Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-10-2010, 10:42 PM   #46
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I'm not entirely certain of my opinion, but here it is. The Daily Edition cost over $100 than the Touch edition, and all you get is about an extra inch of screen length and the ability to buy from the Sony store on the device. It's not worth it.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:15 AM   #47
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
all you get is about an extra inch of screen length and the ability to buy from the Sony store on the device.
Two other features, which Sony could certainly push to the PRS-600 with a firmware upgrade, are a more recent mobile Adobe Digital Editions (e.g. full justification available for ePubs) and autocrop for PDF margins.

I take it that you did not find that reading letter/A4 PDFs in landscape mode without reflow worked better on a 7" than a 6" screen?
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2010, 12:43 AM   #48
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Two other features, which Sony could certainly push to the PRS-600 with a firmware upgrade, are a more recent mobile Adobe Digital Editions (e.g. full justification available for ePubs) and autocrop for PDF margins.

I take it that you did not find that reading letter/A4 PDFs in landscape mode without reflow worked better on a 7" than a 6" screen?
Actually, the PDF abilities appear to be the same. Also, the Daily Edition justification obeys the css in the Epub. It doesn't automatically full justify.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:14 AM   #49
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
In my humble opinion

Almost all the ebook readers function under some sort of embedded linux operating system. I think the first company that opens up their operating system so that programmers can build applications will be a big winner.

I will be first in line to buy my next reader that is an open platform. The article that was posted here about a new ebook reader that runs Android interests me immensely.

With an open system, I could care less about the stability of the company that provides it as long as my warranty period is covered.

Look at the millions of programmers that are writing software for linux. Quite a bit of that software is better than you can buy. If the operating system is open source it then only makes a difference on how good, fast, and reliable that hardware is.

Ebooks are now at their start. The users are willing to put up with companies that have locked in proprietary formats. At his day and age would you buy a computer that you could only run software sold by the company that makes the computer and no one else ?

I could then write a better reader program that allowed you to bookmark, index, have dictionary functions, make notations and anything else I wanted to add to it. I could sell this software for the same price as any ebook and you as a customer would have a choice.

As long as the suppliers have in their business model built around locked in customers to locked in formats on locked up devices, it will not change.

Just my two cents and I will give you one and a half back.
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:10 AM   #50
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8npwrfl View Post
Almost all the ebook readers function under some sort of embedded linux operating system. I think the first company that opens up their operating system so that programmers can build applications will be a big winner.
I thought iLiad is open and programmers build applications for it for years now?
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2010, 06:23 AM   #51
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
I'm not entirely certain of my opinion, but here it is. The Daily Edition cost over $100 than the Touch edition, and all you get is about an extra inch of screen length and the ability to buy from the Sony store on the device. It's not worth it.
Well, it does come with a charger, soft-cover and travel case which I imagine would retail for about $100, so if someone had been planning to buy those for their 600 it's a good deal.

Also, there's the 16 greyscale and margin crop to take into account.

I am sorely tempted by the prs 900!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:24 AM   #52
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Well, it does come with a charger, soft-cover and travel case which I imagine would retail for about $100, so if someone had been planning to buy those for their 600 it's a good deal.

What margin crop? I didn't see it.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:30 AM   #53
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkScheuern View Post
And another article on that topic: What Defines an E-Reader? I tend to agree that an E-Ink or similarly readable display is a necessity.
I'd agree. Without readable display you can't read at all. I got a wooden board, called it an ereader, but nobody would believe me!

But I don't agree that an ereader should have an e-ink or similar display. It should be able to show you books, you should be able to easily "flip pages" (at least hardware buttons, "screen swipes" should be extra) and it should have a decently long battery life.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
I am mostly glad that I made my decision to get the Sony 900 a week and a half ago - well before all the CES annoucements - otherwise I'd be back to the drawing board with all the research to pick one again.
I'd cancel the order if I were you.
Nate, you made him go back to his drawing board again, while he was so happy he didn't have to anymore!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:30 AM   #54
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
In a PDF page, pop up the resize option menu. Above the size selections (XS, S, &c.), there are 2 small icons on the right side that control "margin crop".
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:31 AM   #55
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
I haven't seen the reader yet, either, but I've read that it has some sort of margin crop option, which I would love to check out. The article I've linked mentions it:

http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/sony-prs-900.html
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:44 AM   #56
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

Plus the wireless. (not that I care myself about that).
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:45 AM   #57
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Actually, the PDF abilities appear to be the same. Also, the Daily Edition justification obeys the css in the Epub. It doesn't automatically full justify.

Thank God!

Last edited by kennyc; 01-11-2010 at 06:47 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:45 AM   #58
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8npwrfl View Post
With Jinke you can download the source code from their website as well as the SDK.

I think this apparent 'glut' in the ereader market is media analysts are wanting to see a multi function device - ereader, web surfing, videos etc, yet the general ereader consumers want solid and reliable ereaders.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:46 AM   #59
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Weird... I had to enter the full justification in my CSS for my Mini to not left justify...

Solicitous, don't you have to register with them first?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:47 AM   #60
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post

Oh yeah I forgot about the cover and charger. I was very tempted by it when Best Buy had it on sale for $40 off. Almost pulled the trigger but instead went into a cool dark room until the feeling passed.