Notices

Old 07-21-2009, 12:31 PM   #1
abevege2002
abevege2002 began at the beginning.

Device: sony eBook reader PRS-505
newspapers and magazines

We need newspapers and magazines for the eBook reader 505

people who bought the Sony don't just want to read crappy fiction

We need to start emailing Sony and Waterstones for a start, asking them to provide conversion and do deals themselves with news outlets to provide this

No point asking amazon or kindle.

Otherwise you might as well throw your eBook reader in the bin and buy a Kindle now because without relevant content everything else is as dead as Beta was to VHS...

or VHS to DVD...

If anybody can email/post reviews etc complaining, email your editor for newspapers and ask them to make digital versions compatable

the more complaints they get the more likely we will be to get it

cheers
abevege
abevege2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:34 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Get to know Calibre (it has it's own forum). You'll be able to create your own newspapers and magazines out of RSS feeds (where available). Pretty simple and very customizable.

Edit: Almost forgot. Feedbooks.com has an online feature that will do the same thing.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2009, 01:24 PM   #3
abevege2002
abevege2002 began at the beginning.

Device: sony eBook reader PRS-505
Thanks, that's a good idea but it's no substitute.

I want THIS on my eBook reader...

http://tiny.cc/Q3862

And to get it we can complain here:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/contact-email.pl

repeatedly

cheers
alison
abevege2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:30 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Umm calibre generated newspapers look as good as Amazon generated ones. So what are you complaining about?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:55 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, what Kovid said. I have 2 Kindles and Kovid has a Kindle 2, and we know what the newspapers on the Kindle look like and Calibre's personally generated newspapers are just as good and FREE.
Advert
Old 07-21-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Just to clarify, I did actually buy the Sony 505 to just read crappy fiction.

I know Sony was considering it - I did a survey a while ago where they mentioned if they offered magazines, would I get a subscription. I said yes. If they're there, I'll give them a shot. But waaaay far from a dealbreaker for me.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:22 PM   #7
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
i've seen the papers on the kindle and they don't seem all that great. Most attempts to display papers on portable devices try to keep the layout of the actual paper, which doesn't work all that well.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:30 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre generated newspapers look as good as Amazon generated ones.
The real question is why don't magazines and newspapers generate their own ebook versions using Calibre? They could even charge for them, and keep all the subscription fees.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:34 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The real question is why don't magazines and newspapers generate their own ebook versions using Calibre? They could even charge for them, and keep all the subscription fees.
Who knows. I suspect they won't until I contact them and offer to charge them for the service, just like Amazon does
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:34 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
i've seen the papers on the kindle and they don't seem all that great. Most attempts to display papers on portable devices try to keep the layout of the actual paper, which doesn't work all that well.
Kindle newspapers don't use the same layout as paper newspapers. (no multiple columns, articles are not broken up so no jumping from one page to one near the back). Is there something else you're referring to?
Old 07-24-2009, 08:59 AM   #11
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I guess what I saw was a pdf scan of a news paper or something. What I saw was definitely multiple column, and had to be scrolled horizontally.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote