Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 10-24-2011, 07:20 PM   #196
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
Welcome to the borking club. I am your ring leader! chop chop!
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:18 PM   #197
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
now on the serious side. seems that more and more people are borking their devices. we all try to experiment things. without a fail safe recovery procedure either via serial or other we are doom. as I previously said I am prepare to donate to get this done. i understand are people here that are not doing this for money, i thank them, but if the monies are an incentive I will happily donate together with other members of the community.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2011, 06:42 AM   #198
perldude69
Fun-ologist
perldude69 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge, Galaxy S
I need to get a Linux box running. I see that the device has tftpboot. Maybe we can create a script in Linux, that upon initializing the boot, repartitions the ram drive prior to Firmware deployment. I guess we would just need to know the sizes of the partitions. I am assuming that MTD5 is the important one.... ?
perldude69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:11 PM   #199
tekknogenius
Groupie
tekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
Should do the job without any problems - it might be a good idea to get the solder sucker with it as well, that way removing components becomes easy.
I cannot seem to desolder the power switch. Not sure why. I put flux on the solder points, place the tip on those points but nothing really happens, no solder melts away. I even have the iron at 450 degrees F. Any tips???

I've watched a bunch of youtube vids of soldering and de-soldering too. Looks easy enough, but I have had no success thus far.
tekknogenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:52 AM   #200
perldude69
Fun-ologist

My issue has been un-borked....

See here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=154120&page=3

I believe I have a failsafe recovery process now.

-- Jim
Advert
Old 10-29-2011, 10:39 AM   #201
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekknogenius View Post
I cannot seem to desolder the power switch. Not sure why. I put flux on the solder points, place the tip on those points but nothing really happens, no solder melts away. I even have the iron at 450 degrees F. Any tips???

I've watched a bunch of youtube vids of soldering and de-soldering too. Looks easy enough, but I have had no success thus far.
Strange.

First up you have been able to tin the tip of the iron - to tin the iron you let it heat up and then hold the end of the thin flux cored solder against it, the solder will melt on to the tip giving it a coat of solder. It is this coat of solder that is responsible for transferring the heat from the tip to the object you are trying to solder/desolder.

Another thing, never use separate flux on electronic components unless you have the non corrosive type. Always use flux cored solder and if you are finding it difficult to melt the original solder apply the tinned tip to the solder and then apply the cored solder to it - strange as it may seem adding a little more solder usually does what you want and melts the old solder then you can use a solder sucker - while the iron tip is still heating the solder - and remove all the solder at that joint - repeat as necessary.

Since you have put flux on the board make sure you clean it all off once you removed the switch.

The solder we use is grade K 1.2 mm dia with RS3 flux type, although we may use 0.5 mm dia for some small surface mount components.

Good luck.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:33 PM   #202
tekknogenius
Groupie
tekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheese

Thanks. I'll try that. I was not "'tinning" the tip prior. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:11 AM   #203
tekknogenius
Groupie

I finally got my serial port setup correctly. to all.

Here's my setup:
1. RJ45 to DB9 modular adapter
2. 3-wire power cable cut and connected the RJ45 to other end using the tree wires only (slot 2,3 and 5) according to the serial port pinout listed in this thread (1->2, 3->3,2->5)

The RJ45 modular adapter was setup as a standard DB9 (minus the 9th pin). According to the included pinout:
1 Blue
2 Orange
3 Black
4 Red
5 Green
6 Yellow
7 Brown
8 White

This setup was cheaper for me to build because the serial cable was $6.99 then this cost 2.99 for the adapter and 1.99 for the power cable (save $2 LOL). Also, I did not have a way to figure out which wire was attached to which pin in the serial cable. The modular adapter you set it up according to your needs. The hardest thing I had to do was shave the power cable wires down to fit the RJ45 slots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PESerial0.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	667.9 KB
ID:	78336   Click image for larger version

Name:	PESerial1.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	517.0 KB
ID:	78337   Click image for larger version

Name:	PESerial2.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	497.9 KB
ID:	78338   Click image for larger version

Name:	PESerial3.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	449.9 KB
ID:	78339  
Old 11-18-2011, 08:49 AM   #204
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks to all for helping restoring my borked PE. Especially to Nikkie and Perlude (Jim). Now that the device is back and have clues what went wrong (bad blocks on nand,easy repairable via serial, see post 2 on the vicinc thread), are we ready to experiment more?
my understanding is the uboot variables can be setup to boot from sd card first (like with the nook), also any luck with proper recovery? I am open to testing. I think this forum made a lot of progress and helped a good number of users. If we would had this from entourage they would not be out of business. I would loved a PE of the size of 2 nooks sticked together one with eink, one capacitive, with the ability to work individually or integrate. that will be the perfect device, really.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:47 AM   #205
perldude69
Fun-ologist

Now that I have my 'experimental' PE, I am in for hacking the heck out of this thing. Tonight I am going to use a drill and open a port for the serial connection so I don't have to keep taking it apart.

-- Jim
Old 11-18-2011, 10:46 AM   #206
tekknogenius
Groupie

I'm up for experimenting too!
Old 11-18-2011, 12:02 PM   #207
vicinc
Guru

I cut mine with a sharp surgical blade which I heated first, cut trough like cutting cheese.
Mark it first with a marker than got tape on the outside of the marking, than cut slowly from outside to inside. In small steps, first just lining the cut, than going slowly deeper and deeper until I got on the other side. Marking is the most important bit I think.
then I polished it with the polishing bit of a dremel. not to bad. I also cut a piece of black rubber (black PE) to cover the hole when not in use. not a bad job at all.

Last edited by vicinc; 11-18-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:16 PM   #208
vicinc
Guru

Should we start a clean thread for development with 3-4 front posts reserved?
Also do you agree that we should get the uboot to boot from micro sd or usb with a easy recovery (like cw) that will enable the non-technical to recover from a SD/USB.
at least the serial procedure seems ok. I am thinking the nand memory is not the best quality on those, hence the bad blocks errors.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:03 AM   #209
stevesr0
Connoisseur
stevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
After congratulating vicinc (justified), it dawned on me that I was ignoring the contributions of others in helping him solve his problem and demonstrate the value of a serial terminal approach to debricking the PE.

I humbly apologize.

The good fellowship demonstrated by the others supporting effort is what makes this forum so NICE!

Steve
stevesr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:10 AM   #210
stevesr0
Connoisseur
stevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
For easier use of the serial port, would a template showing that could be "pasted" on the cover, make it easier to cut out the right size and shape opening in the optimal place? Especially for those with lesser degrees of experience and confidence at 'dremeling'.

I haven't (yet) bricked my PE, but would like to be able to easily use this approach if it was needed.

Steve

P.S. If people think it is a good idea, I am willing to remove the cover and try to generate a file with a template.
stevesr0 is offline   Reply With Quote