Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-08-2016, 05:19 PM   #1
Samurai
Enthusiast
Samurai began at the beginning.

Device: iPad (4th Gen)
New 2.69 Version Update

Hello, just want to make sure before I update, I have the 2.68 version of Calibre and well, 2.69 is out and it says "1 Plugin Update" too.

Now, is there any chance that something will go wrong after the update? Any other plugins not working or anything wrong with my library/books or whatever? Just wanna make sure before I update, cuz I don't mind staying in 2.68 if there's any chance of something going wrong.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 05:46 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Hello, just want to make sure before I update, I have the 2.68 version of Calibre and well, 2.69 is out and it says "1 Plugin Update" too.

Now, is there any chance that something will go wrong after the update? Any other plugins not working or anything wrong with my library/books or whatever? Just wanna make sure before I update, cuz I don't mind staying in 2.68 if there's any chance of something going wrong.
That notice is for 2 separate updates: Plugin and Calibre
Plugins are done separately . Note if you see a Plugin update, it can be applied to the CURRENT version of calibre.

If you check around here (for posts) before any update that you are worried about. No problem news is good news

Problems are rare: Big problems get jumped upon and a fix is reissued quickly.

I always keep the previous 'installer' , just in case I need to roll back (uninstall current, reinstall the previous). This is rare, but I have gobs of disk space, so keeping previous the version is no pain
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:04 PM   #3
Samurai
Enthusiast

Hmm.. thanks TheDucks!!! And just to be safe, where do I find the installer for the version (2.68) I have right now? Because calibre-ebook.com has the 2.69 for download only.

EDIT: Nevermind. I JUST saw the previous releases link.

Last edited by Samurai; 10-08-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:19 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I always keep the previous 'installer' , just in case I need to roll back (uninstall current, reinstall the previous). This is rare, but I have gobs of disk space, so keeping previous the version is no pain
Same here, although you can get previous versions of calibre easy enough, there are links on the download pages.

Of late I also started to take a backup of my plugins folder before I install or update any plugins. There are no archives of previous versions of plugins.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-08-2016 at 08:26 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:11 AM   #5
Samurai
Enthusiast

Hm.. I just downloaded the new version which needs to be installed. So it's not an update from in-app. Is that a problem with my library? I don't want to have to re-add any books.

Do I have to export all my Calibre data or something before installing and then import them into the new version?
Old 10-09-2016, 11:00 AM   #6
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Simply do the update. It do not change your library or your setup files.

Make, as already mentioned, a backup if you want to have 100% safeness.

An actual library backup is always a good idea if you like your library and do not want to waist the time you spend for building it.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 12:06 PM   #7
Samurai
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingduck View Post
Simply do the update. It do not change your library or your setup files.

Make, as already mentioned, a backup if you want to have 100% safeness.

An actual library backup is always a good idea if you like your library and do not want to waist the time you spend for building it.
Ah, thanks! And will do that..
THough it IS a folder on my system, I mean, besides my hard drive dying suddenly, I don't see a way for my library to disappear. Unless a new version can mess with the files and delete them or something.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:11 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

AND if you do manage to corrupt the Library DB (the books are just standard files and folders with a custom placement)

READ THE FAQ at Calibre.com BEFORE doing anything.
Ask here if you do not understand.
Doing it wrong reduces the easy recovery chances.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:39 PM   #9
Samurai
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
AND if you do manage to corrupt the Library DB (the books are just standard files and folders with a custom placement)

READ THE FAQ at Calibre.com BEFORE doing anything.
Ask here if you do not understand.
Doing it wrong reduces the easy recovery chances.
Damn. hah, now you scared me on installing the new version. Which btw I wouldn't mind not updating, cuz things are perfect for me as it is.
So I'm not updating yet.
Thanks, I'll read the FAQ when I get home back from work.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:03 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Damn. hah, now you scared me on installing the new version. Which btw I wouldn't mind not updating, cuz things are perfect for me as it is.
So I'm not updating yet.
Don't get scared. Updates almost never damage the Library. What happens, in a very few cases, is Calibre loses track of WHERE (non-default) the library IS. All that need, is to point Calibre to the Location.

We get people trying to recover by doing it the wrong way FIRST.

'Adding Books' way is the last resort because any metadata not embedded is lost.

In 6 years of updates, I have used 'recover' once. That was because I did something ELSE that discarded something Global I wanted. I immediately STOPPED Calibre (This stops the creation of UPDATED Metadata backup files: ~3 per min). I recovered, and fixed a few files that the recovery data had updated
Old 10-09-2016, 03:07 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is no reason to ask about updating Calibre. Just do it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 03:44 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
So I'm not updating yet.
You're getting stressed about nothing. Upgrading Calibre is a routine and safe operation. Just do it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 05:02 PM   #13
Samurai
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You're getting stressed about nothing. Upgrading Calibre is a routine and safe operation. Just do it.
Well yeah seeing how everyone is saying is totally safe I'm good. The main reason I hesitated was because of any problems with the library and also because it's an install again and not an in-app update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is no reason to ask about updating Calibre. Just do it.
Well, working on my library with so many books for 3 weeks now, just wanted to be safe and ask. Since updating in general was never a friendly experience for me half the time.. also, I'm new to Calibre.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:51 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
The main reason I hesitated was because of any problems with the library and also because it's an install again and not an in-app update.
Most so called in-app updates, are installs of new versions. The difference is that you hand over control of your system to a third party. There are some stickies in the Related Tools subforum that have user contributed automated installers.

On Windows, if you are nervous about installing something, save a system checkpoint before you install it. Then if something goes wrong you can use System Restore to get back to where you were.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-09-2016 at 07:07 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:44 PM   #15
Samurai
Enthusiast

Ah, thanks for the info BetterRed and GilmaSusan... thank you too, I think you didn't see BetterRed's post cuz you're saying like exactly the same thing with a few differences haha.. anyway, thanks either way.

I did the update and everything's fine and as it were. So, just me being stupid and worrying too much about my library having any issues after the update.