Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-11-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
gardenlover2011
gardenlover2011 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question Kindle and Library books

According to my librarian and the library support site http://www.overdrive.com/resources/d...spx?type=ebook she says the Kindle is not compatible with VIRL's subscription ebook database either. However, this is an issue between Amazon and Canadian publishing, not with the eReader themselves. Publishers in the US have made a deal with Amazon to allow library patrons access. It is possible that the same deal will be reached in Canada one day.
By using Calibre can this reformat library e-books so that I can read them on Kindle?

Last edited by gardenlover2011; 05-11-2011 at 01:04 PM.
gardenlover2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I have heard that Amazon was working on such a deal but did not hear that it had been concluded. I have no doubt that the deal will be extended to our friends north of the border shortly.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2011, 02:41 PM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenlover2011 View Post
According to my librarian and the library support site http://www.overdrive.com/resources/d...spx?type=ebook she says the Kindle is not compatible with VIRL's subscription ebook database either. However, this is an issue between Amazon and Canadian publishing, not with the eReader themselves. Publishers in the US have made a deal with Amazon to allow library patrons access. It is possible that the same deal will be reached in Canada one day.
By using Calibre can this reformat library e-books so that I can read them on Kindle?
Overdrive ePub's can be used on a Kindle by removing the DRM. Without getting into a lengthy discussion on the ethics and/or legality of that, the technology is there and is easy to use. Google Apprentice Alf. Forum rules prohibit us from saying any more than that.

As for whether the Amazon agreement in the US will be extended to Canada? Who knows. Hopefully, yes. But in the meantime, I regularly download and use Library books from the BC Library on my Kindle 3. (And yes, Calibre is part of that solution, but not the total solution.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:49 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The library usage was just announced for the Kindle but I don't think it is actually available yet.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:52 PM   #5
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
The library usage was just announced for the Kindle but I don't think it is actually available yet.
yes it was announced last week of april and the announcement that i read it sounds like about this fall you will be able to borrow books from the overdrive compatible library systems
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There are more eBooks reader and devices that are compatible then what's listed on Overdrive's site.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:32 PM   #7
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by covfam View Post
yes it was announced last week of april and the announcement that i read it sounds like about this fall you will be able to borrow books from the overdrive compatible library systems
US Libraries only initially, according to the announcement. Canadians get to wait a bit.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:28 PM   #8
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
US Libraries only initially, according to the announcement. Canadians get to wait a bit.
perhaps it wont take too long for our canadian cousins to get access to it too! lets hope
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:47 PM   #9
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by covfam View Post
perhaps it wont take too long for our canadian cousins to get access to it too! lets hope
I've been Canadian long enough to expect second-class treatment. Still can't download videos from Amazon. Still no Amazon Prime. Still very, very limited support by TiVo. Oh, and for that I get to pay 20-50% more for the same thing, even though the Canadian $$ is worth more than the US one.

But ask me if I'd even _consider_ moving back?
Old 05-11-2011, 07:55 PM   #10
tarataqa
Our Lady of the Internet
tarataqa began at the beginning.

Device: NookColorCM7;Kindle3SO;iTouch 1G;LG Optimus V
If I were you, I'd go ahead and look at your library offerings from Overdrive.com.

I did this and was appalled that only a few books I wanted were even on their website and every single one of them were "currently unavailable" or I could "get on the waitlist" for it.

Don't they know that digital copies are not physical books?
My guess is licensing problems are making them not ready for prime-time.
tarataqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:22 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
But ask me if I'd even _consider_ moving back?
are you implying something???
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:15 AM   #12
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
I wouldn't hold my breath for it. There are very few books of interest that can be found on overdrive.com. For amazon isn't just a feature checkbox move.

My guess is that it will take a while for this to work in Canada
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:52 PM   #13
Book-Lover
Book-Lover began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle & calibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarataqa View Post

... appalled that only a few books I wanted were even on their website and every single one of them were "currently unavailable" or I could "get on the waitlist" for it.

Don't they know that digital copies are not physical books?
What makes you think that you're the only one who wants those books? I assure you, you aren't.

Every ebook license that a library gets has to be paid for. One borrower at a time per license and the price per license is pretty steep. Plus some licenses run out after a set number of uses, and have to be repurchased.

Libraries, like all other public entities, are strapped for funds. I'm sure they would accept a donation if you'd care to make one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarataqa View Post
My guess is licensing problems are making them not ready for prime-time.
My guess is that you don't know what you are talking about.
Book-Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:10 PM   #14
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Kindle View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath for it. There are very few books of interest that can be found on overdrive.com. For amazon isn't just a feature checkbox move.

My library (BC Provincial "Library on the Go") has lots of books I want to read. I always have my hold list FULL (5 books on hold limit), and as soon as one becomes available, I check it out and add another to the hold list. To say there are "very few books of interest" is just wrong.

As for working in Canada? Yes, that probably will take a while. A separate deal has to be negotiated, I'm sure. But if they're doing it for US libraries, I don't think it will take all that long to happen.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:47 PM   #15
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Kindle View Post

I don't know what books of your interest are but there are plenty of books of my interest available through OverDrive. Now if you're complaining about the selection of your specific library I say speak to them about it. Suggest books you would want to see, donate money for said books. They wont know unless you tell them.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compatibility, kindle, library books