Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-04-2008, 05:18 PM   #1
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
What are the best eBook stores and why?

Reading around in this forum and being a Cybook user, I've found these shops:

Mobipocket.com
Fictionwise.com
Booksonboard.com

I've read my first couple of free ebooks, and I'm interested in some comercial ones. As my first purchase, I would like to buy "The Stand", by Stephen King.

Doing a search, I found out that the book is 17,95$ in Mobi's and Fictionwise shop, while it's 13,86$ in Booksonboard.

I would like to know if Booksonboard has the best prices and a good selection and variety of ebooks. I would like to use your experience to advise me which is the best ebookstore and why.

Thanks

Last edited by Over; 07-04-2008 at 05:19 PM. Reason: And maybe I should have used the word "which" instead of "what" in the title. :)
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 03:08 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There's no one bookstore which has the lowest prices for everything - sometimes a book is cheapest in one place, sometimes in another. If you're bothered about getting it at the absolutely lowest price you have to "shop around".

Personally I generally buy books at Fictionwise. They have an excellent selection, and generally good prices. They also have a "buyer's club" which gives you additional discount off their standard prices.

I note that "The Stand" is currently available with a 100% "Micropay" rebate at Fictionwise - ie it's effectively "free"; you get its entire price back to spend on other eBooks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2008, 07:43 AM   #3
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
I've noticed that, but strangely, Fictionwise doesn't offer a mobipocket version. So I guess I'll purchase this book in Booksonboard. (Is there any reason for the available format version each shop has? What's the general mobipocket format support in Fictionwise? Having a Cybook, I'm not that really interested in eReader format and such.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:57 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But they do have a Microsoft Reader version and, if it's legal to do where you live, it's completely trivial to convert that to MobiPocket. I'm not sure why this particular book isn't available in Mobi format - generally, FW are excellent for Mobi books.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:27 AM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
The free ones are the best for me
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2008, 02:06 AM   #6
alownder
alwonder
alownder began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 9300 smartphone
I have been buying from this bookstore www.ebookcrescent.com almost a year and I am comfortable with my collection.
I think their prices are mostly affordable and they are attentive and very polite.
alownder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:07 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
The free ones are the best for me
Like the Baen ones, you mean? Where do you buy your books if you want one which isn't available "free"?
Old 07-06-2008, 05:37 PM   #8
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Fictionwise.com
Booksonboard.com

Although my preference is Fictionwise for the reasons Harry has already outlined.

Karen
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:27 PM   #9
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Baen, Tor, Gutenberg, here on this site. I've not gotten to a point where I've had to buy a book yet, there are some I want however that are not free. Not sure yet where I will buy them

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Like the Baen ones, you mean? Where do you buy your books if you want one which isn't available "free"?
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:08 AM   #10
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
My favorites, sorted by frequency of purchase (or "purchase" in the case of freebies):
  1. Baen's WebScriptions
  2. Mobileread's free downloads (they're easily accessible here, so no link)
  3. Project Gutenberg (for stuff not yet converted here at MobileRead -- and I usually try to upload an automated conversion for the Sony Reader)
  4. Fictionwise (their DRM-free multi-format books only)
  5. The Baen Free Library. This one would be higher on the list, except that I've long ago downloaded everything they have available.)

Tor may make it on the list if they either keep doing the freebie thing or start making DRM-free ebooks available.

I think that hits every site I've purchased an ebook from (with the exception of the $1.45 I spent at the Sony store to cover the extra cost of the last book I bought using their "$50/reader credit" back when the PRS500 was new).

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:57 AM   #11
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
I've noticed that, but strangely, Fictionwise doesn't offer a mobipocket version. So I guess I'll purchase this book in Booksonboard. (Is there any reason for the available format version each shop has? What's the general mobipocket format support in Fictionwise? Having a Cybook, I'm not that really interested in eReader format and such.
I contacted FW about that once. They said that if one reader format drops its to FW, they will only show that format and won't offer the other formats until they can offer all of them at the same price. I'm assuming that their cost might vary a bit between formats (assuming similar US model of hardback, trade paperback and mass market paperback price reductions), but to sell at the same price they probably have a minimum margin requirement and until all 'costs' are about the same, only the low ones show up on the site.

Presumably the publishers are not strictly responsible for when the price goes down, it is some combination of publisher and the 'format' they license the book to. From a marketing perspective, if a format vendor may try and lock in a publisher by getting the discount x weeks before the competing formats for some volume guarantee, etc.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:55 PM   #12
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's no one bookstore which has the lowest prices for everything - sometimes a book is cheapest in one place, sometimes in another. If you're bothered about getting it at the absolutely lowest price you have to "shop around".

Personally I generally buy books at Fictionwise. They have an excellent selection, and generally good prices. They also have a "buyer's club" which gives you additional discount off their standard prices.

I note that "The Stand" is currently available with a 100% "Micropay" rebate at Fictionwise - ie it's effectively "free"; you get its entire price back to spend on other eBooks.
Alas, the Micropay rebate is no longer available. I was going to get it, but it's a $15 ebook!
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:14 PM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Only through today, The Stand is advertised at Fictionwise. If I'm not mistaken, it is 100% micropay.

OK, here's the text of the flyer for the weekend specials, only good thru the end of today:

100% MICROPAY REBATE SPECIALS!

Get a 100% Micropay Rebate when you purchase or pre-order these titles
with your credit card or with PayPal.

"The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition" [Horror] by Stephen King
http://www.fictionwise.com/servlet/mw?t=book&bi=69719

"Sweet Talk" [Romance] by Susan Mallery
http://www.fictionwise.com/servlet/mw?t=book&bi=69647

"Rules of Deception" [Suspense/Thriller] by Christopher Reich
http://www.fictionwise.com/servlet/mw?t=book&bi=69708

"Somewhere in Heaven: The Remarkable Love Story of Dana and
Christopher Reeve" [People] by Christopher Andersen
http://www.fictionwise.com/servlet/mw?t=book&bi=69673

======================

Here are your Fictionwise Weekend Specials, which have been
specifically selected for you based on eBook ratings you have
submitted or on previous purchases. The more eBooks you rate, the more
likely we will send you special promotions for eBooks that you will
enjoy (you can rate eBooks in your bookshelf). These rebates are
active from the time you receive this newsletter until the following
Monday at 7am ET (USA).

Note: Micropay rebates automatically appear when you add the eBook to
your Fictionwise cart. No need to type in any codes or other hassles!
After your purchase, the rebate amount is added to your Micropay
account. Learn more about Micropay Rebates at:

http://www.fictionwise.com/help/micropayrebatefaq.htm

Your Fictionwise Weekend Specials are:

TITLE: Erdeni's Tiger by Pamela Sargent (60% off Rebate)
LIST PRICE: $1.99 CATEGORY: Fantasy
LENGTH: 16000 words; Reading time: 45-64 minutes
DESCRIPTION: This historical fantasy is set in late 12th century
Mongolia.
A young shamaness must battle the ghost of her grandmother. (Several
characters
in this story also appear in Sargent's novel Ruler of the Sky.
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook182.htm?r=7s3

TITLE: The Dandelion Girl by Robert F. Young (60% off Rebate)
LIST PRICE: $0.69 CATEGORY: Science Fiction
LENGTH: 5500 words; Reading time: 15-22 minutes
DESCRIPTION: While his wife is away, a man meets a beautiful girl in
the country who pretends to be from the future. Day after day, they
return to the same idyllic spot to chat, and he soon finds himself
enamored. However, being committed to his marriage, he's resigned to
the loss of his new love and what she represents. Or is he?...
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook664.htm?r=7s3

TITLE: When the Gods Slept [Timura Trilogy Book 1] by Allan
George Cole (50% off Rebate)
LIST PRICE: $5.95 CATEGORY: Fantasy
LENGTH: 153835 words; Reading time: 439-615 minutes
DESCRIPTION: King of Kings, Lord over Men and Demons Alike: Only one
ruler had ever held that title, and now Iraj Protarus, an orphaned
prince exiled to a small village high in the Valley of the Clouds,
dreamed of being the next great conqueror. The key to his destiny
would be Safar Timura, a youth with an awesome gift for sorcery, whose
visions foretold Iraj's rise to power. And in those visions, Safar
stood at Iraj's side, his soul-blasting spells enabling his friend to
attain his dreams. But Safar had other visions with darker portents,
and his spellbound knowledge raised secrets better left buried. The
road the two men followed would be rich in titles and fortunes, but it
would also be rich in death and disaster, in intrigue--and in
unforgivable betrayal ...
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook29527.htm?r=7s3

TITLE: DeathCraft by Emmet Lynch (40% off Rebate)
LIST PRICE: $5.99 CATEGORY: Science Fiction
LENGTH: 66477 words; Reading time: 189-265 minutes
DESCRIPTION: Pilot had been dead for just over 5000 years. But he
still got around pretty well! It's amazing what a demon in the service
of Satan can get into. Inside his ancient leather jacket, a brown rat
stirred, troubled by dreams of cats no doubt. Pilot's nightmares were
far worse. It's not easy to forget 300 years in the Lake of Fire. Now
he sat astride a large and dangerous jet-bike, the best that 23rd
century military technology could supply. The rat woke and crawled up
onto his shoulder, sat and surveyed the view. Beautiful green rolling
hills with azure blue skies punctured with puffy clouds of grey
anti-aircraft missile explosions. It almost looked like Wales. Pilot
looked at his pet rat, an animal that inspired almost universal
hatred. "What will we do today?" he asked his familiar. "Kill, maim
and torture?" he said, imagining that the rat had answered, as after
all, a rat cant talk. "Ah, the usual so!" He pressed an immaculately
manicured thumb to the starter button, and with a lion-like growl the
engine started. With no ceremony or parting quip, just a fly catching
smile, he flew off towards the distant gunfire, the grass and wild
flowers bowing to him in his jet-stream wake. He would add his own bit
of homegrown Hell to the conflict. After all, practice makes perfect,
and he had been in practice for thousands of years.
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook7759.htm?r=7s3

Note: Only one rebate can be applied to an individual eBook. If more
than one rebate is available for an eBook, only the HIGHEST rebate is
applied to the purchase. Learn about Micropay Rebates at:

http://www.fictionwise.com/help/micropayrebatefaq.htm

Last edited by DixieGal; 07-07-2008 at 04:17 PM.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:29 PM   #14
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
I've just extended my membership at Fictionwise for one more year, a very happy customer .
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:51 PM   #15
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
Alas, the Micropay rebate is no longer available. I was going to get it, but it's a $15 ebook!
Dang it, I always give bad info. Sorry!

@Gibbo: Rock of Gib? Lucky you! We visited last year and had a blast. It was in May on the Memorial Day/Bank Holiday, so lots of things weren't working. We ended up taking a taxi tour and it turned out to be better than if they trams or whatever had been working. Beautiful!

Last edited by DixieGal; 07-07-2008 at 04:54 PM.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote