Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-12-2012, 07:41 AM   #35131
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I've tuned my guitar to the dropped Dorien mode of the key of D. Makes it sound like a sitar. I'm sitting here playing improvisational ragas in memory of one of the finest musicians to grace our generation... Ravi Shankar passed away, at age 92. His classical Indian music influenced so much of our super groups; the Beatles, the Stones, Jefferson Airplane, etc.

(For you guitar players:
Drop your low E to D
Leave the A and the D strings as they are
Drop the G down to match the 4th string D
Drop the B down to A
Drop the E down to D.
This gives you, from high to low, DADDAD
Play your melody lines on the high D and A. The rest of the guitar will resonate sympathetically sounding like a sitar.)

Ravi, R.I.P.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:07 AM   #35132
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^It is indeed a sad day.

Alas my guitar playing days are a few years off yet. I need the little one to learn patience and that not everything was meant to fly or be beaten with anything one finds.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #35133
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I've tuned my guitar to the dropped Dorien mode of the key of D. Makes it sound like a sitar. I'm sitting here playing improvisational ragas in memory of one of the finest musicians to grace our generation... Ravi Shankar passed away, at age 92. His classical Indian music influenced so much of our super groups; the Beatles, the Stones, Jefferson Airplane, etc.

(For you guitar players:
Drop your low E to D
Leave the A and the D strings as they are
Drop the G down to match the 4th string D
Drop the B down to A
Drop the E down to D.
This gives you, from high to low, DADDAD
Play your melody lines on the high D and A. The rest of the guitar will resonate sympathetically sounding like a sitar.)

Ravi, R.I.P.

Stitchawl
Very sad news about Ravi Shankar. He was amazing, and opened a lot of minds to exploring musical possibilities that existed outside of the Western world's traditional 12-tone scales. Fortunately, his daughter is still with us, and has also produced some fine music, including some synthesizer/sitar duets that are really fantastic.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #35134
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've tuned my guitar to the dropped Dorien mode of the key of D. Makes it sound like a sitar. I'm sitting here playing improvisational ragas in memory of one of the finest musicians to grace our generation... Ravi Shankar passed away, at age 92....
It won't be the same thing, but I think tonight I'll put my Clavinova in modal tuning to reproduce some of those wonderful sounds that can't be captured in equal-tempered scales.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 12-12-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #35135
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Making a shopping list for tomorrow.

My sister and I are going to Amsterdam, first to the Tutankhamun exhibit and we're going to the inner city. I then want to go to a big art store where they have sketching paper on offer, and to a tea shop where they sell cinnamon flavoured hot chocolate milk mix (I'm a cinnamon addict ). We both hope to find a new handbag and my sister also wants to go to a certain shop but she didn't remember which.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:55 PM   #35136
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
It won't be the same thing, but I think tonight I'll put my Clavinova in modal tuning to reproduce some of those wonderful sounds that can't be captured in equal-tempered scales.
How do you change the tuning on a Clavinova?
And, is there a way to cause octave notes to sound out sympathetically?

Stitchawl
Old 12-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #35137
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
How do you change the tuning on a Clavinova?
And, is there a way to cause octave notes to sound out sympathetically?

Stitchawl
With a few push buttons you can change the tuning and experience what music sounded like in the days before J.S. Bach and the well-tempered claviers.

As for making octave notes sound out sympathetically, I believe you need an acoustic for that. I've never heard of an electric that mimics that aspect of pianos, although it might be worth trying on a Rhodes since that uses tone bars rather than pure electronics to make the sound. You might get a little bit of induced ring; I don't know because I've never tried it. Fortunately I have a studio piano in the living room should I ever get a hankering to hear notes play by themselves.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #35138
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
With a few push buttons you can change the tuning and experience what music sounded like in the days before J.S. Bach and the well-tempered claviers.
What a world we live in today...

Quote:
As for making octave notes sound out sympathetically, I believe you need an acoustic for that.
That makes sense. When I tune to the tuning above, I can make the one guitar sound like three are playing together in octaves. Sounds impressive, but in fact, pretty easy, especially if I play the melody line just on one string like a dulcimer...

Stitchawl
Old 12-17-2012, 05:36 PM   #35139
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The mouse I use with my notebook has been dying a slow death for a while now. Earlier in the year the scroll wheel left click (which I set as "back" button when using the browser) stopped working. I set right click with the scroll wheel as "back" button and that worked until this evening when it stopped working too.

Logitech has an inexpensive wired laser mouse that is good enough for me and it even comes in different colours. However, the local store only has the black with green stripe in stock, but I like the cinnamon red better. The big quesstion now is should I go pick up the black/green one tomorrow before or after our store opens or order the cinnamon red one online, pay a couple of euros more and wait a day longer.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:39 PM   #35140
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Thanks for reminding me. My mouse eats batteries. Off to buy some a pack of those hi-tech batteries that last 6 times longer than conventional coppertops.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #35141
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
The mouse I use with my notebook has been dying a slow death for a while now. Earlier in the year the scroll wheel left click (which I set as "back" button when using the browser) stopped working. I set right click with the scroll wheel as "back" button and that worked until this evening when it stopped working too.

Logitech has an inexpensive wired laser mouse that is good enough for me and it even comes in different colours. However, the local store only has the black with green stripe in stock, but I like the cinnamon red better. The big quesstion now is should I go pick up the black/green one tomorrow before or after our store opens or order the cinnamon red one online, pay a couple of euros more and wait a day longer.
I find it best to wait and get the color I really like. Otherwise I'll discover that I've bought the 2nd best, and STILL want to get the best one too. Then I've paid for two of them!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:27 AM   #35142
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks for reminding me. My mouse eats batteries. Off to buy some a pack of those hi-tech batteries that last 6 times longer than conventional coppertops.
The batteries in my desktop computer mouse last really long, I think officially 3 years (mine still got 191 days left). For my notebook, however, I usually have a corded mouse because I don't think it's worth the expense to buy a cordless one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I find it best to wait and get the color I really like. Otherwise I'll discover that I've bought the 2nd best, and STILL want to get the best one too. Then I've paid for two of them!
I just ordered the cinnamon red one. It being The Week Before Christmas chances are I'll collapse on my bed tonight without watching tv or switching on my notebook.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:36 AM   #35143
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

I just made an appointment to get my new contact lenses checked out. I started wearing Silicone Hydrogel contacts on Friday. I have no problems with my left eye except for a bit of redness due to getting used to the silicone. My right eye, however, can't focus. I called customer service Friday morning and was told that my eye had to get used to the different type of contacts and that it could take a few days.

On Friday it was annoying but being outside most of the day bearable. On Saturday I took them out after two hours because in our store with all the colours and having to shift focus often it drove me crazy. On Sunday, as an experiment, I tried my left contact in my right eye (same strength, different ophthalmic astigmatism strength) and my right eye saw focussed. If I put my right contact in my left eye I can't focus again. My conclusion is that there's a problem with my contact and not with my eye but before I try a new contact I want to have it checked out by the specialist.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:08 AM   #35144
Turnstone
Zealot
Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I am converting my music CDs to wav and mp3 files. So constantly changing CDs and checking metadata, waiting 2 minutes, next CD... boring! When I am done with converting a batch to wav I can convert them all at once to mp3. The only chance to leave the computer without losing time! Right now reading mobileread makes it not so boring for me.
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:21 AM   #35145
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Be careful, Tom... When I discovered disposable lithium AA batteries I thought I had it made in the shade. My flash unit for my camera can take five batteries at once, with instant full refresh because of that 5th battery. Great for multi-flash action shots. So I used it to photograph a Thai Muay Thai boxing match... and burned out the flash! The batteries overheated so badly that they cooked the strobe's circuits, and Nikon wouldn't stand behind its warantee because they didn't specify that I 'could' use lithium batteries. Note; they didn't specify that I couldn't either, but that didn't seem to make any difference. I had to buy another...

Stitchawl

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?