Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-12-2008, 09:44 AM   #1
FrankN
FrankN began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle Case - There are other options-DIY

I'm amazed at the number of complaints regarding the Kindle case and the limited options for replacement. The majority of the discussion generally centers around the lack of ability to comfortably read with the device in the case. After a futile search for the ultimate case, I simply made my own.

While thousands have taken the razor and Velcro approach to the original case, the only objective reached is that the device no longer falls out. It remains uncomfortable to hold in a natural position while reading. Others have gravitated to the leather "not named" commercial case with pockets to hold stuff. The fact remains that although attractive and business like, it dosen't feel like a book, the device is losely supported by a flap, and there is no practical reason to store business cards in your book (extra pockets).

I took a different approach in making my own, that of holding a book comfortably in any position. I suggest the primary objective in hundreds of thousands of these devices purchased was to enhance the reading experience with limitless access to reading material. When considering an aftermarket cover, sleeve, or pouch reflect on why you purchased your Kindle. I predict that the market will eventually be flooded with expensive designer models that perfectly match your briefcase or shoes yet remain unnatural to hold and read.

Ask questions and try before you buy, don't let fashion override functionality. We have evolved to this point from stone tablets, papyrus, Microsoft Reader and become conditioned to comfortably holding a book in any position while reading.

I've attached a few pictures of covers I have either made for myself or friends simply to stimulate thought. I hope to eventually post instructions for self made covers on my web site. Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	orange open.JPG
Views:	4001
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	12765   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue closed.JPG
Views:	3397
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	12766   Click image for larger version

Name:	patch open.JPG
Views:	3771
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	12767   Click image for larger version

Name:	wild closed.JPG
Views:	3272
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	12768   Click image for larger version

Name:	vopen.JPG
Views:	3078
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	12769  
FrankN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:31 AM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Those look great
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2008, 11:04 AM   #3
Ceili
well, that didn't work
Ceili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheese

Hi there

I'm new to the Kindle (just received it Friday and LOVE it!) but I'd been lurking around for a few weeks while I made my choice! The forums here provided a lot of information which helped me make my decision.

I've been particularly interested in the case issues, not so much because of it's failure... it works perfectly well for me so far... but... it's sooo bland Having seen FrankNs DIY cases (thank you FrankN for posting the awesome pictures!), I thought to make one myself and, if I do say so myself, it's beYootiful and Quite Purple! The one thing I cannot figure out though is how you made your corner/holder/pocket thingies. I'm resourceful if not naturally crafty, so I'd spent most of Saturday either making different types of corner thingies, reading on my new Kindle (Yeah!) or, searching the net for patterns, ideas, etc. I'd rather not put velcro on it just yet... silly, I know!

I hope to see your directions soon, but when you have a moment, would you mind a few questions about the pocket thingies and the binding strip you used? It looked like it had rivets?

Thank you again for posting the pictures! I had no idea my first post would be so long, oi

Ceili
Ceili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:38 PM   #4
FrankN

The corner thing you mention is the magic. I also tried many ways to secure the Kindle, yet allow it to be comfortably held. I make the clip from vinyl coated aluminum, the stuff you trim outside woodwork. After experimenting with far too many prototypes, I made the perfect fit and made a pattern. The Kindle has an odd design being 3/4 inches on the top left and that strange 1/2 inch taper on the bottom. I settled on the metal clip as I could mold it to fit perfectly on top and bottom as well as provide support for the length of the device. With a suede or other gripping surface applied to the underside, it holds fairly secure. I do sew a small Velcro square to the right but only use a 1/2 inch round dot if someone wants to attach to the Kindle for extra security. I am using soft leather as the center binding as it allows the cover to be fully opened to be held on either the left or right. I chose to put it on the inside as it just feels right to hold. The rivets are actually a decorative fastner that I use in making handmade shoes and sandals, another hobby. No apologies needed for your long reply as my response is simply far too wordy!
Old 05-12-2008, 03:29 PM   #5
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
These look snappy, but I am not sure how they improve on the M-edge case I bought and which I very much like. I find it easy to fold the front cover behind the back cover: I have no trouble then balancing the Kindle in either hand (and I have small hands). The pages are easy to turn and, though I almost never bother, it is easy to turn off and on.
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2008, 04:47 PM   #6
FrankN

I'm offer no competition for M-edge and have heard a lot of compliments, especially in comparison to the stock case. I'm just a DIY sort of person that apparently read far too much Emerson and Threau at an impressionable age. I just kind of got caught up in that "marches to a different drummer" and self reliant stuff! It's the kind of thing expected from someone that makes their own shoes.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:02 PM   #7
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
Bravo to you, I wish I were that good with my mind and hands!
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:04 PM   #8
Ceili
well, that didn't work
Ceili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheese

I love color and texture, running my fingers over the fabric and almost feeling the color! Think of velvet...yes... I just might have a green or red velvet case around holiday time
While the leather cases are nice, they don't meet my need for texture or Color! I want Purple! I want Green! possibly together I even checked out Vaja... home of the amazing, colorful, perfectionist type of cases... but they aren't making a case for the readers yet.

I also like the idea of having different choices from day to day and of seeing and touching something I know I had a part in making

So, a leather case may be in my future (once Purple is available) but for now, I'll try to feed my need by putting one (err, or more ) together, hopefully well enough to not only hold things together, but to show off a wee bit as well

Frank, You make your own shoes?? Wow, now That is awesome!
Ceili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:58 PM   #9
FrankN

Awesome is a term not usually associated with my homemade shoes, excentric maybe, according to my wife and children. I discovered that shoemaking was essentially a lost art, thus another quest. I bought lots of fifty year old tools, dusty old books, sewing machines, shoe lasts and some leather. Once again, after lots of trial an error and many protypes, I became a reasonable facsimile of a cobbler. Making a Kindle cover pales in comparison to the instant gratification I get from taking raw materials and making myself a pair of shoes. Regardless, it's just another diversion from my real job!
Old 05-13-2008, 01:04 PM   #10
StephanieP
StephanieP has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Cybook Gen3
Those look really great! I wonder if the measurements could be adjusted for use with other readers? I'd love to make my own cover for my Cybook.
StephanieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 02:30 PM   #11
FrankN

Should be a piece of cake. First determine how you wish to secure to the device, provide enough margin to fully close and you're 95% there. You're guaranteed to grab some attention with a one-of-a-kind cover. Make a statement!
Old 05-13-2008, 03:47 PM   #12
JAcheson
Tech Writer
JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Nook Color, Nook Simple Touch, Vizio Tablet, Nexus 10
One shortcut that might help you throw together a quick DIY case: find a three-ring organizer or binder that is the right size, and zips up around the edges. Then remove the rings and spine, which can usually be done by drilling out 3 or so rivets. Now you have a case you can zip your device into securely. If you pick the right binder, you may have some useful additional pockets as well.

This is how I made a travel case for my Panasonic tablet PC back in mid-2000. It's been great.
JAcheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:48 AM   #13
honeybunny
Connoisseur
honeybunny has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2 GSM
Hey Frank, do you take orders?
honeybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:51 AM   #14
honeybunny
Connoisseur

Nevermind, I saw your other thread that you are thinking of doing it. Awesome! I think you should set up a website to take orders.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:21 AM   #15
honeybunny
Connoisseur

I just purchased a cover from FrankN's eBay store, and can't wait for it to arrive. Between his beautiful cover and the M-Edge cover, it was an easy choice. I'm not the executive type and also don't really care for hard leatherette cases. I will be sure to review FrankN's cover as soon as I receive it!

Tags
alternate cover, diy cover, kindle cover