Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-21-2010, 09:59 AM   #1
Adolfo00
Adolfo00 began at the beginning.

Device: none
bad format of pdf ebook reader

Hi,

I have a pdf file with images. When I open it with e-book viewer all images have different size,is very difficult to see the text and some images are bigger than the screen , so i have to scroll for see it .
I'm using the version 0.6.44..I don't undestand why it does that...i tried to convert the document in other types but it is the same..
it isn't a problem of my document because I tried with different pdf documents..

Are there any settings that I can do to format it well???
Adolfo00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...-images-tables
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
Adolfo00

thank's for yor response but i don't understand what I have to do to read correctly this type of pdf files.Have I to create a table of contents file???where?..than can I use it for all pdf?
Old 04-21-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Use a PDF reader. calibre's viewer converts PDF's to HTML
Old 04-22-2010, 05:05 AM   #5
Adolfo00

Excuse me, but I really don't understand how can I do that..I understand that calibre's ebook viewer converts all pdf in HTML for print on the screen,so I have to modify the settings of convertions or the css of this HTML?...where I can do that???What I have to modify??...
Excuse me again for my insistence but I want understand, I need more clear answer..
Thank's
Adolfo
Advert
Old 04-22-2010, 05:07 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The point is that conversion of PDF is never going to yield very good results. So if you want to view a PDF as is, use a PDF viewer, not calibre's viewer.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:46 AM   #7
Adolfo00

ok,thanks..I understand , but if I convert it in another format I can see it better?I tried to convert in ePub but the result is the same ..if I convert it in HTML where can i modfy settings?How can I convert it in HTML? I didn't found this options...
Old 04-22-2010, 10:05 AM   #8
Bluesman7
Book 'em Danno
Bluesman7 doesn't litterBluesman7 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The point is that conversion of PDF is never going to yield very good results. So if you want to view a PDF as is, use a PDF viewer, not calibre's viewer.
Kovid,

Since PDF conversion is so hit and miss, do you feel that conversion from PDF to txt (as opposed to mobi for use with a Kindle2) has the best chance of keeping the text as in the original book? (Assuming no images are required.)

Thanks for your thoughts.
Bluesman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:37 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No, all conversion go through a pipeline, the output format is only the last stage of the pipeline.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:11 PM   #10
Bluesman7
Book 'em Danno
Bluesman7 doesn't litterBluesman7 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No, all conversion go through a pipeline, the output format is only the last stage of the pipeline.
Gotcha. Thanks, Kovid.

I guess I'll continue to experiment with the "final" output of the PDF's I convert.

Sometimes the mobi works out fine, othertimes txt seems to work better.
Bluesman7 is offline   Reply With Quote