Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-11-2010, 09:34 AM   #1
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Should I intentionally drain the battery now and then?

So, I've had my 600 for about a month now. I've yet to drain the battery all the way, and I haven't intentionally "charged" it since I got it out (and didn't give it the full recommended time then!). I've just plugged it in from time to time to transfer data, sometimes it gets left hooked up for a while while I futz with Calibre or soPDF or something. So it's spent most of its life between one and three "bars" worth of charge. It ALMOST drained all the way when I was on vacation in Phoenix and wasn't doing a lot of transfers, but it was right before we took a little "subvacation" where I wouldn't have the ability to charge it and didn't want it to run out on me, so I went ahead and charged it for an hour or two before we left.

I've been led to understand that it's good for a rechargeable battery to be fully drained and fully recharged now and then. But how often? If I want to intentionally drain it, what's the best way?
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:46 AM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
actually the drain it full every month really is only necessary with ni-cad and nimh batteries. your reader has a lithium ion battery and doesn't need this procedure. infact li-on batteries should be topped off as often as possible.

the battery meter, however, probably won't be fully accurate until you've gone though a few discharge cycles.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
I agree that a few full discharge cycles are good to calibrate the battery meter. After that you really don't need to drain the battery every time before charging up again.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote