Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-31-2011, 11:07 AM   #31
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
What happens if you power off / power on? Does the dictionary work then???
Doing that seemed to work for me...but then, oddly enough, one random word came up in the HTML-ish format, while others came up as "normal."

On the other hand, I do a lot of font playing/adjusting, looking at Reading Life, etc, etc...so I wonder if going out of a book and then going back in (while still powered on) would make that kind of fix as well.
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:36 AM   #32
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
My dictionary went wonky last night. I powered off directly from the dictionary screen. It then took several minutes and four paper-clip resets before it would power back on. At least the dictionary worked after that.
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2011, 07:28 PM   #33
kklee
kklee is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
I don't know if this is something introduced with the latest firmware. I couldn't find any threads about the problem and I had not experienced it before updating the firmware.

I had updated to 1.9.9 on Thursday night (was on previous version, 1.9.7). Yesterday while I was reading, the screen suddenly stopped responding to page turn taps. No response to swipes either. The menu button brought up the menu, but still no response to screen taps. I turned the KT off and back on and everything was back to normal.

Edit: Forgot to mention battery was around 90%, so it wasn't power.

Last edited by kklee; 07-31-2011 at 07:37 PM.
kklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:58 PM   #34
Pistos
Connoisseur
Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Touch
@kklee: EXACTLY the same thing happened to me today. A bit worrisome, but I'm glad a simple "power off, power on" fixed it. Hopefully it won't happen again, nor often, and if so, hopefully it's easy to fix in the firmware.
Pistos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:50 PM   #35
Janet56
Enthusiast
Janet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Libra, Forma (8 and 32 gb), Sage, Kindle Oasis
I had to do a factory reset the other night because it said my storage was corrupted and then had to download 1.9.9. Then the books I have bought from Kobobooks, they do show up. Takes forever on dial up! But after that I have been having trouble loading books on my KT. These are free epubs from Project Gutenburg which had been on the KT before I had to do the reset.

I used Calibre and send to device and it processes and comes on. The books are not in my library but they are on the device when I look at the files on the reader. I have Windows XP and have been ejecting via the computer instead of Calibre. I did try dragging and dropping the epub files on to the Kobo icon as well, same thing happens, the books are there but not showing up in the library. I have been working on this for two days and I would rather not have to do it but should I do another factory reset and download the firmware update again?

I am also getting the no response to the taps after I have been reading awhile. I love the KT when it works but I have had so many problems I am thinking I should have gotten a Kindle instead. I have an original Kindle and I have converted and loaded these same books on it via Calibre with no problem whatsoever.
Janet56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2011, 10:16 PM   #36
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
The most likely explanation for the problems you are having is that one of your non-Kobo EPUBs is corrupted which explains why you got the 'ereader storage error'. The only way to find out which one of your non-Kobo EPUBS is causing the problem is to do another factory reset and then add the non-Kobo EPUBs, one at a time, with a disconnect from the computer between each add.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:45 PM   #37
Janet56
Enthusiast
Janet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enough

Thanks, I kind of figured that I would have to do that but I really hoped I wouldn't have to! I have downloaded a lot of books from Project Gutenburg, it's going to take awhile. Would it make a difference if I put the PG epubs on a Micro SD card or would the corrupted file still screw up the KT?
Old 07-31-2011, 11:31 PM   #38
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet56 View Post
Thanks, I kind of figured that I would have to do that but I really hoped I wouldn't have to! I have downloaded a lot of books from Project Gutenburg, it's going to take awhile. Would it make a difference if I put the PG epubs on a Micro SD card or would the corrupted file still screw up the KT?
My guess is that the corrupted book would cause problems regardless of where it is stored.

Something you could do that might detect the bad Gutenberg book is to try to open them for viewing in either Adobe Digital Editions or Calibre and see whether they report an error.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:40 PM   #39
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
If you have lots of books, I wonder if using ePubCheck from the command line would help validate them all.

Take a look at http://code.google.com/p/epubcheck/ especially http://code.google.com/p/epubcheck/wiki/Running

Once you have epubcheck installed you could process all ePub's in a directory from the command line as
Code:
for %1 in (*.epub) do java -jar epubcheck-0.9.2.jar %1
assuming of course that directory paths etc were right
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:54 AM   #40
Dave@Kobo
Dave@Kobo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzyh View Post
It's the opposite with me. I didn't have this problem with 1.9.8 but after updating to 1.9.9 I now have that problem with my dictionary.
Hi rizzyh,

Is this the bug about seeing the HTML tags in the definition? If so, can you try rebooting the device and see if that helps?
Dave@Kobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:11 AM   #41
Pistos
Connoisseur
Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

If you're going to do a search through any set of items for a single target, it doesn't have to be a linear search, you can do a binary search. So, in your case, that means loading up half your "possible culprit" books all at once. Check if the problem exists. If so, then take that set, cut it in half, and reapply the process -- if the problem doesn't exist, then use the other half of possible books instead. Repeat until the culprit book is found. With this algorithm, you should be able to find the culprit book among 1024 books in about 10 checks (10 cuts), not 1023 checks.
Pistos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:51 AM   #42
rizzyh
rizzyh began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave@Kobo View Post
Hi rizzyh,

Is this the bug about seeing the HTML tags in the definition? If so, can you try rebooting the device and see if that helps?
Yes it was this bug. It happened the first time I turned it on after the new update. It's been fine ever since I rebooted it. Thanks.
rizzyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:27 AM   #43
Lunchtray
Connoisseur
Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Gen 1
I updated to 1.9.9 and ran into a problem with one of my sideloaded Epubs. Every six pages will kick me out of the book back to the home screen.

To fix this I had to remove my SD card. So something was happening with my sd card that was causing my books to close after a few pages.
Lunchtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:20 AM   #44
Janet56
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info on epubcheck, I will definitely try it and see if I can find the problem - or problems...

I have been opening the books in the Calibre e-reader and things seem to be fine on the ones I have looked at so far. I would presume a book would fail to open if the file was corrupted?

Last edited by Janet56; 08-01-2011 at 11:23 AM. Reason: added info
Old 08-01-2011, 11:25 AM   #45
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Nope. That is not necessarily true. The book can open to read just fine, but not be able to form the necessary *connections* to a Db to be read on a device.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote