Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-26-2013, 03:27 PM   #31
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
It may also explain why their 'extras' such as reading stats, recommendations appear more polished than their basic ereader software. And you know what they say about 'Good intentions'
I thought new research had discovered that road was actually paved with frozen door-to-door salesmen and the young set among the demons use it for ice-skating on weekends...

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #32
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
While I have the Aura connected to Calibre, Calibre is showing some books as on the device when they haven't been sent there and aren't actually there. Any ideas what's up with that? With a quick glance at the books it looks like they might all be books I've bought from Kobo.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #33
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Kobo now downloads "stubs" of the books to allow you to easily download the full version. This might be controllable within calibre by the "Show Previews" driver option. If not I'll have to defer to davidfor for the right answer.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #34
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
While I have the Aura connected to Calibre, Calibre is showing some books as on the device when they haven't been sent there and aren't actually there. Any ideas what's up with that? With a quick glance at the books it looks like they might all be books I've bought from Kobo.
Your books bought from Kobo can be in these three states as far as the Kobo device is concerned: downloaded; archived; or deleted.

Calibre considers the book to be "on the device" if it is downloaded or archived. But the device says the book is "on device" only if it is downoaded.

I think what might be happening is that your Kobo books are archived, and Calibre considers them to be on the device so has matched them to books in your Calibre collection. You can check this on the Glo by tapping the spanner icon at the botom of the library listing and selecting "show all books", not sure how you do it on the Aura. This will show books that are archived as well as downloaded. The archived ones will have a "tap to download" item in their library listing.

Last edited by GeoffR; 04-26-2013 at 05:59 PM. Reason: ... and so has matched them ...
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #35
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the explanation Geoff. All of the books I've ever bought from Kobo (about 300?) are 'archived'. Don't really like that they're showing in Calibre as on device, since they're not. Not a big deal now with a small number of books I have on the device, but could be a major pain in the butt later on.

Is there any way to have the 'home' screen be set as the library page instead of Kobo's widget or whatever you want to call it? Not any kind of huge issue, but it's what I'd prefer and am used to coming from Kindle.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #36
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Thanks for the explanation Geoff. All of the books I've ever bought from Kobo (about 300?) are 'archived'. Don't really like that they're showing in Calibre as on device, since they're not. Not a big deal now with a small number of books I have on the device, but could be a major pain in the butt later on.
If you delete the archived books then calibre will show that they are not on the device. You can always download them again if you need to by going to the Kobo website and bookmarking the deleted books you want to download.

Maybe an option could be added to a future Kobo Calibre device plugin to allow archived books to be considered as not on the device (I prefer it the way it is, so if that happens I hope it is an option only :-)

Quote:
Is there any way to have the 'home' screen be set as the library page instead of Kobo's widget or whatever you want to call it? Not any kind of huge issue, but it's what I'd prefer and am used to coming from Kindle.
Not that I know of, unless there is a hack somewhere. In an earlier firmware version there used to be a back button so that if you opened a book from the library listing you could tap the back button to get back there. Unfortunately they did away with that and so you have to go to the home screen and then to the library listing. I really hope they bring back the back button in a future firmware update.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #37
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
If you delete the archived books then calibre will show that they are not on the device. You can always download them again if you need to by going to the Kobo website and bookmarking the deleted books you want to download.
I guess it's an option, but I don't really want to "delete" all 37 pages of books from my library on the website for a couple of reasons.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:27 AM   #38
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I guess it's an option, but I don't really want to "delete" all 37 pages of books from my library on the website for a couple of reasons.
That would be painful. You can use the calibre device list to delete kepubs, but I am not completely sure what happens at the next sync to Kobo. I'll have to do some tests.

GeoffR has it right on how calibre is handling this. And I considered an option to ignore archived books when I added the handling for them. I have been a little surprised that there wasn't more complaints. There is actually an unused option in the driver, "Show expired books", that I can rename and use. If I do this, the option will be whether to show or not show the archived books. If they are shown, they will be treated as they are now. If they are not shown, then nothing will be known about them.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:00 AM   #39
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
There is actually an unused option in the driver, "Show expired books", that I can rename and use. If I do this, the option will be whether to show or not show the archived books. If they are shown, they will be treated as they are now. If they are not shown, then nothing will be known about them.
that would be a really neat option!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote