct continuation of Djvudroid, is an android application for reading djvu, the problem is that it allows reading only on the lcd side ...

Last edited by fekhner; 02-08-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:04 AM   #12
kammerer
Connoisseur
kammerer doesn't litterkammerer doesn't litter

Device: nook
try Orion Viewer:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=165609
kammerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:58 AM   #13
fekhner
Addict

I did, it works very well ... on the LCD side not the e-ink side.
Since half my library is djvu and conversion will be painful, I will look a bit further for a solution, what gives me hope is that javese has apparently managed to control the e-ink side, see his thread on Apdf, a full screen alternative to the native PDF viewer on the e-ink side, did someone manage to get this working on the full sized edge? I seem to have some problems ...
Old 02-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #14
fekhner
Addict

concerning my initial post, FBReader has been modified so as to appear on the e-ink side,
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=154024
I should have searched before I asked ..., again this gives me hope, maybe this is what ivanjt meant, doing the same modifications for VuDroid as done by javese for FBReader ?
Old 02-08-2012, 08:59 AM   #15
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
concerning my initial post, FBReader has been modified so as to appear on the e-ink side,
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=154024
I should have searched before I asked ..., again this gives me hope, maybe this is what ivanjt meant, doing the same modifications for VuDroid as done by javese for FBReader ?
That is exactly the sort of thing I was thinking about. Unfortunately it was the early hours of the morning after a long day and I was far from being clear in my meaning - sorry.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote