Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-05-2011, 12:48 PM   #76
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
A Song of Ice and Fire series - George R. R. Martin

The Gentleman Bastards series- Scott Lynch

The Kingkiller Chronicle series - Patrick Rothfuss

So far everything Joe Abercrombie has written, I think he's up to five books now. Three in a series, two standalones, all excellent.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:53 PM   #77
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Good recommendations there, except that I hardly think it is advisable to start A Song if Ice and Fire before it has been completed.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2011, 08:53 AM   #78
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
So far everything Joe Abercrombie has written, I think he's up to five books now. Three in a series, two standalones, all excellent.
I like Abercrombie, but he's definitely starting to milk a certain character's "Alive or Dead?" status. The absent character's name or title was mentioned 62 times in The Heroes.

Quit diddling around and get on with it already.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:22 PM   #79
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It would be nice to actually know the status of the Bloody Nine...
Old 03-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #80
Grimm
DRM killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
Good recommendations there, except that I hardly think it is advisable to start A Song if Ice and Fire before it has been completed.
I have no problem reading a series that is still being written, though Martin's delay this time has been ridiculous, the series is good enough that I think it's worth it.
Advert
Old 03-07-2011, 03:52 PM   #81
Fayth
Zealot
Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS 350
I just finished The Wise Man's Fear and I think it was better than the first, which I wasn't expecting because the first was extremely good. Definitely pick it up if you haven't already!
Fayth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:19 PM   #82
Grimm
DRM killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayth View Post
I just finished The Wise Man's Fear and I think it was better than the first, which I wasn't expecting because the first was extremely good. Definitely pick it up if you haven't already!
I got it as soon as it was released. Now that I have a bit of time I'm actually able to read it. So far it's brilliant. I'm glad to see more of Auri, I LOVE that character!
Old 03-07-2011, 04:56 PM   #83
Fayth
Zealot
Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
I got it as soon as it was released. Now that I have a bit of time I'm actually able to read it. So far it's brilliant. I'm glad to see more of Auri, I LOVE that character!
Yah, I agree. I was depressed all day today though, cus I have to wait so long for the next one. :'(
Fayth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:53 AM   #84
conanfan
Me Lurk Here Long Time
conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis; PW1+3g; Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro; KF HDX 7;
I'm a lifelong fantasy fan, and love many of the books mentioned here, but some of my all-time favorites are missing from this and the previous thread:

Robert E. Howard's Conan stories (available here as a free download here in epub and mobi/prc format). This is the birthplace of the sword and sorcery genre - strange tales of dark sorcerers, desperate treasure-hunters, haunted ruins, hidden kingdoms and the barbarian/thief Conan wandering Europe, Africa and the Middle East after the fall of Atlantis.

Mythago Wood by Robert Holdstock - Winner of the 1985 World Fantasy Award. Mythago Wood is a terrifying and awe-inspiring story of one family's experiences on the edge of (and eventually into) an ancient British forest, where mythical archetypes are brought to life. It was followed by several sequels, but each succeeding book is a stand-alone novel.

The City of Saints and Madmen; Shriek; and Finch by Jeff Vandermeer - A series of stand-alone books, all set in the strange steampunk city of Ambergris. The books have a remarkably surreal atmosphere, bordering on horror at times.

Little, Big by John Crowley - winner of of the 1982 World Fantasy award, this is considered by many critics to be the finest work of modern American fantasy. Like Mythago Wood, this is a family chronicle (although much more complex) set on the edge of an enchanted forest, presumably in upstate New York. A challenging read at times, it really rewards patience with beautiful prose and an ending reminiscent of 100 Years of Solitude.

Nifft the Lean by Michael Shea - the winner of the 1983 World Fantasy Award, Nifft the Lean tells of a thief and his exploits in grotesque and extreme landscapes and conditions. Really weird and really great.
conanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:23 PM   #85
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
While I agree REH was the father of S&S genre, as least as I know it, his Kull and Solomon Kane stories predate Conan.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:13 PM   #86
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
While I agree REH was the father of S&S genre, as least as I know it, his Kull and Solomon Kane stories predate Conan.
Actually, REH just added "Sorcery" to Harold Lamb's already established "Swords" genre.

I kid... but I do like to give Lamb a bit of credit for the S&S genre, myself. REH was hugely influenced by Lamb's "exotic adventure" stories in which swordplay was almost always featured.

I can't imagine what REH might have accomplished had he lived longer.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #87
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Scott Lynch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
The Gentleman Bastards series- Scott Lynch
Hi Grimm - is the 3rd Bastards in sight in the States at all ? I realise the publishers say November '11, but wouldn't take that as gospel, would you ?
My son & I were both rather taken with the first two, and were delighted to discover a series of 7 were planned.

Then of course, finding out a bit more about Scott, we realised it was going to be a very long and possibly spasmodic release timetable.

Let's hope he is able to come through his desperately debillitating illness, and perhaps find some strength from knowing his work is appreciated and admired by so many readers.

But above all, come through. I'm sure many on the Forum who know his work would agree.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:16 PM   #88
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Lynch obviously has some personal problems he needs to work through. I hope he's successful. I love the first two books.

But even if he was just a slow writer, I'd be willing to overlook long delays. Because unlike many genre authors, he's given us two largely self-contained novels in this series. Yes, Red Skies ended on a bit of a cliff-hanger, but it still had pretty solid resolution overall. Both books so far had a nice "beginning, middle, and end" arc to them.

Unlike others some others I could mention *cough* Rothfuss *cough*