Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-19-2009, 09:42 PM   #16
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
i too would want to read more reviews about it.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:28 AM   #17
forkyfork
Zealot
forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: It's a long story ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeranen View Post
That really doesn't tell us much. They could have had 500 devices ready to ship or 500,000.
Exactly. It is very common in the video game hardware world to "underproduce" hardware so as to create artificial demand. Sony is notorious for this. They purposely do not meet demand so that the customer fever grows even more. So then, when someone sees a PS2 in the store, they are more likely to impulse buy because they think they may not get another chance.

Methinks B&N is doing something similar. It's risky, but it's a good way to generate interest.
forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:02 AM   #18
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Before I say anything else, I would like to ask...

Has anyone seen a Nook in real life? Is it in the stores yet to look at (obviously not to buy, since it's sold out).

Now onward...

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkyfork View Post
Exactly. It is very common in the video game hardware world to "underproduce" hardware so as to create artificial demand. Sony is notorious for this. They purposely do not meet demand so that the customer fever grows even more. So then, when someone sees a PS2 in the store, they are more likely to impulse buy because they think they may not get another chance.

Methinks B&N is doing something similar. It's risky, but it's a good way to generate interest.
Sony was accused of doing this with the PS2. Similarly Nintendo was accused of the same with the Wii. And closer to home... Amazon was accused of this with the Kindle. Nothing has ever been proven on any of these cases.

A lot of times, new hardware is unavailable because it's new technology and production hasn't ramped up. Apple -- who has never been accused of "underproducing" -- very often has a shortage of MacBooks when a new, major release comes out. Particularly when they switched to Intel. Not because they're "underproducing" but because they are still ramping up or creating the infrastructure for production.

The Nook has sold out until after Christmas even though nobody has seen one in real life. AFAIK, not even journalists have been shown fully functioning versions for review. If B&N is underproducing, they are the stupidest company ever... next to Sony, Nintendo and Amazon of course.

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:10 AM   #19
diokdin
Groupie
diokdin began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, Astak EZ Pocket Pro, Kindle 3 3G
Well, Nov 30 is fast approaching and B&N did said you can try it out in their stores before buying. But if they said they're sold out already will they have a physical device on display on each of their stores that we can play with? And not a cardboard looking Nook.

I was torn with Nook, PRS300 and Astak Pocket Pro. But I got the Astak bec it supports more formats, expandable memory, replaceable battery and it's price. Though Nook do have expandable memory and replaceable battery, there's still the price and formats. I'll observe first for this Nook. And see what people will say about it.
diokdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:47 AM   #20
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by diokdin View Post
Well, Nov 30 is fast approaching and B&N did said you can try it out in their stores before buying. But if they said they're sold out already will they have a physical device on display on each of their stores that we can play with? And not a cardboard looking Nook.

I was torn with Nook, PRS300 and Astak Pocket Pro. But I got the Astak bec it supports more formats, expandable memory, replaceable battery and it's price. Though Nook do have expandable memory and replaceable battery, there's still the price and formats. I'll observe first for this Nook. And see what people will say about it.
I was in a B&N yesterday, and asked one of the guys wearing a Nook label. He said they expected to get their display on Nov 30, but that it would be only one display item.

One display item is still enough to hold it and decide if it fits your hand. Then you just have to order and wait, or wait and order.
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:03 AM   #21
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
it never occurred to me before... they aren't even going to have the devices in the store to look at by black friday! I mean, someone really motivated to get it for a xmas gift, could at least do the "picture in a box" routine (hey! I've gotten more than one picture of skis and backpacks as presents! ) as a promissory note!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:31 AM   #22
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It does seem like B&N was clumsy in its rollout of its e-book store and Nook, introducing the former when the latter wasn't ready. OTOH, B&N's e-book store is designed to operate independently of the Nook if you prefer (they have a workable PC reader app already), so the Nook wasn't vital to using the store, as, say, the Kindle was at first.

If anything, I'd say that B&N is simply trying to get some pre-holiday interest going, even if they haven't been able to keep production on a preferred schedule. None of the dedicated device sellers has managed to produce enough devices to satisfy initial demand (which may be because they simply underestimated demand, and didn't want to be stuck with a warehouse full of dross), so I wouldn't unduly criticize B&N for that.

I do think they should have made more of an effort to have demo devices in ALL stores before the holidays, but again, the realities of production may have prevented that even if they'd initially wanted to do that.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:17 PM   #23
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
One of the high-volume NYC stores now has actual-sized plastic mock ups for touch-and-feel demo. They're set up at a large, dedicated nook counter right by the front door. The guy at the counter yesterday, the product coordinator for the store, knew the product very well.

We chatted for a while about the possibilities of snagging one from inventory on the 30th. His impression, based mostly on the tone of the corporate communications, is that there may not be many sent out to the stores, even the high-volume stores. Also, if the stores get too few in hand, the managers may decide to keep them in stock just in case they have to do any unit swaps for customer service reasons.

I turned him on to Mobileread, by the way. We'll see if he stops by.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:48 PM   #24
PaulGuy
Zealot
PaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enough

Device: GDX, K2i, K3 3G, nook wi-fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootman View Post

They call it misappropriate, I call it stealin' since if I were to do it I'd get arrested for theft.
Fortunately, in the US anyway, it takes more than a plaintiff's assertion before you're guilty of "stealin'".

Also true in this country, sadly, occasionally lawsuits are thrown with the hope that the accused will find it cheaper to agree to a settlement than face the cost of a defense in court.

Looking at both products it doesn't look to me like the case will be a slam-dunk for poor Alex.
PaulGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:30 AM   #25
diokdin
Groupie
diokdin began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, Astak EZ Pocket Pro, Kindle 3 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darqref View Post
I was in a B&N yesterday, and asked one of the guys wearing a Nook label. He said they expected to get their display on Nov 30, but that it would be only one display item.

One display item is still enough to hold it and decide if it fits your hand. Then you just have to order and wait, or wait and order.
Before I got home at 5PM, we went to all bookstores(Books-a-million, Books Gallery and B&N), we also went to Best Buy (to see and play with the PRS300, but there displays are broke). Anyway, someone that works there(B&N) says they expect to have it on Nov 30, but dont know how many will be displayed for customers to test/play with before buying. I ask if they might surprise customer this black friday in putting the device on display earlier but said she don't know.

I guess one is better than nothing....the line of people who wants to play with it will be a bunch and I don't know if I'll be able to get a change that day. So I'll wait.
diokdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:40 AM   #26
ensyed
Enthusiast
ensyed began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Thx for the comments. I had assumed there was a display model in the stores for potential buyers to play with. I guess we have to wait another week.
ensyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:26 PM   #27
Clif_Hamel
Clif_Hamel began at the beginning.

Device: prs500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensyed View Post
I am outside the US so havent seen the Nook. Can anyone, who has tried it at a store, comment on it?
I am waiting for it. My main attraction is that I can read Adobe Digital Editions library books on it. The kindle cannot do it without some hacking of the books.

Thx
Go to th store where you can handle the unit, it's empty but you can at least get the feel of it.
Clif_Hamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:28 PM   #28
Clif_Hamel
Clif_Hamel began at the beginning.

Device: prs500
Go to th store where you can handle the unit, it's empty but you can at least get the feel of it, for those of you in the US.
Clif_Hamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:07 PM   #29
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clif_Hamel View Post
Go to th store where you can handle the unit, it's empty but you can at least get the feel of it, for those of you in the US.
I'm far more interested in the screens. Especially in terms of how the lower display affects reading of the upper display (OW! I'M BLINDED!!!).

So a mock up wouldn't do me much good. I really want to know how it performs. Still hoping it hits stores IRL soon. Not that the wife would let me get one, but still...

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:43 PM   #30
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I really **REALLY** want to like the Nook. I think it'd be a good toy to add to my collection of Readers

But until I get to play with it...mostly I'm concerned with the pretty pictures on the bottom distracting me from the top screen.

I also need to do more research into my Amazon price points compared with B/N...I've already given up on Sony and most of the other e-retailers compared to Amazon.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote