Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-21-2010, 04:36 PM   #16
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I can't think of a way that a DRMed Mobipocket book could have unlimited simultaneous device usage. So yes, I think if it says that, the title must be DRM-free.
Cool, thanks
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:45 PM   #17
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Should be a handy feature. I take it enabling TTS is required, though.

Last edited by Kali Yuga; 01-21-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 06:22 PM   #18
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I can't think of a way that a DRMed Mobipocket book could have unlimited simultaneous device usage. So yes, I think if it says that, the title must be DRM-free.
I'd like to know why Amazon did this though, as your reasoning doesn't mean that they couldn't put a limit on a DRM-free Mobipocket book. No way I can think of they could enforce it, but I could see them doing it.

(Basically, if this is in response to author requests, then they're providing the lip service that they *are* publishing their books DRM-free. But if it's in response to market pressure driving them to offer DRM-free books, which I hope, then I'd think they'd want a more explicit indicator. But maybe this is some sort of trial to see whether or not making them DRM-free affects sales.)
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:33 PM   #19
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Amazon makes the money by selling the Kindle devices, not by selling eBooks right now. So they could advertise "buy five Kindles for the whole family but only one eBook - you all can read it at the same time!", and eBooks without DRM suddenly are an asset for them.

Since I also sell my eBooks in Germany without DRM it was nice to find this option on DTP when they opened the platform to international publishers last week!
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:51 PM   #20
ramboky
Enthusiast
ramboky is on a distinguished road

Device: Bookeen Cybook Opus
Actually the change allows authors using the Amazon Digital Text program to more easily opt-in to DRM, not the other way around. The Amazon Digital text program is DRM free by default. This simply gives authors a one-click tool to add DRM to their publications. No so good news at all...

See: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01...m_drm_changes/
ramboky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert