Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 06-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #1
TimSergay
TimSergay began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Unhappy Hello, Calibre can't communicate with iPad

Hello, Calibre community! I am happily fooling around with my father's iPad trying to create ebooks for him from PDFs, but I simply can't get Calibre to communicate with the iPad. I get this error message: ERROR: No device: Cannot send: No device is connected, OR, more often, I get this one:

ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

Under details:
list index out of range
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 58, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 262, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\apple\driver.py", line 208, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\apple\driver.py", line 1380, in _get_library_books
IndexError: list index out of range

I hope there is something elementary that I've neglected to do in setting up the program after installing it. Can anyone help?

Thank you for looking at this!

Tim Sergay
TimSergay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:51 AM   #2
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello and welcome to the site.

happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85856
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:35 PM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Hi Tim, glad that Kovid has directed you to the correct link for a solution - hope we shall see more of you on the boards and/or your father .... we'd be glad to help out in anyway.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:58 PM   #5
Forge
Forge began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 3G 64GB, Kindle 2i
Long time lurker, first time poster. Been using Calibre for a long time with Kindle, now using it directly with iPad (yay!).

I think this may be a new issue.
I had 0.7.0 talking fine to my iPad, I updated to 0.7.1 and now recieve the mentioned "list index out of bounds" any time I try to have Calibre talk to the iPad.

It can't even list the books already on the iPad, it shows the icon, and the amount of free space, but clicking on it gives a blank library pane.

For now, I've gone back to the workaround I've been using to talk to iPad:

Select books, save only epub to folder, ipad temp folder, save. Drag and drop temp folder into iTunes.

This seems to still be working.
Forge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2010, 01:01 PM   #6
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Hi Forge and welcome to MR - you have, probably, already noted we have a specific forum for Calibre and also for Apple (iPad incl.) ?

It may be more useful if you were to post your problem in the Calibre section ...

Slainte ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:04 PM   #7
Forge
Forge began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 3G 64GB, Kindle 2i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Hi Forge and welcome to MR - you have, probably, already noted we have a specific forum for Calibre and also for Apple (iPad incl.) ?

It may be more useful if you were to post your problem in the Calibre section ...

Slainte ...
Indeed, and that's my next stop. I mostly wanted to post here to let Tim Sergey know he's not crazy, and mention my workaround. Thanks!
Forge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:14 PM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Tim and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:11 PM   #9
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Hello and welcome to MR!
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote