Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-28-2012, 12:09 PM   #136
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
It's called whining and I hate whiners.
So if you were one of the many people out there who do not know how to convert eBooks, you'd be happy if eBooks were released in a format your device cannot accept? I think you would not be happy.

This is not a matter of I want this now. It's a matter of if we allow exclusivity then we all lose out in the end.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #137
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
It's called whining and I hate whiners.
What if there's a book you REALLY want to read, and it's available as ePub only ? Admitting you can't remove DRM and convert, you would whine too.

Still didn't bought wool even if it's available now, went to read other books in the meantime.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #138
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
I have asked Hugh Let's see how he responds.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:29 PM   #139
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Hugh Howey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
As have I.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #140
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
As have I.
Thanks for asking. I am very interested to find out how Hugh responds. I had a look and it's not like he's gone with the Kindle KDP and we have to wait 90-days. So I don't actually see why he's doing it this way.
Advert
Old 07-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #141
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
They will be available from the middle of September for Nook, Kobo and also at iBooks.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #142
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool paperback

Quote:
They will be available from the middle of September for Nook, Kobo and also at iBooks.
And you can pre-order a paperback now from amazon as well.

Last edited by alansplace; 07-28-2012 at 03:09 PM.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #143
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Does this mean that Hugh is putting up all of his eBooks over at Kobo middle of September or just the zombie one?
Old 07-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #144
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So if you were one of the many people out there who do not know how to convert eBooks, you'd be happy if eBooks were released in a format your device cannot accept? I think you would not be happy.

This is not a matter of I want this now. It's a matter of if we allow exclusivity then we all lose out in the end.
It's so wonderful of you to worry about all those epub device owners who don't know about DRM, but you know... Most of those epub device owners never use any ebook store but they're devices store and if they're smart enough and curious enough to check out Amazon, they're probably smart enough and curious enough to ask around find out how to read it. I'm sure there is a number of books that are epub only that I never see. Don't know, don't care.

But you go worrying about all those Kobo/Nook/Sony readers. I'm sure they'll appreciate it.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #145
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
What if there's a book you REALLY want to read, and it's available as ePub only ? Admitting you can't remove DRM and convert, you would whine too.
You do seem to know a lot about me. Since I *do* know how to remove DRM, I don't whine. And you know, I've long ago past my whining stage. Life is to short to bitch about things you have no control over. If you and Jon want to worry about these things, you both can worry for me.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:03 PM   #146
hughhowey
Enthusiast
hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Does this mean that Hugh is putting up all of his eBooks over at Kobo middle of September or just the zombie one?
I'm putting all my books up at Kobo right now! Just uploaded the second Molly book. Everything else is pending approval.

Kobo just opened up to self-published authors (who didn't want to go through Smashwords) last week. I've been busy prepping files and having my books converted into epubs. I also went through the third Molly book, which had problems as an e-book, and cleaned it up.

All of these books should appear next week. All will be DRM-free, which I'm very vocal about. And I have to tell you, I think Kobo has it going on. I love their website; I love the people who work there; and I love that Wired magazine gave their reader its editors' choice award.

And it's epub, which I'm starting to really, really love.
hughhowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #147
hughhowey
Enthusiast
hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for asking. I am very interested to find out how Hugh responds. I had a look and it's not like he's gone with the Kindle KDP and we have to wait 90-days. So I don't actually see why he's doing it this way.
Amazon has been amazing to me. If I had to live off my sales everywhere else combined, I'd be back at the bookstore and getting a lot less writing done. I also like the lending library, which gets people in with the lure of your book being free. I want to do some promotions with I, ZOMBIE (free days), and this is the best way for me to do that.

The good thing is, as you astutely noted, it's only for 30 days instead of 90. I don't know that I'll do this with other books going forward, but it was an opportunity I wanted to try out. I'm really stumbling my way through all this self-publishing stuff, but I've been rewarded for taking risks so far, for trying new things.

Besides, I'm just saving everyone the awfulness that is I, ZOMBIE. By the time it comes out on other devices, you'll see the Amazon reviews and know to pass on it.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #148
Valhalla
Zealot
Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
First Shift is still not available in the Oz Amazon store. Anyone know if/when it will be?
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #149
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughhowey View Post
Besides, I'm just saving everyone the awfulness that is I, ZOMBIE. By the time it comes out on other devices, you'll see the Amazon reviews and know to pass on it.
I seriously doubt it..
Old 07-28-2012, 06:04 PM   #150
hughhowey
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
First Shift is still not available in the Oz Amazon store. Anyone know if/when it will be?
I heard from Random House last week that they are hoping to have that up in the next two weeks. They took over the rights to the series in the UK/Australia/NZ markets. Their focus has been on getting WOOL ready for the hardback release; now they're shifting their focus to FIRST SHIFT to have that up as an e-book.

Look at it this way: Your wait for SECOND SHIFT will be much shorter than for everyone else!