Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-01-2010, 12:08 PM   #256
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
I would have to agree. "The general consensus is that Baen, charging $4-6 per book for non-DRM'd ebooks in several formats, is doing it right." I would be in heaven.
I'd pay 3x that for a well formatted, well edited, non-DRM'ed book.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:29 PM   #257
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
but ebooks is digital and probably cost less to distribute and obviously less to mass produce.
Probably cost less? Comparatively speaking, they cost nothing to produce. Anyone with half a brain and about two days' training could take the publish-ready edited text of a novel and spend a few hours with InDesign and get an ePub that's better quality than a lot of the crap that's out there in the ebook market these days.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2010, 12:51 PM   #258
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
I would have to agree. "The general consensus is that Baen, charging $4-6 per book for non-DRM'd ebooks in several formats, is doing it right." I would be in heaven.
It's worth pointing out here that Tor (which is a barnacle on Macmillan-US, which in turn is a tentacle of the great publishing kraken Holtzbrinck) had an arrangement in place with Baen's Webscriptions arm to sell Tor's books, multi-format and DRM-free (although at a slightly higher price point) in April of 2006. The deal was killed on the orders of upper-level management within days of going live, and four years later many of the books Tor publishes aren't legally or commercially available in electronic form.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:53 PM   #259
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Since I haven't even bought an ebook for 9.99 yet I'm guessing my feet were already voting...
I have. Baen eARC's. Yes, I am paying 14.99 for unproofed, non-DRM'ed books!

(...6 months before the print edition)
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:18 PM   #260
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
I'd pay 3x that for a well formatted, well edited, non-DRM'ed book.
The reason I'm upset with todays prices for ebooks is because it feels like I'm being charged a lot for a sub standard product. Now there is a push from the publishers about charging even more.

I guess the bottom line for me is that I feel that ebooks are not worth what they are being priced at today. If they charge more or even at the current prices, I expect more.

I know the term "more" is vague but it's all the stuff that's been heavily discussed in this forum such as better formatting, no DRM, better editing/proofing, etc.

I see mass paperbacks as having more values than the current ebooks yet a large number of the ebooks I see are priced higer than them or nearly just as much.

Also, I don't see why publishers should charge so much since you can't sell an ebook to a used bookstore (potential of not loosing sales to used books). E-stores can stock up on back titles because they don't take up any shelf space. It saves the publishers on production/distribution costs compared to paper books.

Just seems like the publishers are just very narrow minded. Seems like they can actually make a lot of money if they put some thought into making ebooks a viable business instead of insisting that ebooks will eat up hardcover sales and that's a no no. So it seems like they are dong everything possible to disuade people from purchasing ebooks instead of focusing on making the ebook business work.

Last edited by MerLock; 02-01-2010 at 02:24 PM.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2010, 02:23 PM   #261
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
I see mass paperbacks as having more values than the current ebooks yet a large number of the ebooks I see are priced higer than them or nearly just as much.
I totally see your reasoning on the issue...it really is a personal decision about what "value" is. My idea of value is having my entire library with me on a trip, without taking 5 suitcases full of books
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:26 PM   #262
mcl
Connoisseur
mcl will become famous soon enoughmcl will become famous soon enoughmcl will become famous soon enoughmcl will become famous soon enoughmcl will become famous soon enoughmcl will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle K2i
Quote:
I totally see your reasoning on the issue...it really is a personal decision about what "value" is. My idea of value is having my entire library with me on a trip, without taking 5 suitcases full of books
I'd love to take my entire library with me on a trip, but I can't afford to hire someone to scan in all these out of print or otherwise unavailable books!
mcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:30 PM   #263
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

I totally agree with that. Value and worth to me is a subjective thing. Like you, I can see why someone would be willing to pay higher prices for ebooks.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote