Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
CoolDragon
Addict
CoolDragon doesn't litterCoolDragon doesn't litter

Device: none
Exclamation iRex Technologies files for Chapter 11

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86396

This explains a lot. Let's hope they can still deliver V2 for both dr1000s and dr800s/sg, the bigger question is probably when.
CoolDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:55 PM   #2
nprnncbl
nprnncbl began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Darn it! Just after I decided that the dr800sg was the reader I'd been looking for!
nprnncbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 03:04 PM   #3
jm35
jm35 began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG
This also explains why the IREX phone support has been offline.
jm35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:47 PM   #4
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I guess that's also why they no longer have any product in the U.S. pipeline. It's unfortunate, the 800 is a great product, but their business skills significantly lagged their product skills.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:54 PM   #5
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
If they've filed for Chapter 11 doesn't that mean they are still trading and attempting to re-structure their debt. Seems odd that they appear to have stopped selling units anywhere - including Europe.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 04:14 PM   #6
bigshell
bigshell began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG
Wow, can't believe it...
bigshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:16 PM   #7
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
I guess this is the "big upcoming news" repods referred to.
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:58 PM   #8
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
If they've filed for Chapter 11 doesn't that mean they are still trading and attempting to re-structure their debt. Seems odd that they appear to have stopped selling units anywhere - including Europe.
Perhaps they don't have the funds or credit to buy the components and/or pay for assembly.

Really sad news. I hope iRex somehow makes it through Chapter 11 and back into profitability. I suppose someone might buy the company if that doesn't work. We'll see I guess.

Anyway, thank you iRex for what is still my favorite e-reading device for novels. Love my DR800SG. I wish the best for you guys.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:59 PM   #9
Ride
Ride began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S
I think this is a good thing for iRex. I purchased the DR1000S when it first came out and my experience with iRex has been ... less than mediocre overall. Perhaps they will survive this and become a better company because of it as it pertains to their products, marketing and customer service. This is the beauty of the free market at work.

iRex, I do hope you survive this and emerge considerably better due to the experience.

Best of luck,

Ride

PS: I would suggest that you download both the latest version of the beta and the stable firmwares for your iRex reader from the iRex site. The site could go dark due to the bankruptcy. [http://updates.irexnet.com/]

Last edited by Ride; 06-09-2010 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Added PS on getting the latest firmwares while you can.
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:10 PM   #10
yacoob
Zealot
yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.

Ouch, that's worrying. Just ordered DR800S on Monday. Haven't got it yet, and I'm confident that it'll be better device than my PRS-505 - but potential lack of support is making me think about canceling the order :|
yacoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:27 PM   #11
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yacoob View Post
Ouch, that's worrying. Just ordered DR800S on Monday. Haven't got it yet, and I'm confident that it'll be better device than my PRS-505 - but potential lack of support is making me think about canceling the order :|
It will be a better device than your 505 (I've got both), if you ever get it. Where did you order it from? If it's direct from IREX then Chapter 11 is not good news for you - you become one of their creditors. Eeek!, I'd get on to my credit card company if I were you.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:35 PM   #12
yacoob
Zealot
yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.

Nah, I went through http://www.ebookreaderstore.de - but I haven't talked to them yet. It hasn't yet shipped (perhaps due to stock problems... but if they do have one, I'm not entirely convinced that I should go forward with the order.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:39 PM   #13
zacitana
a happy reader
zacitana has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iRex DR800S :))
very sad news indeed, hope they manage to work it out

go, iRex, go!
zacitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:40 PM   #14
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride View Post
IPerhaps they will survive this and become a better company because of it as it pertains to their products, marketing and customer service. This is the beauty of the free market at work.

iRex, I do hope you survive this and emerge considerably better due to the experience.
I agree with you there. Sometimes companies can reorganize and come out stronger in the end. Chapter 11 isn't always a bad thing.

Quote:
PS: I would suggest that you download both the latest version of the beta and the stable firmwares for your iRex reader from the iRex site. The site could go dark due to the bankruptcy. [http://updates.irexnet.com/]
Good idea.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:16 PM   #15
yacoob
Zealot

Asked for cancelation of the order, we'll see whether the shop will honor that.
It would be good to make that thread sticky, to make sure people new to iRex are aware of the situation, when they visit the forum.