Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 10-11-2008, 07:38 AM   #1
josecastanon1
josecastanon1 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Firmware History

Hi there, i´ll be getting a newly bought Canadian reader this sunday , and was wondering which firmware version is the prefeered amongst the users and why, which is the most stable and or easier to hack, and basicaly i just wanted to know if theres a page wich tracks all the updates history and changes between them, thanks!
josecastanon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:55 PM   #2
Equine
Neigh!
Equine began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I'm a bit confused with the firmwares myself. Sony's website offers a firmware update to 1.1.00.xxxx etc.
But my English (which has french on the back) bought Sony's firmware is boasting 1.2.00.18050

No idea what the story with firmware is.
Equine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:44 PM   #3
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
1.0 is the original 505 (US) firmware
1.1 is the updated firmware, which added reflowable PDF & ePub support
1.2 is the firmware on the UK 505's which as far as I'm aware, just differs from 1.1 by having 'dd/mm/yy' date formats rather than 'mm/dd/yy' formats.

The PRSCustomizer is currently based on 1.1 firmware but, as I understand it, it should be possible to take a dump of 1.2 device to add 1.2 support. I don't know the details of what's involved, though...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:07 PM   #4
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
1.0 is the original 505 (US) firmware
1.1 is the updated firmware, which added reflowable PDF & ePub support
1.2 is the firmware on the UK 505's which as far as I'm aware, just differs from 1.1 by having 'dd/mm/yy' date formats rather than 'mm/dd/yy' formats.

The PRSCustomizer is currently based on 1.1 firmware but, as I understand it, it should be possible to take a dump of 1.2 device to add 1.2 support. I don't know the details of what's involved, though...
if you want to customize your Reader, the only option now is to replace the 1.2 European firmware with the North American 1.1 version. The Universal Flasher apparently checks firmware version and errors out when it sees 1.2.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote