Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 11-28-2011, 11:03 AM   #1
w1ksz
Connoisseur
w1ksz began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket EdGe
App Install Wants Phone Number

I wanted to down-load an App, but the installation screen wants a phone number. How do I get around that ?

Thanks, Dick, W1KSZ
w1ksz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #2
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
What App is it?
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:03 PM   #3
w1ksz
Connoisseur

ESPN Bowl App
Old 11-28-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
make one up?
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
w1ksz
Connoisseur

No dice ...
Tells me that no devices are associated with this account.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
I wonder if doing the VOIP trick (nettalk) and getting a phone number through that would work?

Goods luck!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:47 AM   #7
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ksz View Post
I wanted to down-load an App, but the installation screen wants a phone number. How do I get around that ?

Thanks, Dick, W1KSZ
You could try contacting the app producers and asking them why they need a phone number and if it isn't essential - other tablet users will have problems - how to bypass it.

They may not even realise that tablets aren't equipped like phones and people with tablets might want to use their app.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:17 AM   #8
cajunseo
Zealot
cajunseo began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
let us all know if you are able to resolve with the app producer...............
cajunseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:11 PM   #9
w1ksz
Connoisseur

None of the responses offer a viable solution. I am coming to the conclusion that
while the PE is useful for some applications, it is no iPhone !!
At the price I got it for I can still use it as an e-Reader, assuming I can download
books to it, which, up until now, is a real PITA.
It can also be used for browsing some of the Internet. Beyond that, it's useless.

Time to move on ...
Old 11-30-2011, 10:16 PM   #10
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
you are very opinionated and do not thing you understand this device.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:03 AM   #11
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
None of the responses offer a viable solution. I am coming to the conclusion that
At the price I got it for I can still use it as an e-Reader, assuming I can download
It can also be used for browsing some of the Internet. Beyond that, it's useless.

Time to move on ...
First and forenost the PE is not a *phone* in any shape or form - it WILL NOT run apps that require phone functions - neither will any other tablet without 3G and phone functions built in.

When you realise the PE, and the larger EE, is nothing more than an Android tablet with integrated e-ink reader and work within those parameters you will find you have a very useful device.

Yes, we do have some restrictions on what apps we can run but that does not make the unit any less useful. My EE has replaced my laptop for most of my out of office use at clients - the laptop is now only used when I need to image a server or some such like task - e-mail, and normal office functions are available to me wherever there is WiFi.

It is not a gaming tablet - indeed it wasn't designed as such - and never will be because of hardware restrictions.

Maybe fot you it is indeed 'time to move on'.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:50 AM   #12
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Time to move on ...
I'm sorry that I didn't have an opportunity to look at this App sooner. However, I downloaded ESPN Bowl Bound 2011 (http://androiddev.orkitra.com/downlo...19060287468262 - Android Developers is a legitimate App site and is associated with the Android Market), and I installed the App on my full-size Edge (Ermine) and it did NOT ask me for a phone number.

I had the choice to sign in with an ESPN Account, Add Team, or Not Now. I selected Not Now and was not asked to make these choices when launching the App again. You can add your favorite team inside the App. Even the Videos play on the Edge. ESPN videos always have. I just watched the second video on the list at the time of this posting (Oklahoma vs. Oklahoma State Preview - Howie Schwab previews the Big 12 Championship game with No. 10 Oklahoma at No. 3 Oklahoma State) and it streamed on the Edge with NO problems.

If you can please tell me where in the App you are using it asks for a phone number I will be happy to take a look at it and see if there is a way to bypass it. Also, please tell me where you downloaded it. Did it come from a legitimate website or did someone download the App using a smartphone and try and share it out to the public? This in itself is not necessarily bad (provided the App is normally free) and more than often the Apps work. However, this may be one instance in which the App is still attached to the phone.

Don't throw in the towel yet. Spend a little time scouring this forum and experimenting with the Edge and you will quickly find that it does a lot more than you think. Of course the Edge is not an iPhone. However, there are literally dozens of uses for it and you have to learn to appreciate it for what it is. Many forum members on the original Entourage site and now the forum members here have paved the way to make the Edge a much more enjoyable experience for all owners. I don't know if you have looked at the 3 Sticky's at the top of this forum, but there is enough information and links to many excellent Apps, Books, Videos etc. to keep you busy for a long time. Also, the Entourage archive contains a lot of great information including the original three part Welcome Basket which to this day still has a lot of valuable information.

The Edge is an excellent e-reader and is supported by many popular book vendors including Google Books and Barnes and Noble. I have a major section in my Resource Sticky dedicated to reading Books, Magazines, and Newspapers on the Edge. Take a look and you may be surprised what the Edge can do. Don't forget to download Adobe Digital Editions to a PC and enable Digital Rights Management on the Edge. That's in the sticky as well.

Finally, don't be afraid to ask questions. It may not always seem like it, but most everyone here are trying to help. Most of the regular forum members are more than happy to try and offer viable solutions given the specifics of the problem.

Last edited by obsessed2; 12-01-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:57 AM   #13
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Would like to conjecture that the phone number here is for advertising purposes, so that htey can call their customers and talk about wonderful products they sell. I give out my old phone number when I get this from software.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:06 AM   #14
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Would like to conjecture that the phone number here is for advertising purposes, so that htey can call their customers and talk about wonderful products they sell. I give out my old phone number when I get this from software.

The ESPN Bowl Bound 2011 App did not ask for a phone number. However, yours is a good suggestion. The Bowl App I'm running on my Edge is Ad supported. Ads are displayed at the bottom, but small and hardly in view. Given the popularity of ESPN and the BCS I doubt they had any problem lining up advertising clients which more than pay for the App.

Last edited by obsessed2; 12-01-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:06 PM   #15
w1ksz
Connoisseur

Boy, some of you guys get kind of feisty ... too bad you can't spell !!