Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 10-19-2008, 05:29 AM   #1
Bokkie
Enthusiast
Bokkie began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
505 pictures.

I'm thinking of adding some pictures to my 505. What I've got in mind are crib-sheets containing common pieces of C# and database code that I use at work but sometimes forget how to do. Is there an optimal resolution I should use that gives me the best quality? I'll be using TechSmith's SnagIT screen capture application and I can resize the image. I'm not sure what the best resolution to use will be?

Second: Is it better to save an image into grey scale before loading it or should I just dump a colour image and let the 505 work it out for me?

Advice appreciated.
Bokkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:11 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokkie View Post
I'm thinking of adding some pictures to my 505. What I've got in mind are crib-sheets containing common pieces of C# and database code that I use at work but sometimes forget how to do. Is there an optimal resolution I should use that gives me the best quality? I'll be using TechSmith's SnagIT screen capture application and I can resize the image. I'm not sure what the best resolution to use will be?
Use a resolution of 800x600.

Quote:
Second: Is it better to save an image into grey scale before loading it or should I just dump a colour image and let the 505 work it out for me?
You'll get better results if you convert to grey-scale first.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2008, 11:13 AM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I'm thinking of adding some pictures to my 505. What I've got in mind are crib-sheets containing common pieces of C# and database code that I use at work but sometimes forget how to do.
Your best bet is probably to create a PDF formated to the size of the Sony reader screen. I think if you search the Wiki those dimensions can be found somewhere. This will preserve your font and formatting.

BOb

PS: Do you use visual studio 2005 or newer? If so, you can create code snippets. They will be available in your IDE with a quick CTRL-Space.

Last edited by pilotbob; 10-19-2008 at 11:17 AM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:16 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Save the images as 256 color gray and the images will be smaller and the 505 will be a very good job of dithering.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 12:17 PM   #5
Bokkie
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
PS: Do you use visual studio 2005 or newer? If so, you can create code snippets. They will be available in your IDE with a quick CTRL-Space.
Bob, thanks for that. I have .Net 2005/8 at home and work. I've not bothered using code snippets before but I'll bear that in mind. Because my laptop at work gets 'refreshed' each year (a company euphemism for clearing out non-sanctioned downloads) I tend to lose a lot of the nuggets I've found.

I also have a licenced copy of a PDF library from www.o2sol.com which we use in our applications to create PDF files. Now that you mention the PDF option I could also see that being very useful and worth exploring further.
Advert
Old 10-19-2008, 04:33 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Bob, thanks for that. I have .Net 2005/8 at home and work. I've not bothered using code snippets before but I'll bear that in mind. Because my laptop at work gets 'refreshed' each year (a company euphemism for clearing out non-sanctioned downloads) I tend to lose a lot of the nuggets I've found.
WOW... that really sucks. Do you have home directory or team directory on your network. This nice thing about snippets is that you can share them in your dev group so that everyone gets the benefit of them and also everyone is using the same coding standards and styles.

BOb
Old 10-19-2008, 05:21 PM   #7
Bokkie
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
WOW... that really sucks. Do you have home directory or team directory on your network. This nice thing about snippets is that you can share them in your dev group so that everyone gets the benefit of them and also everyone is using the same coding standards and styles.

BOb
It's odd working for such a large company delivering imaging applications to about 6000 of our employees around the world, but I'm the only C# developer. True, I do more modern development and the rest of the team of about nine developers do legacy work using VB6. So, mine is the only C# machine and as much as the other guys want to do .Net any snippets I have are more or less exclusive to my machine. We get singled out for a laptop refresh once or twice a year. The network and audit team give a few days notice to back up what we need and then they take the laptop away for a couple of hours and reload the OS and standard applications. It's a pain having to reload .Net and other licenced software as that's not part of the standard build environment. We try to tell them not to but they don't listen.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:13 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It's a pain having to reload .Net and other licenced software as that's not part of the standard build environment. We try to tell them not to but they don't listen.
Wow... as I say, that's a real pain. Can you set up a virtual machine, set up your dev environment and apps on that... then when they take your laptop you just need to copy off the .vhd file somewhere... when they bring it back... copy the VHD back and you have your VM back exactly was it was before.

(I thought some of the things our IT did were onerous.)

BOb
Old 10-19-2008, 09:09 PM   #9
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Bokkie--One thing my husband used to do was to have two operating hard drives for his laptop. He'd have the company sanctioned operating system on one, and his own build with everything he liked on the other. When ever he thought he might get his laptop "reviewed", etc. he'd swap out the hard drives.

Just a thought...

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote