Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-17-2012, 05:39 AM   #1
mmatting
mmatting can extract oil from cheesemmatting can extract oil from cheesemmatting can extract oil from cheesemmatting can extract oil from cheesemmatting can extract oil from cheesemmatting can extract oil from cheesemmatting can extract oil from cheesemmatting can extract oil from cheesemmatting can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
PW: Gesture for chapter jump gone?

With my KT, I could swipe the finger up/down to jump to next/previous chapter. That feature seems to be gone on the PW, right? What about screenshots? Pressing HOME isn't possible too...
mmatting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:24 AM   #2
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Yes, they are gone now. When you select "go to" from the menu, you can quick jump to any chapter.....I do miss the swipe up though.

I also wish they would implement the feature from the Kindle phone app where a two finger swipe up or down would raise/lower the brightness.

EDIT: Screenshots....I have no idea.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
gosmo
gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
A two finger gesture to skip chapters would be great. I suspect a lot of people complained on KT that "My Kindle just suddenly skipped to the next chapter and I lost my place!", not realizing all they needed to do was hit the back button. It's probably designed to save on tech support calls.
gosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

To capture a screen on the PW simultaneously touch the upper-left corner and lower-right corner of the screen. Or you can simultaneously touch the upper-right corner and lower-left corner of the screen.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Yeah, you'd think if you complain about a feature, maybe they'll improve it. Like requiring a longer swipe so you don't do it by accidenta, and if you do, you realize what you did. Nah, they just take it away. Problem solved -- for them.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #6
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Yeah, you'd think if you complain about a feature, maybe they'll improve it. Like requiring a longer swipe so you don't do it by accidenta, and if you do, you realize what you did. Nah, they just take it away. Problem solved -- for them.
Yes, with the Touch accidental swipes drove me crazy.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosmo View Post
A two finger gesture to skip chapters would be great. I suspect a lot of people complained on KT that "My Kindle just suddenly skipped to the next chapter and I lost my place!", not realizing all they needed to do was hit the back button. It's probably designed to save on tech support calls.
Except the back button is not visible until you tap in the menu area. They could have just popped up a Back button that appears at the top of the screen after a jump, to prevent some confusion. I think my Nook and Sony both do this. It would be useful for navigating back from endnotes also. But no, they removed the feature instead.

For books with NCX, you can use Go To to navigate to the next / previous chapter.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-17-2012 at 02:44 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:15 AM   #8
mmatting
mmatting can extract oil from cheesemmatting can extract oil from cheesemmatting can extract oil from cheesemmatting can extract oil from cheesemmatting can extract oil from cheesemmatting can extract oil from cheesemmatting can extract oil from cheesemmatting can extract oil from cheesemmatting can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
Go To requires how many taps instead of that one swipe? Thanks for the screenshot trick, Jack. Any other shortcuts that are not in the manual?
mmatting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatting View Post
Go To requires how many taps instead of that one swipe? Thanks for the screenshot trick, Jack. Any other shortcuts that are not in the manual?
3 taps: one to bring up options, one on Go To button, one on the chapter to jump to. And it won't work with all books. Bring Back The Chapter Swipe, Amazon!
Old 10-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #10
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
I also wish they would implement the feature from the Kindle phone app where a two finger swipe up or down would raise/lower the brightness.
?? I'm finding no such feature... iOS or Android?
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
Yes, they are gone now. When you select "go to" from the menu, you can quick jump to any chapter.....I do miss the swipe up though.

EDIT: Screenshots....I have no idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
?? I'm finding no such feature... iOS or Android?
The two finger swipe up or down raises/lowers the brightness on my Motorola Atrix within the Kindle for Android app.

EDIT: This doesn't work on my iPad3 so it must be exclusive to the Kindle for Android app.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-18-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:56 PM   #12
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The two finger swipe up or down raises/lowers the brightness on my Motorola Atrix within the Kindle for Android app.
Thank you.... nice trick!

I knew you could do that in FBReader, didn't know you could do that in the Kindle app.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post

EDIT: This doesn't work on my iPad3 so it must be exclusive to the Kindle for Android app.
Not seeing that with Kindle app on my Xoom. The two finger pinch/spread to change text size works though.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #14
Eskarina
Zealot
Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.

Device: NOOKColor (sdCM7), Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Not seeing that with Kindle app on my Xoom. The two finger pinch/spread to change text size works though.
It works for me only if I have the phone's automatic brightness disabled.
Eskarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

My phone's auto brightness is disabled too as it is really flaky on my phone, so maybe that is the trick. Also I think they might have different tablet and phone apps.

Tags
firmware, kindle, paperwhite