Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-29-2010, 08:09 PM   #1
debra jo
debra jo began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Smile Novice Wants My New Nook Color Rooted..But Unsure of How to Do Myself

I just received my Nook Color for Christmas and am not real impressed with it. While searching reviews and comments on it I discovered info on rooting. Please bare with me...I am not a computer techie and do not totally understand how to "root". But....I would love to have the Android Market available among other features that the NC does not have now.

Can a novice root a NC? If not, where can I go to find someone who will root it? I imagine it wont be easy to find someone to do this since it voids the warranty (unless I hold them harmless to the device after rooting).

Really would like to do this but feel its too complex for little old me.

Any advice??

Thank You!
debra jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:18 PM   #2
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Using autonooter made it simple. ADB afterwards has not worked for me but NookDevs lists it as totally optional so no wories.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2010, 09:30 PM   #3
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
I did it......,was abit worried going into it, since I'd never done anything remotely similar......but with help of this forum (mostly Scion ) I got thru it on the first try................

Well worth it too.......I've had a great time customizing it

Last edited by The Joker; 12-29-2010 at 09:32 PM.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:59 AM   #4
Mastiff
Viking proof reader
Mastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Onyx Boox Max 3
AutoNooter is easy. Of course there will be some stuff that doesn't work as it should out of the box (I have a problem with Android Market), but basic functions work well and you get a lot of extra fun stuff with rooting.
Mastiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiff View Post
AutoNooter is easy. Of course there will be some stuff that doesn't work as it should out of the box (I have a problem with Android Market), but basic functions work well and you get a lot of extra fun stuff with rooting.
The mark of a successful autonooter root is all things Google working. If Android Market doesn't work you should re-root or enable Market manually which will get everything else Google related working.

Last edited by SCION; 12-30-2010 at 10:28 AM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 11:18 AM   #6
Mastiff
Viking proof reader
Mastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Onyx Boox Max 3
Yeah, done that twice. Still not working. Maybe it's an idiot thing I don't know about, but I keep getting "Server Unavailable. Please try again later". I never even get to the point where I can accept terms and conditions. I think the market should be avilable in Norway. I have seen that a few others have had that problem on the XDA board, but I haven't seen anybody note it up as "solved".
Mastiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:58 PM   #7
debra jo

Unhappy Novice Wants New NC Rooted - Scion Question...

Ok, I've read and re-read the instructions on nookdevs and this site to root using the autonooter 2.12.25 file. i've downloaded the win32diskimager and the gabrialdestruir's autonooter 2.12.25 file. i've spent two hours trying to format my microsd card with no luck. first had a pny, tried doing it in sd card slot on computer, and with usb sd adaptor on two different computers. no luck formatting so i returned to staples. this time i have a sandisk microsd card and it still will not format. this is where i'm stuck. i'm ready to write the microsd card image but can't do it until the card formats.
what is the problem? i am so frustrated...
Old 01-01-2011, 04:59 PM   #8
debra jo

Ok, I've read and re-read the instructions on nookdevs and this site to root using the autonooter 2.12.25 file. i've downloaded the win32diskimager and the gabrialdestruir's autonooter 2.12.25 file. i've spent two hours trying to format my microsd card with no luck. first had a pny, tried doing it in sd card slot on computer, and with usb sd adaptor on two different computers. no luck formatting so i returned to staples. this time i have a sandisk microsd card and it still will not format. this is where i'm stuck. i'm ready to write the microsd card image but can't do it until the card formats.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:06 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by debra jo View Post
Someone mentioned you have to run win32diskimager as Administrator. Does this apply to what you're trying to do. I rooted using a Mac instead of a Windows machine. As far a formatting the card, some have recommended some shareware applications that do this. So is that the issue, you need to format the card but you don't see this functionality within the GUI of the operating system itself?

Last edited by SCION; 01-01-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:07 PM   #10
debra jo

i dont think so. the problem seems to be that the microsd card wont format and i cant save the file to it unless it is formatted first.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:10 PM   #11
SCION
Séduisant

I know this sounds trivial. Is the card write-protected?
Old 01-01-2011, 05:20 PM   #12
debra jo

nothing sounds trivial to me....as i am not a techie.
how can i tell? i would say no to your question though, as it seems to be formatting the disk because it says "complete" but when i go to write to it, it then gives me a message that that the disk needs to be formatted..and round and round i go
Old 01-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #13
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
I didn't have any issues with formatting, but maybe format the card in the nook itself???
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:25 PM   #14
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Why do you need to format the card first? The autonooter image isn't a file that is written to the card, it is a complete bit-by-bit image of the filesystem itself.

What happens exactly when you plug the micro SD card into your PC, then launch WinImage, select the Disk pulldown menu, and select 'Resore Virtual Hard Disk Image on physical drive'? Is the SD card listed as a drive you can choose?

Is your PC is not recognizing the SD card (two of them) and asking you to format it? If so, you can try ignoring this as long as the SD card is being recognized by WinImage. Or if WinImage can't see the card, you can put it into your Nook and have your Nook format it (From the center home button: Settings, Device Info, SD Card, Unmount SD card, Format SD card).

Last edited by zartemis; 01-01-2011 at 05:28 PM.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:35 PM   #15
debra jo

zartemis:
i thought i had to format the disk first.
in any event, i tried again to format and it said format is complete. the card is in I launched WinImage, selected the Disk pulldown menu, and selected 'Resore Virtual Hard Disk Image on physical drive'. The SD card is in fact listed.
now what to i do?
thank you all!