Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-07-2009, 04:08 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Kindle DX: Adobe the real winner?

We can't deny that we wish it was our hands wrapped tightly around the Kindle DX purportedly pictured here. Until we have our chance, we can only hope that other companies will follow up with their own version of a 9.7-inch E Ink e-book reader. One advantage of the bigger screen is the ability to read full-page sized letter-sized Adobe PDF documents without cumbersome resizing or reformatting. To integrate PDF support, Amazon has licensed the Adobe Reader Mobile 9 SDK. And here is the interesting part: Amazon is by no means the only company who has done so recently. The SDK has been licensed by various device makers, including Bookeen, iRex, Plastic Logic, Lexcycle, Sony and others. Most recently, Neolux Corporation (Nuutbook), Netronix and Tianjin Jinke Electronics joined the fray.

Note that the Adobe Reader Mobile SDK not only adds support for (reflowable) PDF, but also ePub and Adobe Content Server 4 (for DRM-protected content). While the latter two are not yet supported by the Kindle DX, I find the recent development and the increasing number of licensees encouraging in Adobe's attempt to deliver an open file format and interoperability for e-book devices.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:22 AM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Well, amazon's website don't mentions Epub

Too bad that one isn't availible outside us. Might have been the one for me if it can read Epub. And i'm not sure i want anything to do with amazon when it comes to ebooks.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 05-07-2009 at 04:35 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:52 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
One advantage of the bigger screen is the ability to read full-page sized Adobe PDF documents without cumbersome resizing or reformatting.
With "full-page sized" you mean A4- or letter-size. I can perfectly read full-page PDFs in my Cybook, when the page is 9x12 cm
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:54 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
With "full-page sized" you mean A4- or letter-size. I can perfectly read full-page PDFs in my Cybook, when the page is 9x12 cm
Good point.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:06 AM   #5
yagiz
http://is.gd/4flJX
yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 3G
I'm one of those "outside-the-US" cases. I'm glad that it's bringing some competition to the large reader market. I hope it's going to be successful so that more constructors will follow with more reasonable prices. We already have two Sony PRS 505 at home... I was planning to offer one to my brother soon but I'll probably wait a bit more. I can always offer him my old one if I can get myself a new larger reader.
yagiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:34 AM   #6
ruskie
Shade
ruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enough

Device: Hanlin Jinke V3ext running OpenInkPot
Quote:
I find the recent development and the increasing number of licensees encouraging in Adobe's attempt to deliver an open file format and interoperability for e-book devices.
I can't take that statement seriously...

Open file formats and interoperability have nothing to do with supporting half baked DRM schemes. Adobe is only there to entrench it's own technology. Though I'll give them this. PDF is an ISO standard(since 2008). DRM is not a solution it's part of the problem.
ruskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:37 AM   #7
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
So, support for "reflowable pdfs", does that mean that figures and such, are shown properly?
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:55 AM   #8
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
I really don't see the great advantage compared to an IRex Digital Reader (despite the lower price).

The Irex can display PDFs naturally, has several card slots and the display is bigger and it has a higher resolution?

Also the Kindle DX is closed source so who would want that?
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:19 AM   #9
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Because the Kindle DX is much cheaper, has a better screen, longer battery life, comes with free wireless access, the ability to access hundreds of thousands of books the IRex can't, and Amazon will still be around in 10 years whereas IRex may not.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:05 AM   #10
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskie View Post
I can't take that statement seriously...

Open file formats and interoperability have nothing to do with supporting half baked DRM schemes. Adobe is only there to entrench it's own technology. Though I'll give them this. PDF is an ISO standard(since 2008). DRM is not a solution it's part of the problem.
This not just about DRM. Amazon decided to implement the Adobe SDK. This alone is huge, considering that until now Amazon's own format, Mobi, was the one and only format they believed in. And while the DX does not implement all the features of the SDK yet (e.g. ePub + Content Server), it's not a long shot to assume that one day it might.

You may not like DRM, but let's face it - without DRM, publishers, at their current limited state of mind, would be even less helpful in supporting the e-book movement.
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:40 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And of course we'll get ... Here is our free PDF for you since the Kindle DX supports PDF. What Amazon has done is help validate PDF as an eBook format. That is wrong. It sends the wrong message to the publishers and public. If the DX had ePub, then they could get ePub validated. But nope, they had to go PDF only. Amazon is doing the public a disservice with the DX.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:45 AM   #12
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
I really don't see the great advantage compared to an IRex Digital Reader (despite the lower price).

The Irex can display PDFs naturally, has several card slots and the display is bigger and it has a higher resolution?

Also the Kindle DX is closed source so who would want that?
Because the Kindle DX is much cheaper, has a better screen, longer battery life, comes with free wireless access, the ability to access hundreds of thousands of books the IRex can't, and Amazon will still be around in 10 years whereas IRex may not.
The Kindle doesn't have a touch screen, is only available in the States, and doesn't have wifi.

The biggest advantage is price, but that is useless if you're living anywhere else in the world.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:49 AM   #13
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That is wrong. It sends the wrong message to the publishers and public. If the DX had ePub, then they could get ePub validated. But nope, they had to go PDF only. Amazon is doing the public a disservice with the DX.
I disagree. ePub is not the holy grail. It would be nice if we could have one file format for all e-book purposes, but this is not how it is. Some content (in particular textbook content) is heavily designed around a particular paginated representation, and may not make sense to recast in a "liquid" representation. Digital publishing is not just about linear texts such as novels. And printing is not going away any time soon, either. The preferred representation for many books, magazines, and newspapers will remain high-fidelity PDF.
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:53 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorow View Post
I disagree. ePub is not the holy grail. It would be nice if we could have one file format for all e-book purposes, but this is not how it is. Some content (in particular textbook content) is heavily designed around a particular paginated representation, and may not make sense to recast in a "liquid" representation. Digital publishing is not just about linear texts such as novels. And printing is not going away any time soon, either. The preferred representation for many books, magazines, and newspapers will remain high-fidelity PDF.
But if Amazon had brought ePub onboard and then told these companies that in order to sell your product to work with the DX, you need to make ePub, then there's a chance that would happen. I'd rather have ePub text books then Mobipocket text books for one.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:13 AM   #15
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I wonder if Amazon will introduce ePub with the (assumed to be forthcoming) UK Kindle. Many UK publishers seem happy with an ePub-only strategy and I have always wondered why they do this since MOBI is an obvious alternative with a wider reader base. One answer might be that signing up with mobipocket.com automatically allows Amazon to add the title to any Kindle with the right geographic rights, and they prefer to negotiate with Amazon directly. Another might be that they know Amazon will take their ePubs when the times comes.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote