Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-13-2010, 11:31 PM   #1
jduvall
Enthusiast
jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!

Device: none
PRS-300 or PRS-600

With my first choice in ereader out of stock till who knows when the wife told me to look into something else and I found the prs-300 and 600 and got to wondering

The prs-300 is about 100 bucks cheaper lacks an SD card reader so you are limited to only so much space.

The 600 has a card reader (sd and produo) and is an all touch screen...finger prints an issue?

I'm lookin for input on both readers what you liked and what you didnt? Is the touch screen and issue (smearing and smudges?)
jduvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:17 AM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
What was your first choice that is out of stock? Was it a 5" or 6" device?

You will get smudges with 600's touchscreen. Also, depending on your eye sight and what is acceptable text clarity to you the Sony may be a better device. The 600 has nice features like the built-in dictionary, highlighting and note taking.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:26 AM   #3
jduvall
Enthusiast
jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
What was your first choice that is out of stock? Was it a 5" or 6" device?

You will get smudges with 600's touchscreen. Also, depending on your eye sight and what is acceptable text clarity to you the Sony may be a better device. The 600 has nice features like the built-in dictionary, highlighting and note taking.
My first choice was the jetbook (rebadged into libre pro) 5" display.

My biggest concern with the sony 300 is the lack of expandable memory, I know 300ish books is a lot! But it seems like the lack of an SD card is a huge flaw.

I've heard the 600 has a next/prev page button is that true?
Old 03-14-2010, 01:08 AM   #4
csskkai
Enthusiast
csskkai began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600
Yes, it has a next/prev page buttons.
Also, the touch screen doesn't actually collect that many finger prints. It doesn't take very much pressure at all to turn a page or tap an option.
Though be aware that the touch screen gives the screen a bit of a glare. Not that you'll notice though, since you haven't owned another ereader. It's only then that the difference might get to you.
I think it's a great reader. A better choice (imo) than the 300.
csskkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:41 AM   #5
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Check out the Ebook Reader Matrix

If you like the 5" devices check out the Cybook Opus, Pocketbook 360 or the Astak PocketPro. I've heard good things about all of these devices and maybe one will fit your needs.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I've had a Sony 505 for over two years and am perfectly happy using page turn buttons and I do appreciate the clearer screen. OTOH, lots of members have a touch screen and say that, after a while, you don't notice the difference in screen clarity.

Also, I bought a memory card for my 505 and have loaded lots of books on it but seldom actually use it. One thing, it does seem to discharge the battery faster.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:25 AM   #7
jagfan
jagfan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
I have the Sony PRS-300. It is definitely no frills - but I have no intention of taking notes, using wireless, etc. The clarity of the screen is great and I love the overall size of the unit. I save my books on my PC and only keep a few on the reader so the lack of a memory card is a non issue for me. The only option I would have really liked was a dictionary.
jagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:36 PM   #8
colleenFL
Groupie
colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.

Device: PW3, PW1, Kobo N647, Sony PRS-600, Sony PRS-300, various tablets
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagfan View Post
I have the Sony PRS-300. It is definitely no frills - but I have no intention of taking notes, using wireless, etc. The clarity of the screen is great and I love the overall size of the unit. I save my books on my PC and only keep a few on the reader so the lack of a memory card is a non issue for me. The only option I would have really liked was a dictionary.
That's exactly how I use my PRS-300. I delete books from the unit once they are read. If I want to reread later I can always put it back. I keep 30 to 40 books on it so I always have plenty of choice in what to read. It works for me.
colleenFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:46 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Is there any particular reason that you're only considering Sony devices? There are lots of other choices available, some of which have significant benefits over Sony.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:37 PM   #10
coolnamehere
coolnamehere began at the beginning.

Device: prs300
I'm brand-new to readers so fwiw:

I went with the 300 over the 600 because 1) I don't know why I'd need > 50 - 75 books in the reader, 2) paid $170 for it, 3) aren't 100% positive what I wanted in a reader yet so felt no need to get all extravagant first time out and 4) did not like the idea of touching the reading surface or lesser clarity due to the 'feature'.

so I went downscale and after using it the past couple weeks really love the thing (price was probably my #1 factor, being new to readers and all). I got the lighted cover since I do a lot of reading before going to sleep, it's a tidy little package and tbh a 6" reader now would probably seem gargantuan.

personally though one can't really go wrong with any of them imm - having a pile of books in the palm of your hand is a great thing
coolnamehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:22 PM   #11
jduvall
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is there any particular reason that you're only considering Sony devices? There are lots of other choices available, some of which have significant benefits over Sony.
Very few stores are willing to ship to APO addresses and I have a credit card with the px that has no interest and a free shipping coupon so thats the real reason
Old 03-14-2010, 06:51 PM   #12
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
I would try the "Pocketbook 360" for $240.

It has the SD slots and dictionary. Plays mp3 and audiobooks.

I love my PRS-600. If you are worried about "fingerprints" ask yourself this "Do my paperback books have grease and stains on the pages?". Not a problem for me. And if it is for you just wipe them off ( do turn it off before rubbing the touch screen).

If you read much of Terry Pratchett you will want a dictionary. Same if you study foreign languages ( I think that the Pocketbook series have access to multiple dictionaries).

The SD slot bit isn't important unless you like to brag about how many hundreds of books you have on your reader. After all how many books do you read a year? Double it and you'll still have room to add more. And that's without adding a SD card.

The PRS-600 does have a contrast problem because of the touch screen. But if you cahnge the text to bold it's not much of a problem anymore.

If you do get either Sony readers DO get Calibre. So much better than the Sony Library software.

P. S. -I belive that there are a couple of people on MR that can sell a Pocketbook 360 to you.

Last edited by HorridRedDog; 03-14-2010 at 07:01 PM.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote