Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-13-2010, 11:37 AM   #1
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Does anyone know if Sony will replace readers with sun fade issues?

Both my PRS-300 and PRS-600 fade quite a bit in direct sunlight. Just wondering if it's worth pursuing replacement units from Sony.
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67029

This is the largest thread on this issue, and a good resource if you're experiencing it.

I'd call sony. This is a factory defect, and is covered by the warranty (if you still are under warranty!)
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2010, 02:06 PM   #3
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Awesome, thank you. I'm past 90 days on the 300. Not too interested in paying $29 to get a refurbed one. I'll probably just live with it.

I might try on the 600 though, if I decide to keep it...

Thanks!
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:00 PM   #4
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I still think Sony's mistake was claiming it is usable in direct sunlight. I have never seen any LCD device that does well treated like that. If you want a chuckle ask Steve if he guarantees the Ipad display is usable in direct sunlight.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm200 View Post
I still think Sony's mistake was claiming it is usable in direct sunlight. I have never seen any LCD device that does well treated like that. If you want a chuckle ask Steve if he guarantees the Ipad display is usable in direct sunlight.

Robert
The sonys (and indeed, most e-readers) employ e-ink screens, which are NOT LCDs.

Indeed, Sonys without defects function perfectly in sunlight. There's no glare, and the screen is as crisp as always.
Advert
Old 06-13-2010, 07:33 PM   #6
crc
unknown
crc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Indeed, Sonys without defects function perfectly in sunlight. There's no glare, and the screen is as crisp as always.
True. I have two PRS-505's and read both of them outside frequently. If anything the screens look better to me outdoors than indoors.
crc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:27 PM   #7
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Actually, transflective LCDs work fine in full, direct sunlight. Rather a shame Apple doesn't offer such a display as an option (an Axiotron ModBook is as close as it gets)

Last edited by WillAdams; 06-13-2010 at 08:30 PM. Reason: added ModBook
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:04 PM   #8
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crc View Post
True. I have two PRS-505's and read both of them outside frequently. If anything the screens look better to me outdoors than indoors.
It seems to me that it does, too. Very pleasant.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:59 PM   #9
Chazzum
Chazzum began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600SC & PRS-600BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorino View Post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67029

This is the largest thread on this issue, and a good resource if you're experiencing it.

I'd call sony. This is a factory defect, and is covered by the warranty (if you still are under warranty!)
Does anyone know if Sony replaces with refurbs or new? Any time limits to getting a new or refurb (ie, owned less than 90 days get new --over 90 days refurb)???

Thanks,
Chazzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:59 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazzum View Post
Does anyone know if Sony replaces with refurbs or new? Any time limits to getting a new or refurb (ie, owned less than 90 days get new --over 90 days refurb)???

Thanks,
I know if it is 30 days or less you can swap for a new unit at SonyStyle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:24 PM   #11
Chazzum
Chazzum began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600SC & PRS-600BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I know if it is 30 days or less you can swap for a new unit at SonyStyle.
Wow, really? Even if not purchased there?
Chazzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:56 PM   #12
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
My PRS505 has the sunfade issue and it's out of warranty and they said it would cost around $90 to replace it! Since this is a factory defect they SHOULD replace it no matter how long but of course they won't.

A very unhappy owner!
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:18 PM   #13
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jeepin View Post
My PRS505 has the sunfade issue and it's out of warranty and they said it would cost around $90 to replace it! Since this is a factory defect they SHOULD replace it no matter how long but of course they won't.

A very unhappy owner!
Unfortunately, it's your fault for waiting past the warrant period, not Sony's. The warranty is pretty clear.

Unless it's a lifetime warranty, none will cover factory defects past a certain point. It's your responsibility to report it in time.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:35 AM   #14
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It didn't have the sun fade issue until after the warranty expired.

I'll just add Sony to the list of never buy a product again category.
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:45 PM   #15
crc
unknown
crc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jeepin View Post
It didn't have the sun fade issue until after the warranty expired..
Out of curiosity, how long after the warranty expired did you start having issues with the fading?
crc is offline   Reply With Quote