Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

View Poll Results: Did you already preorder the nook?
Yes 63 27.88%
No 45 19.91%
I am going to 10 4.42%
I may be going to 37 16.37%
I am not going to 71 31.42%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2009, 04:22 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Did you preorder the nook? (poll)

Hooray, the nook is almost out.

Have you jumped on the bandwagon and preordered a unit for yourself? Or are you going to wait for the first hands-on reviews?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:56 AM   #2
ipromesisposi
ipromesisposi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle III
I'm not USA resident, so.. I'm f*** (sorry)
ipromesisposi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:21 AM   #3
opitzs
Avid Reader
opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS T1, Kobo Glo
I am outside of the US, so... and of course, what is so great about colorful buttons? That may be nice int he future, when the layout changes with the book you read, or they have an authors commentary in the button row, or animations to further visualize something explained in the book... but until then...
opitzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:00 AM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
1. I am not allowed to buy it, because I am not American.
2. There are way too many unknown factors and questions.
3. I am waiting for first hands-on reports. I was getting ready to purchase Sony PRS-700, but after first hands-on reports I was glad I did not preorder.

Some of the unknown features and questions:
Is it user configurable?
Can I load my own fonts?
Does it have folder support?
Can it load 3rd party applications?
What does it mean "preconfigured WIFI"?
Can I use it with MY home wifi router?
Can B&N see what I am doing with the device?
Can they see inside documents I have loaded using USB?
Can they delete content like Amazon did?
Will they delete content?
How much is it locked down?
What is the real battery life?
Can I switch off 3G network while keeping WiFi on?
The list goes on and on and on ...
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:08 AM   #5
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
I preordered ans I'm really pissed that they charged my CC immediately. That move is actually making me consider canceling. Why charge us for something that won't ship for over a month from now? Greedy.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:28 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
You're missing a few options:

I'd love to but aren't allowed
I might, but aren't allowed
I won't but aren't allowed to anyway.

I'd go for my third option. It looks nice, but I'd want to see user reviews first.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:10 AM   #7
Janet54
Connoisseur
Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

Device: Voyage, Fire HDX, Fire Phone, Galaxy Note 8,10.9
I am thinking about it but want to wait to see what Apple comes out with. I have the Kindle and use my Iphone Kindle app often. I also have an internet business and travel. A kindle size ebook/computer would be a perfect match for me.
Janet54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:21 AM   #8
spec2
Enthusiast
spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
If I was buying my first reader I'd buy the Nook no question. From what I've seen it's the most innovative reader yet. It's 100% lustworthy. But I have a Sony 505 so it's hard for me to justify buying.

It's not really clear if the BN DRM will work with other ePub compat readers, but I don't think digital readers will ever gain traction until the DRM is transparent like it is now with music downloads. New readers are nice but kind of useless if you are locked into a single bookseller for content (not including pubic domain books, of course).
spec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:42 AM   #9
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
I preordered ans I'm really pissed that they charged my CC immediately. That move is actually making me consider canceling. Why charge us for something that won't ship for over a month from now? Greedy.
Actually, that's illegal. They should know better. They are not allowed to charge the credit card until they ship - not before.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #10
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by spec2 View Post
It's not really clear if the BN DRM will work with other ePub compat readers, but I don't think digital readers will ever gain traction until the DRM is transparent like it is now with music downloads.
Most music downloads don't have DRM anymore.

But what you say is basically true. Allow me to rephrase:
I don't think digital readers will ever gain traction until DRM is eliminated.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:20 AM   #11
The Hooded Claw
Connoisseur
The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Android phone with Kindle app, Kindle 4 in reserve
I just bought a Kindle 2, and am interested in getting a second reader, but I want one that gives some substantial differences from my Kindle 2--I'll probably either get one that has a larger screen (like Kindle DX) for home reading, or a device that is more portable (perhaps the Sony PRS-300) to take with me on travel. Unfortunately, the Nook seems mostly to duplicate the traits of my Kindle 2 by being a sort of general purpose reader. I'm still curious, because if B&N releases a second more specialized reader, it will probably have many Nookish <heh> traits.

Also, I doubt I'll get any new reader until folders or some similar solution for managing large numbers of books is implemented! I'm not going to get a Kindle DX for instance, even though I like the screen size.

And I'll say it first....If B&N comes with a smaller portable version of the Nook that is oriented towards travel, I'm eager to get a little Nookie! :-)
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:23 AM   #12
Spoon Man
Groupie
Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 1
I'm considering getting one for a friend, but I'm waiting to see the reviews, I'd hate spend the money on something that sucks.

If this ends being really good though, I'd consider getting one to take on deployment rather than the k1 I have now. The use of an SD card makes this incredibly tempting, its why I have a k1 and not a k2 or DX right now as well.
Spoon Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:27 AM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
Actually, that's illegal. They should know better. They are not allowed to charge the credit card until they ship - not before.
Actually they can charge it as long as they plan to ship within 30 days (which doesn't appear to be the case here).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #14
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Actually they can charge it as long as they plan to ship within 30 days (which doesn't appear to be the case here).
Interesting that B&N would openly break a law.

Any reference to this law? I'd be happy to pursue B&N...unless, of course they plan on shipping earlier than Nov 30th.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:54 AM   #15
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
Interesting that B&N would openly break a law.

Any reference to this law? I'd be happy to pursue B&N...unless, of course they plan on shipping earlier than Nov 30th.
B&N never said that they will ship on November 30. They only stated that the Nook will be available in the stores by then.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote