Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
ePub instead of Kobo Format

I have seen a few posts recently where people are using ePubs instead of the Kobo format.

I can understand this if you are using other devices.

But, What benefit does using the regular ePub on a Kobo device give you as opposed to using the Kobo format?

Or is it just a personal preference?
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The big benefit to at least HAVING the ePub version available to you is the fact YOU have a copy of it, and are thus protected from (heaven forbid) Kobo going out of business and the infrastructure to download and sync kepub's ceases to exist.

Some folks also like the fact that they can "tweak" ePubs to remove their dislikes in formatting.

Also if you are a multiple Kobo family (for instance Taming here), all the readers are registered to the same account, and thus if both people read the same book, the Kobo syncing of reading location within an kePub would become annoying.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
People who buy books from multiple sources, not just from Kobo, also use ePubs--either with Adobe DRM or DRM free. My preference is to purchase from Kobo because I read on multiple devices and I really, really like sync. It seems to me that over time the prices at Kobo are pretty much the same as the prices from other book stores. Sometimes you can get a less expensive version from a a place like Amazon, or BOB, and if the difference is more than a dollar or two, I will buy there and read an ePUB. I think price equality may be different in some countries, but for Canadians, this seems true. The implementation of the DOJ lawsuit ruling could turn this upside down, as it is US only (hummm, that family summer house in upstate NY could come in handy)

I check prices using calibre, btw.

Although I prefer to read Kobo ePUBs, I always make a drm free backup for all of the reasons Peter gave. My husband and son read ePUBS so they don't screw up my sync. I read on multiple devices, as stated earlier and they do not.

There is a group of people who never buy books at all. Some of them use Overdirve to borrow library books, and they go onto the Kobo eInk devices as ADE DRM'd ePUBs. Some people get every book they have from torrent sites or other places where books under copyright are made available in ways that may violate the law. I am not giving any kind of opinion about this, just explaining that the Kobo devices are used for ePUBs (or PDFs) if people are getting books in this way.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
Krytes
Enthusiast
Krytes began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
-Reading public domain books: gutenberg offers books in epub format.
-Fanfic: archiveofourown.org also offers fic downloads as plain epubs
-Scanning my own physical books to make a backup copy: this is slow and tedious in the extreme, so I don't do it much, but I generally save such books as epubs unless the formatting is really complicated, in which case they get saved as ordinary pdfs.
-Research papers: usually pdf format.

Until the major publishers start selling books that I want without DRM, those four categories make up all of the books on my device. That's why I've never used kepubs.
Krytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Amazon can easily remove a book you bought from your Kindle and have done this. If you download books to off reader storage much harder to remove a book you have bought.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
I have seen a few posts recently where people are using ePubs instead of the Kobo format.

I can understand this if you are using other devices.

But, What benefit does using the regular ePub on a Kobo device give you as opposed to using the Kobo format?

Or is it just a personal preference?
For me, it's personal preference. I do get books from elsewhere, but when I buy a book, I buy it from Kobo just because. And then instead of using their kepub, I download the epub and read that. The kepub books show their page numbers per chapter – and where that is useful to be able to know how many pages you have left until the end of the chapter, it really annoys me to have no clue how many pages I have left until the end of the book. Luckily, epub page numbers show as page per total.

So, I stick to epubs until kepubs give me the option to choose between pages per chapter or per book total...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:01 AM   #7
voidoid
Connoisseur
voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
The kepub books show their page numbers per chapter – and where that is useful to be able to know how many pages you have left until the end of the chapter, it really annoys me to have no clue how many pages I have left until the end of the book. Luckily, epub page numbers show as page per total.
I don't find it useful at all to know how many pages left until the end of the chapter. It seems to me to be a crazy design idea and I would like to know if ANYONE likes it.
voidoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:09 AM   #8
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidoid View Post
I don't find it useful at all to know how many pages left until the end of the chapter. It seems to me to be a crazy design idea and I would like to know if ANYONE likes it.
I like to know how many pages to the end of the chapter, number of pages to end of the book I couldn't care less about

I usually have a couple of books on the go at a time, during the day I have the occasional half hour spare to read (i like to finish chapters when reading, not stop half way through a chapter)

So I read a chapter from the book I know I can finish within the time I have free

On an evening I don't really care about either, but I will finish the current chapter before putting the book down
Old 10-03-2012, 07:27 AM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
I like to know how many pages to the end of the chapter, ...
Make that anyone +2.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #10
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Make that anyone +2.
And another... +3
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #11
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Quote:
My sister loves it. She commutes to work via bus and subway and she doesn't like to stop reading mid-chapter. Because she can see how long a chapter is, she can decide whether she'll have time to finish it before reaching her destination.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #12
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
So when you buy a book from Kobo, can you legally get both formats? epub to archive and kepub to read on your reader, for example?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #13
paulsalter
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
So when you buy a book from Kobo, can you legally get both formats? epub to archive and kepub to read on your reader, for example?

eP
I assume it's perfectly legal

They offer you both formats

I get the ePub for backup and use the kepub on my reader
Old 10-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #14
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post

eP
That's the way I've done it since becoming a customer. There is nothing illegal about it. If it was, once you downloaded the Adobe ePUB or synced your reader and got the Kobo ePUB, the other option would be unavailable in my view.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #15
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Kobo has made book portability part of their philosophy. If you buy a book from them they want you to be able to use it on all your devices. So if you own both a Kobo and, say, a Sony... you can.

It's an awesome philosophy, imho. And now that more publishers are experimenting with no DRM...
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote