Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 07-23-2010, 07:37 AM   #16
kilohertz53
Zealot
kilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-350, Augen "The Book"
Although there's no firmware upgrade available now, Augen clearly left the door open for future upgrades via sd card in the settings menu no matter what the manual says, and I'm clinging to that hope (especially for improvements to Adobe drm'ed epub handling, and refinements to the web browser). I can, however, live with "The Book" as is. I plan to keep bugging Augen customer support because, as they say, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease."
kilohertz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:24 AM   #17
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Hi kilohertz53, et al,

I'm glad to hear from someone who has a TB in their hands, and that the news is promising, but from the Augen Forum-thingy, on page 2 of the "The Book" thread:

Since it's using Linux, how do we update the OS? Any plans for new releases of the OS? <snip>

-guest_guest

It cannot be updated. Unit is locked.

- it is this that triggered my question. That plus the fact there is no current firmware download on the Augen website. Did the little CD come with a copy of the firmware, or an install utility?

You mentioned the SD card and the Settings... menu - can you elaborate? I'd take a punt on a TB if I can be sure some of the issues others have found may be fixed.

Cheers,
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:30 PM   #18
kilohertz53
Zealot
kilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enough

Hi, Michael!

Although there is no update yet, and the Augen website has almost nothing about "The Book", the fact remains that the unit has an "Upgrade" item in the Settings menu. When I select it, a window pops up with this message:

This operation will shutdown system and cause your system can not work.
Usage
Insert your sdcard which have upgrade file and click "System" "Waveform" button. The system will reboot after upgrade.
We have not blame to your operation.
If have some question please contact us.

Of course, at this point, I hit "Cancel" or the Home button, because there is no upgrade yet. But what was the point of putting the option in there, with (badly written) instructions, no less, if they never plan to issue any sort of firmware update?

The half-hearted rollout of TB, where each store only had one or two units to sell, also seems to indicate that they're waiting for feedback from the early adopters before making changes. The denials and claims that the hardware is locked just cover them in case they decide to abandon the product before correcting the bugs. Even with the bugs, it's a pretty decent little e-reader.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:30 PM   #19
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Kilohertz53, et al,

many thanks for the information - that is exactly what I was after.

Yes, the instructions are a little garbled (there are worse around, I'm sure!),and some of the responses on the Augen forum showed English was not the writer's first language.

I tend to agree with you that the initial shortage of supply is something of an "initial rollout". I'm sure subsequent releases will show better quality. They must, if they are to survive.

From my reading in this forum,. their first orders of business should be consistent wireless performance, remembering the SD card, and speeding the browser.

Cheers,
Old 07-24-2010, 01:48 AM   #20
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I think for me, I would prefer they concentrate on the ereader functions, particularly being able to use the links, especially in the table of contents. That is the biggest downside for me.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:11 PM   #21
VentureForth
Enthusiast
VentureForth doesn't litterVentureForth doesn't litter

Device: Augen's The Book
Well after a couple of days with the device, I've mentioned the same things that most have noticed.

But I have a question about buying books. The Augen website had, and has subsequently removed, reference to Barnes and Noble and Borders. So I bought a BN book and couldn't get the DRN to carry through to Calibre or TB. The processor is way too slow to download books via wifi, so it all has to come through the PC (at least for me). Other than DRN stripping tools, anypne have any idea how to access these largest libraries?

Also, how do I bowwow books from my library?

Finally, I LOVE the color in the books. The matted display makes it easy to read in the sun. I'm also hoping for upgradability.

Jim
VentureForth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:51 PM   #22
kilohertz53
Zealot

Hi, Jim,

I don't know anything about DRM'ed ebooks from BN, but I download ebooks (pdf ebook and epub format) from my public library's OverDrive service all the time. Here's how:

Step one: download and install Adobe Digital Editions software from

http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/

Step two: follow Adobe's instructions to authorize your computer

Step three: With ADE running, download the ebook from your public library's OverDrive website using the "open" rather than "save" option in the popup window. The ebook will download into the "borrowed" folder of ADE.

Step four: connect the Augen to the computer's USB port. It should be automatically recognized and authorized and show up as a device in the left hand panel of ADE. If your ebook is a pdf, just drag and drop it into the Augen; if it's an epub, you'll have to strip the DRM, and transfer the book through Calibre, because there's a bug in Augen firmware in how it handles epubs transferred through ADE.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:23 PM   #23
mpatterson3
mpatterson3 began at the beginning.

Device: Augen The Book
I'm so jealous! I bought one yesterday and the dang thing conked out on me as soon as I plugged it into my computer. Up until that point I was in love with it.

I reluctantly took it back to Kmart. They're all sold out in my area, so I got a raincheck. I'm still going to buy it again.
mpatterson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:45 AM   #24
clayw1pi
Enthusiast
clayw1pi is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle For PC
The Firmware Can Be Upgraded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Mick View Post
Hi all,

I have read a report elsewhere that the firmware for TB cannot be upgraded, which seems a bit bizarre. The report claimed to be from someone who had contacted the tech support of Augen, and was told this.

Does anyone have any hard info regarding this?
Cheers,
I got a call yesterday from Augen Customer Support in reference to a "Bug" report I had turned in. They called with information on upgrading the firmware which we did. I downloaded a specified file and installed it into the reader. Unfortunately I didn't notice until later that the "Landscape" view of the book text was "upside down". Now I have to call them again today and get that fixed. I'll let you know how that goes.
clayw1pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:49 PM   #25
Metal Mick
Addict

Hi Clayw1pi, et al,

many thanks for your offer re keeping me (and the forum members) up to date.

Sounds like Augen is trying, but has slipped-up with the firmware update. Bound to be a red face or two over the orientation issue. <smile>

I had concluded that perhaps the reference to the firmware being "locked" meant the code cold not be altered by the user - a terminology issue perhaps stemming from the author not having English as a first language.

I'm haunting these pages with interest, for the TB has a fair bit to offer, and I'd like to see it succeed though the market is hotting up and the way may not be so easy.

Regards,
Old 08-03-2010, 08:24 PM   #26
gintzj
Connoisseur
gintzj began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Wifi model
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Can't you get one from Kmart?
I had given a money order to Heartland

anyway had much trouble with them last weekend

as of today it is on a federal express plane or bus and I should have mine on the 5th or 6th

I am tracking it on federal express.

I will let you all know when it appears

ordered on 5/28/2010
gintzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:19 AM   #27
clayw1pi
Enthusiast
clayw1pi is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle For PC
Well gang here's the latest: I called Augen Customer Support and though the gentlemen really tried his best to help me, he was unable to fix the "upside down Landscape Mode." He told me that the company would be sending me a new unit. That's been a week ago and so far I haven't received anything. I think I'll send them an email today and see what the holdup is.

Still I really like the unit and its great to read with. The time doesn't hold. Every time I turn the unit on the time is off. All in all, I still think this is a great product and when they get the bugs out, it'll be even better. I'll keep the feed updated when I hear more.
clayw1pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:10 AM   #28
VentureForth
Enthusiast
VentureForth doesn't litterVentureForth doesn't litter

Device: Augen's The Book
Hmmm. I don't know how to say this nicely. The CS guy you talked to doesn't have a clue. Augen, if they pay attention to their own customer service board, knows that the problem cropped up in their 7/20/10 firmware update (the problem didn't exist with the previous firmware).

Sending a new unit won't fix the problem - a new firmware upgrade will.
VentureForth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:53 PM   #29
gintzj
Connoisseur

I got my TB from Heartland 48 hours ago

I have a smile on my face and I am a very happy camper with the TB

The wifi is okay when I am in the kitchen, but it will keep the signal when I am in the living room.

so far books that I have down loaded from other times are working find

the Pdf and Epub

I had to learn to increase the font on pdf so I could read with my readers

So far the batterey last 8 to 10 hours for me

I recharge in the evening

The web is slow and the joy stick is hard to navigate on the web sites But not a problem

I inserted a 8 mg card and it recogized it immediately

The Calibre after some effort now recognizes the card and I can send books to it.

Playing with the web last night I was able to down load a pdf file on the TB and I was able to open it.

I have to move via the computer for the right place.

I have so much for all your wonderful people and bought from Kmart

I talked to Augen yesteday and when they found my ID and date of unit

She told me that I had the lastest user interface

To close up now

I am very happy with the TB and find no great problem that I can not get a answer to

My hard it tack from heartland last friday and saturday I have now recovered

No bad thoughts on the TB

Thank you guys for all the input I got from you before my TB came

Thank you

Jim
Old 08-07-2010, 06:26 PM   #30
gintzj
Connoisseur

Thumbs up Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilohertz53 View Post
Hi, Jim,

I don't know anything about DRM'ed ebooks from BN, but I download ebooks (pdf ebook and epub format) from my public library's OverDrive service all the time. Here's how:

Step one: download and install Adobe Digital Editions software from

http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/

Step two: follow Adobe's instructions to authorize your computer

Step three: With ADE running, download the ebook from your public library's OverDrive website using the "open" rather than "save" option in the popup window. The ebook will download into the "borrowed" folder of ADE.

Step four: connect the Augen to the computer's USB port. It should be automatically recognized and authorized and show up as a device in the left hand panel of ADE. If your ebook is a pdf, just drag and drop it into the Augen; if it's an epub, you'll have to strip the DRM, and transfer the book through Calibre, because there's a bug in Augen firmware in how it handles epubs transferred through ADE.
I need help

I open some epub book in ade and when I try to list them I can not find them

do I need to save them after I open them

thank you

Jim