Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-02-2009, 08:27 PM   #1
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Mac Users, how do you eject your Reader?

I just got my PRS 300 yesterday, and I synced it to my Mac. I transferred a few books onto it using Calibre, and everything worked fine. My only problem is that I don't know how to properly eject the Reader from my Mac after I'm done syncing.

This is what appears on the Reader's screen every time I plug it in (see attachment). There are also two drives that appear -- Launcher and Reader. Even after ejecting those two drives, I still get the same image on the Reader's screen. Is it safe to take the Reader off the USB connection with that display still showing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050611.JPG
Views:	446
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	38472  
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:48 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
however your mouse over the reader icon in calibre, an eject button will appear.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2009, 09:09 PM   #3
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Kovid. Where do I find the reader icon though? I can only see a "Send to Device" icon.

Edit: Found it! Thank you!
Old 11-03-2009, 04:14 PM   #4
Tony Hoyle
Enthusiast
Tony Hoyle began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600
It doesn't work though.. no matter how you eject the reader still says 'Do not disconnect' (calibre also only ejects one of the drives). Probably expecting some kind of signal from the Windows drivers.

If the computer has ejected the device then it's flushed any cached data etc. so there's no problem. Just drag them both to the trash, maybe wait a second or two for good measure, then unplug.
Tony Hoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:27 PM   #5
xtine
Addict

@Tony You're right, I just noticed it now. With only Calibre running, when I eject the reader, only the Reader drive is ejected, but the Launcher drive remains on the desktop. Even when I manually eject Launcher, it still says "Do not disconnect" on the Reader's display.

With Sony's eBookLibrary software running in the background though, when I eject through Calibre, both drives are ejected and the Reader's screen only displays "USB connected" instead of "Do not disconnect."
Advert
Old 11-03-2009, 07:33 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Have you tried to unmount the drives using Disk Utility?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:20 PM   #7
xtine
Addict

@Bob Same thing, reader still shows Do Not Disconnect.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:27 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine View Post
@Bob Same thing, reader still shows Do Not Disconnect.
Well, just disconnect it. As long as you know nothing is being written to it and you have ejected the data drives it will be fine.

BOb
Old 11-03-2009, 08:41 PM   #9
xtine
Addict

Thanks, Bob.

What I do now is sync using Calibre, then eject using eBook Library.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:21 PM   #10
Euroboy
Connoisseur
Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle2 Intl.
I would like to revive this. I eject both drives (reader and launcher) and the wait and disconnect the sony, but the last two times I did this the 600 says something about bad formatting and froze. I had to reset it, surly this cant be right?
Euroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:02 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you ejected the drives then the problem isn't caused by that, likely by something else.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:23 PM   #12
vampmiller
Enthusiast
vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.

Device: kobo aura, kindle voyager.
Is there a way to permanently delete the Launcher folder? It only appears to be holding an older version of the reader install program and taking up space on the reader. This is for a PRS-300...
vampmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:02 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampmiller View Post
Is there a way to permanently delete the Launcher folder? It only appears to be holding an older version of the reader install program and taking up space on the reader. This is for a PRS-300...
No.

BOb
Old 12-17-2009, 04:27 AM   #14
mmmkay
mmmkay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mmmkay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mmmkay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mmmkay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader Touch Edition PRS-600
If you use Sony's Reader Library you can just click the eject icon next to your Reader and it will eject. Once it disappears from the list you can unplug it.
mmmkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:59 PM   #15
TGNY
Enthusiast
TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-600
Whats wrong with just pulling the cord?
TGNY is offline   Reply With Quote