Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-25-2010, 08:14 PM   #1
conchuot
conchuot began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS 505
Smile Reading magazine on ipad

Have anyone subcribed and read magazines on ipad?
I have Sony PRS 505. I am very happy with this ereader.
I have enjoyed reading a lot of books on this device.
I also like to read many magazines. My friend told me that you can subcribe and read magazines on apple ipad.

I want to know your experience of reading magazine on ipad. please share your opinion. I am planning to buy an ipad if it is good for magazine so that I do not have to carry many magazines while travelling. Thx
conchuot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:54 PM   #2
FourOhFour
HTTP Error
FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by conchuot View Post
I want to know your experience of reading magazine on ipad. please share your opinion. I am planning to buy an ipad if it is good for magazine so that I do not have to carry many magazines while travelling. Thx
There is an app from zinio for reading magazines, but personally I find changing pages unacceptably slow on it. Other than that, though, the sample magazine articles I tried looked great.
FourOhFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:07 AM   #3
jimmypatrick
jimmypatrick began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, iPad
I read all my Calibre magazines on it and they are great.
jimmypatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:08 AM   #4
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
I'm reading Scientific American and Circuit Cellar pdf versions with GoodReader and iAnnotatePDF. Appart from some fonts corruption that need to be solved changing the zoom level, both works fine.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:58 AM   #5
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
yes, i'm reading tons of magazines on the ipad.
In fact, got Zinio with subscriptions. But the zinio-app just doesn't work well (slow), so i downloaded the pdf-files online and read it with goodreader.

The screen is very well readable. But for maxim, the fontsize might be too small. Luckily you can zoom really easily and fast with the ipad.

(oh, the ipad is great for travelguides and manuals too )
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:33 AM   #6
dhiru
Connoisseur
dhiru began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, Irex iliad, sony prs950, kindle Dx, Ipad
I read many magazines downloaded from net in PDF format. iPad is best for magazines. I used cloud readers app, it's very fast and free, it reads PDF,cbr cbz.
dhiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:48 AM   #7
conchuot
conchuot began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS 505
Thanks everyone letting me know your experience reading magazines on ipad. Just order ipad 5 min ago on line.
conchuot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:07 PM   #8
Bitgod
Enthusiast
Bitgod began at the beginning.

Device: iPad / PRS-600 / iPhone 3G
I love reading comics and books on the ipad, but I haven't been crazy about the magazines I've looked at, it's been too clunky have to zoom around to read things. I've heard that comment about some magazines, so maybe it's something they just need to get ironed out and get a common interface going.
Bitgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:17 PM   #9
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
I'm reading Scientific American and Circuit Cellar pdf versions with GoodReader and iAnnotatePDF. Appart from some fonts corruption that need to be solved changing the zoom level, both works fine.
Do you have zoom and scroll? Or do you read in landscape (then just scroll, I suppose)?

I also subscribe to SCIAM, but found it the fonts a bit too small on the Kindle DX (9.7" screen, same size as the iPad).
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:11 AM   #10
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Do you have zoom and scroll? Or do you read in landscape (then just scroll, I suppose)?

I also subscribe to SCIAM, but found it the fonts a bit too small on the Kindle DX (9.7" screen, same size as the iPad).
Yes, iPad has both and work very fast. The concept is the same as in photos. You can zoom with two fingers "increasing" or "decreasing" the space between them and the effect is immediate.

Turn page is a little more slow but only the time you flick your eyes.

However, at least with SCIAM sometimes you need to change the zoom because a line has corrupted and shows the letters unordered (like an anagram).

I read SCIAM panning and zooming. I'm moving top to bottom in colums with my finger, and when I reach end of column I only "launch" the pdf to top next column (with a little practice you can get the perfect effect).

The most near similar way of read is to read microfilmed newspapers that you need to move around the newspaper microfilm over the lens, but better.

I used to read SCIAM (and Circuit Cellar and other technical PDFs) with my DR1000 or my DX (depends of the PDF, some can be read better in one and some in the other) until I got the iPad. Now my DX has been lend to my sister and my DR1000 is sleeping the sleep of the righteous (I only charge it once two weeks to maintain the battery).

Upgrade: I forgot to say that after being reading color magazines in BW e-ink screens, get it in full color is a very impressive impact.

Last edited by rfog; 04-27-2010 at 04:14 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:45 AM   #11
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitgod View Post
I love reading comics and books on the ipad, but I haven't been crazy about the magazines I've looked at, it's been too clunky have to zoom around to read things. I've heard that comment about some magazines, so maybe it's something they just need to get ironed out and get a common interface going.

It all depends on the app you're using. Some PDF-readers are fast, but some (zinio) are terrible...
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:27 AM   #12
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Zinio supposedly had an update today that fixed some of the mess
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:11 PM   #13
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
I used to read SCIAM (and Circuit Cellar and other technical PDFs) with my DR1000 or my DX (depends of the PDF, some can be read better in one and some in the other) until I got the iPad. Now my DX has been lend to my sister and my DR1000 is sleeping the sleep of the righteous (I only charge it once two weeks to maintain the battery)....
Thanks, rfog.

Did you have to zoom or scroll on the DR1000? I was wondering if the half inch bump in size would have made it possible to read a full standard PDF page in portrait, without scrolling. Or was it still too small?
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:38 PM   #14
FourOhFour
HTTP Error
FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
Zinio supposedly had an update today that fixed some of the mess
Yeah. It removed the loading spinner animation. Didn't make it load any quicker, just removed the animation.
FourOhFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:41 AM   #15
rfog
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Thanks, rfog.

Did you have to zoom or scroll on the DR1000? I was wondering if the half inch bump in size would have made it possible to read a full standard PDF page in portrait, without scrolling. Or was it still too small?
Yes, DR1000 has zoom and scroll, but sometimes is so slow that is unusable. The concept is the same as in iPad, but much much much slower. You can drag a rectangle with stylus and it zooms to that rectangle, sometimes is immediate, most of time you need to wait more than 30 seconds to get done. If you select the "hand" you can scroll with stylus with same behavior as with zoom.

I cannot read SCIAM in portrait without margins. In landscape it is more comfortable and readable, but then you need to be moving around the page with the slow screen. And it's bw!