Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-28-2010, 04:46 PM   #46
GravesideBooks
GravesideBooks began at the beginning.

Device: Ipaq 3950
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
Okay, I'm new to this game, only been helping my lovely wife get her book(s) out to the world for a couple of months and I've only been here on the forums for a few days, but tell me I'm wrong in that I can see that I'll be butting-heads with a few other authors/publishers in the near future, even if I'm not looking for a fight.

What is it about some people that they seem so full of insecurity, bile and bitterness that they have to stomp their ground, puff their chest and snarl when they put down their opinon; staking an immediate claim of superiority on all fronts even when no one was making such stakeouts.

Really people... we're all here for a common thing, to share our works with the world and to hopefully make a living off it. People can read more than just one book, so it's not like another publisher/author is going to steal that sale.

As a small press publisher I can tell you why, it's called entitlement and I am speaking based on what I have encountered in the horror genre. There are many people who have self published utter crap yet demand their right to be taken seriously and have their say and anything else they feel they deserve without paying their dues. The skip all the rejection and criticism that comes and do not spend the time honing their craft. Don't get me wrong, there have been several great books to come along that have been self published but those are few and far between. Like you said you are not looking for a fight and it will come down to how you handle things when it does happen and unfortunately it will. Just don't let it get you down and stay the course.

Thanks to the internet publishing a book could never be easier but it's even harder to find an audience. I am sure their a couple mid list authors who read this forum that will both agree and disagree with me and I would love for them to join in.

Cheers,

~Dale

Last edited by GravesideBooks; 11-28-2010 at 04:50 PM. Reason: added something
GravesideBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:05 PM   #47
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
I think it's called life .
I second that motion. ^_^
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
Okay, I'm new to this game, only been helping my lovely wife get her book(s) out to the world for a couple of months and I've only been here on the forums for a few days, but tell me I'm wrong in that I can see that I'll be butting-heads with a few other authors/publishers in the near future, even if I'm not looking for a fight.
Actually though, if human nature holds true across all fronts, I'd say that a lot of the problems you're encountering stem from several different things, including insecurities, pride, lack of understanding, being outright naive, or worse. I've seen this kind of stuff in the FOSS world, the tech world, the food world, and gawds, just the world in general for all of the last 38 years of my life. So yeah, it's just people mostly. You can't really get away from it. No matter what you do, someone's gonna be a douche and ruin your day.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:09 PM   #48
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
I've seen this kind of stuff in the FOSS world, the tech world
Aaah, the FOSS world... now that one I know very well and have developed an exceptionally thick skin on that side of my brain. One thing that always amused me was that people cared so much about disliking my software that they put effort into letting me know, rather than just moving on. Nice that 14 years on many of my software packages are crucial to many servers around the world.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:53 AM   #49
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I've recently been on the Nanowrimo forums (I've won!!) and noticed a distinct difference in the tone there and the tone of many other writing forums.
On the Nano forums, the emphasis was on support and encouragement, rather than judgement. A prevailing lack of jealousy; in fact people happily shared their plots and gave ideas they weren't using for others to pick up and run with. I found the atmosphere refreshing and conducive to creativity, rather than the dog-in-the-manger nastiness found on many writing forums. I disagree with whoever said that other artists were worse: musicians happily co-operate with one another and share ideas. They have to in order for the process of music creation and performance to work.

Oh well, back to the Nano forums until they close. Happy bitching
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:38 AM   #50
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

MrPLD: What applications did you help develop?
Old 11-29-2010, 09:22 PM   #51
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Oh awesome! Much respect to you for your generous contributions!
Old 12-01-2010, 05:15 PM   #52
WPotocki
Connoisseur
WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Oh, gosh!

I'm afraid I'm as guilty as anyone in terms of lashing out. I often blame it on living in NY. I daily have twelve fights before I make it to the deli for my coffee. Then have another twelve fights making sure they add the correct amount of milk and sugar. That doesn't take into account all the friction and obnoxious head butting that occurs in the afternoon and evening!

Your post's message is duly delivered and taken to heart. I will try to be less squirelly and more understanding of my fellow human beings. i will take time to shake hands, hug and let bygones be bygones.

I also bemoan the loss of simple manners, but acting ill-mannered doesn't seem an appropriate reaction! Only adds to the problem.

Mea culpa.

Sooo ashamed. Just sooo ashamed.
WPotocki is offline   Reply With Quote