Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
EbookNovice
Banned
EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
Calibre: Anyone here use this?

Hi all, I just read about Calibre in another thread and it looks interesting.

From what I can tell, it replaces the Sony Reader software on the PC/Mac.

Currently, I'm happy with using Evernote to upload quotes I highlight in the e-books I read and it's great because I can't accidentally edit the quotes. My full solution is outlined here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225769

However, issue with the Sony Reader software is that there isn't a 'real' cloud solution other than the Evernote functionality.

What can Calibre do better than the Sony Reader software?

Thank you!
EbookNovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Edit metadata, convert any ebook type to any other format, list the books on your device and transfer books back and forth, act as a catalog, it even comes with a built-in reader...

A ton of stuff, but it cannot integrate with the Sony bookstore, and it is not cloud storage. Although you can use dropbox, calibre and calibre2opds together to create your own cloud of ebooks, downloadable via the web browser, this is not the same as managing the cloud that your ebookstore links to your device.

However, it should be capable of doing everything you might conceivably do with the Sony Reader software other than the connection to Sony's servers where they store the books you bought from them and storing annotations. There is an annotations plugin at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2413824 but it only imports from Kindle and a couple of iOS apps at the moment. You could always ask the developer to work on Sony Reader support, though. It would store the highlights in a custom metadata field.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2013, 07:14 AM   #3
hansl
Zealot
hansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Sony PRS-T3S, CoolReader on 4'' Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
You could always ask the developer to work on Sony Reader support, though[snip]
I asked Kovid about a Calibre note import feature for the T2/3 but he is too busy.
hansl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kovid doesn't maintain plugins. Plugins are created and improved by members of the community who are interested in expanding the functionality of calibre in specialized situations.

This plugin in particular is maintained by GRiker and the support thread is here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2413824

Try asking there, if this plugin can be enhanced to add support for Sony eReaders.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
I have the Sony sw installed but only use it when I want to update firmware... I use Calibre for everything else it is miles better than the sony software... I use Dropbox for cloud storage and to load books.. it's quick and simple and (as already mentioned) can be used via the device's browser so you can avoid rooting , there is an epub version of the Calibre manual available on the website it will tell you all you need to know....
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #6
tvuongpham
Banned
tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite 2nd gen, Kindle KB (dead) PRS-T1, PRS 350
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbookNovice View Post

Thank you!

In a single word answer:

Everything.

:-)
tvuongpham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
kitchenwitch04
kitchenwitch04 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire first generation
Do you know where I can get help with a calibre/ kindle fire issue. I am not sure how to use these forums and I need help quickly! Thanks! Tina
kitchenwitch04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenwitch04 View Post
Do you know where I can get help with a calibre/ kindle fire issue. I am not sure how to use these forums and I need help quickly! Thanks! Tina
Post your issue, in a new thread under calibre/devices, HERE. At the bottom will be a button saying "New Thread".
Old 11-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #9
EbookNovice
Banned
EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bla View Post
I have the Sony sw installed but only use it when I want to update firmware... I use Calibre for everything else it is miles better than the sony software... I use Dropbox for cloud storage and to load books.. it's quick and simple and (as already mentioned) can be used via the device's browser so you can avoid rooting , there is an epub version of the Calibre manual available on the website it will tell you all you need to know....
Thanks. I use Dropbox as well.

How do you make notes or highlight quotes on Calibre? Also, how do you transfer these to Dropbox... what text format are they in?
Old 11-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Thanks. I use Dropbox as well.

How do you make notes or highlight quotes on Calibre? Also, how do you transfer these to Dropbox... what text format are they in?
There is no built-in calibre ability, although Kovid has said it is a long-term item on his to-do list, so we will probably see that one day, but maybe not for another year or longer.

There are plugins to import the notes taken by the Marvin iOS app, and the Kindle ereader notes, and it could feasibly be extended to other devices as well, if someone puts in the effort.

They appear as a new custom column in comments form.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #11
EbookNovice
Banned

Alright, thanks, but I think I'll just stick with the Sony software!

I'm not really sure how Calibre is better than what I currently have...
Old 11-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

That sounds eminently reasonable! If it works for your needs, then why install more software that has no benefits for you? Just because many people find calibre a great help, does not mean you must use it as well, if you don't need want or use those benefits.

As long as you are happy using the Sony Reader software to manage your books, you should continue doing so and not worry about what calibre "might" do for your usage needs (unless you have free time, are bored, and feel adventurous enough to experiment, in which case who knows?)

Although as a calibre evangelist, I can't help but hope you will down the road find some desperate need to use it for SOMETHING.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:50 AM   #13
SoCalReader
Enthusiast
SoCalReader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950SC, Sony PRS-T2, (former) Amazon Kindle DX
EbookNovice - compared to some of the other folks on this forum, I too would consider myself a novice even though I have owned a Sony reader for several years now. However, I did finally switch to Calibre because the Sony software would hang on syncing with my reader (PRS-950). This was regardless which reader. Trying everything such as removing and re-downloading books, re-installing the software, nothing worked. Calibre was very easy to install and to manage all my books licences from several source, e.g., Sony, Kobo and Google. However, I concur with eschwartz, no need to add more software unless you are forced to.
SoCalReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:00 PM   #14
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Calibre is central to my ebook reading regime.

Very quick and straight forward.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #15
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:

From what I can tell, it replaces the Sony Reader software on the PC/Mac.

Currently, I'm happy with using Evernote to upload quotes I highlight in the e-books I read and it's great because I can't accidentally edit the quotes. My full solution is outlined here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225769

However, issue with the Sony Reader software is that there isn't a 'real' cloud solution other than the Evernote functionality.

Thank you!
Calibre doesn't replace the Sony software. You can have both.

And calibre is free unless you chose to donate, so you can have the one or both that suits your needs.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote