Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-04-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
CarolB
Connoisseur
CarolB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 600
Question If you were to get another reading devise....

What would it be? I have a 600, but my sister is trying to convince me to get a Kindle 2 at tax time to supplament my present reader. She figures with the books she has (hundreds) and the free ones on there all the time that it'll be worth it. I'd consider it, but I'm afraid that if I do, that I'll neglect my 600 and I don't want to do that. I paid good money for it and even though the books are cheaper and the screen a little crisper on the Kindle, I still love my Sony. What would you do?
CarolB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Just because she has "100's" of books, does not mean they are books you want to read. Plus there are free books everywhere, more for your sony (without converting) that for the Kindle....

Your question is "what would you do".... I would strip the DRM off the books she has that I want to read, and read them on my Sony. When I was through reading them, I would delete them. Therefore making it like she had loaned me her old school paper book. That is what I would do.

What you want to do on the other hand, is up to you.

If you like the Kindle, then you should get it. Then if it is to be your reader of choice sell the Sony now while it is worth something.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
My idea for a 2nd reading device is a smart phone. They are very small, and for times that I don't want to take/or have my Sony, I'd have an alternative that is with me all the time. There's many times when we dash out the door for a 'quick trip to (insert place/event here). That 20 minute outing turns into hours & I would have so enjoyed having my reader with me. Since I always have my phone with me, this would be a good alternative for me. Now, I just have to see which carrier hubby decides to go with...our contract is up & I'll either be getting a Droid or an iPhone. Either will be fine by me.
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:36 PM   #4
wolfshades
wolfshades began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
I have a Sony 600 too and have already determined I'm going to buy another device. I'm waiting till the end of January to see what kind of ereader Apple is bringing to the table. The suspicion here is that it will be a next generation reader, incorporating multimedia (think about those newspapers in the Harry Potter books and films).

If Apple lets me down, then Plan B is a Kindle.
wolfshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:51 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolB View Post
What would it be? I have a 600, but my sister is trying to convince me to get a Kindle 2 at tax time to supplament my present reader. She figures with the books she has (hundreds) and the free ones on there all the time that it'll be worth it. I'd consider it, but I'm afraid that if I do, that I'll neglect my 600 and I don't want to do that. I paid good money for it and even though the books are cheaper and the screen a little crisper on the Kindle, I still love my Sony. What would you do?
Let me ask you a question.

Why do you feel the need to "supplement" your present reader?

The "free ones" are available for any reader, anytime. In many places, here as well.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:00 PM   #6
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Buy the Sony PRS 900

Buy the Sony PRS 900 for a new eReader. It beats every other device on the market as of this moment in time.

However, it should be noted that Amazon will introduce the "Cue" at the Consumer Electronic Show in Las Vegas this month. It just may beat the Sony PRS 900. No details on that one yet.

Plus, Apple will introduce "The Tablet," at that show. It well could be a NetBook which can read books AND access the Internet.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:03 PM   #7
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfshades View Post
I have a Sony 600 too and have already determined I'm going to buy another device. I'm waiting till the end of January to see what kind of ereader Apple is bringing to the table. The suspicion here is that it will be a next generation reader, incorporating multimedia (think about those newspapers in the Harry Potter books and films).

If Apple lets me down, then Plan B is a Kindle.
You may as well buy a Kindle now. Apple's new tablet is probably going to be an LCD screen. Besides, do you want to be locked in to only being able to use your purchases with Apple hardware and iTunes?

I lost about $700 worth of music and movies when my mirrored server crashed last week (both hard drives blew and the data is unattainable...don't ask). Got on the phone today with Apple to see about restoring my and my wife's library. You'd figure they have a record of everything we bought over the years. No go. What you pay for is the license to download the content once from iTunes and to store it on 5 devices (including PCs).

If they ever do an ereader, my bet is it will be tied down the same way.

The Kindle is not much better, IMHO.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:03 PM   #8
CarolB
Connoisseur
CarolB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 600
By "free ones" I mean things like Don Brown when all four of his books were free on Kindle. There are alot of free ones on the Kindle that either haven't shown up yet for the Sony (and if they do than I would never think of getting the Kindle) or they just won't, don't know. I don't even mind paying the extra for the books on Sony vs. from Amazon, I don't want to and don't intend to give up my Sony, like you say, I'd be "supplementing" my Sony.
CarolB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:03 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Buy the Sony PRS 900 for a new eReader. It beats every other device on the market as of this moment in time.

However, it should be noted that Amazon will introduce the "Cue" at the Consumer Electronic Show in Las Vegas this month. It just may beat the Sony PRS 900. No details on that one yet.

Plus, Apple will introduce "The Tablet," at that show. It well could be a NetBook which can read books AND access the Internet.
Really? They're finally going to do it?
Old 01-04-2010, 05:27 PM   #10
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
If I had the money for another reader, I'd get an Astak Pocket Pro. I like the smaller screen, and it'd be wonderful to read HTML natively instead of having to convert.

The other filetypes would also be useful, but I don't run into as many of those, and I don't mind the conversion work. I read several blogs/journals, and I'd love to be able to save out posts with comments to read on transit on the way to work; right now, the conversion work is a hassle.

(I would happily pay real money for an app that grabs a cluster of blog/LJ posts, with comments, and throws them all into the same document.)

And folders. Folders would be really, really nice. I don't use collections because I put most of my files on the Reader with drag-and-drop.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:34 PM   #11
bookwerm
Zealot
bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: B&N Nook
For what it's worth, I have a 505, and I'm probably going to sell it to get a Nook. In my mind, the nook is at least as good as the 505. The reason for the Nook - Sony software makes me cry. I know, I know, I use calibre as well, but it just all around irks me that Sony makes a great hardware device, then can't figure out how to give you the software to run it.

Also, there was an article posted here a few weeks ago analyzing average book prices between kindle, BN, and Sony, and the kindle stores were most likely the cheapest, then BN, then Sony. While I know how to de-drm Amazon books to read them on my 505, it would be nice to not have to do that extra step (meaning BN pricing is probably comparable to Amazon for the books i read).

Hope this helps!
bookwerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:49 PM   #12
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
If I had the money for another reader, I'd get an Astak Pocket Pro. I like the smaller screen, and it'd be wonderful to read HTML natively instead of having to convert.
Funny, until about a week ago, I was struggling with whether to get a Sony Daily Edition or an Astak EZ Reader. I like the EZ Reader because of all the different file types it handles and the fact that they regularly release firmware updates.

I like the Daily Edition for the wifi and the fact that I can get RSS feeds from the wireless.

Ultimately, I decided that I would wait to see what new ereaders come out at CES this week. I'm rooting for Astak to come up with a reader that meets my requirements because they seem like a good company working hard to satisfy customers. However, if something else meets my requirements better, then I have to go with it.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:39 PM   #13
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
I'll wait a few months and buy the Sony 900; I'm just a Sony fan; all of my readers have been Sony. My laptop, TV, DVD player, and Amp are all Sony. Hell, if Sony made kitchen appliances I'd buy those instead of Kitchen Aide.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:54 PM   #14
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I want a Kindle so I can use non-English dictionaries and have text to speech, but I am waiting to see what tidings Apple and others bring at the big trade shows. I am taking a very time-consuming course until March, in addition to my job, so I will wait until after the course is done and see what's going on I love my iPod Touch and always felt an oversize ipod would be my ideal device, but if it is just pretty and doesn't have features I am currently lacking, I can probably talk myself out of it. The text to speech is pretty important to me since I don't have a car and hence am always walking to the bus stop etc. And an on-board French dictionary would be a huge benefit to me and worth buying a new device.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:57 PM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwerm View Post
The reason for the Nook - Sony software makes me cry.

Hope this helps!
From reading many of the posts here, it makes lots of people cry..........