Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-25-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
CoolDragon
Addict
CoolDragon doesn't litterCoolDragon doesn't litter

Device: none
Why not asking IREX customer support?

Quite a few questions asked here, such as PDF zooom, shouldn't the IREX customer support give a better answer than all the speculation here?
CoolDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDragon View Post
Quite a few questions asked here, such as PDF zooom, shouldn't the IREX customer support give a better answer than all the speculation here?
Why not both?

iRex have responded to things on here, so they do read the forum (at least some). It's certainly not a bad idea to send your concerns or questions directly to them as well though.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
CoolDragon
Addict

Sure it's a good idea to post questions/concerns in both area. I am wondering if someone has got any answer from their customer support.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:36 PM   #4
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sure it's a good idea to post questions/concerns in both area. I am wondering if someone has got any answer from their customer support.
The official stance, I believe, is that:

annotation - Being added but no date has been given yet (information is a little mixed on this, but that seems to be the most common answer from them).

zoom - They are still deciding on whether or not to add zoom.

dictionary - I have not heard any comments from them regarding dictionary support, but I don't know if anybody has really asked them directly yet.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:45 PM   #5
catharsis
Addict
catharsis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG, Onyx Boox M92
there was one iRex developer posting here, but he surprisingly disappeared after more and more people asked about the zoom and annotation.
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:13 PM   #6
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie
MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
I've just received a laundry list of April updates from IREX management. Once I get the green light from them, I'll post them. They are certainly very good improvements, and better yet if they happen on schedule!
MobileTechReview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:24 PM   #7
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Can't wait to find out what they are!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:20 AM   #8
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Let us hope for some good news. The DR800S or SG with annotation, zoom, and (dare I dream) WiFi with a real browser for newspaper downloads and book purchases would be as close to perfect a device as we will get in the next 2-3 years before really good color reading screens appear. All the others would have no chance at anything more than 1/2 price. It is sad seeing Irex shooting themselves in the foot like this.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:07 AM   #9
Jumpn Jack Flash
Lazy Git
Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.

Device: iRex DR800S
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileTechReview View Post
I've just received a laundry list of April updates from IREX management. Once I get the green light from them, I'll post them. They are certainly very good improvements, and better yet if they happen on schedule!
Now you are just teasing us, you rotter
Jumpn Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:53 AM   #10
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
Here is my laundry list (from most wanted to least):
  • Trim margin feature in PDF
  • View images in archives (unless someone makes a cbz reader)
  • Manual and Auto Zoom options in PDF
  • Word lookup Dictionary
  • Rotate to 180 degrees feature
  • Ability to use user-supplied fonts (good for non-latin documents)
  • Goto to page function
  • Full screen mode
  • Annotations: both handwritten and typed notes

And of course, bug fixes and the latest versions of third-party software like Adobe's PDF engine.

Perhaps we should make a bingo card with what features we want and see if we win...
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:02 AM   #11
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by catharsis View Post
there was one iRex developer posting here, but he surprisingly disappeared after more and more people asked about the zoom and annotation.
There were several actually. That's fairly normal for them, they tend to pop in and out of the forum. I wouldn't read more into it. Their developers are usually pretty honest and open about sharing information. I don't think they left just because of all the zoom/annotation questions. Hopefully it just means they're busy working on them.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:19 AM   #12
CoolDragon
Addict

Mmm, I don't understand why they would hold the firmware update list. Since the unit is back ordered on BestBuy anyway, releasing the list now should make a lot of people willing to wait for the updated firmware, whether or not they purchase or not. All I can say is that IREX is a technology strong but poorly managed company.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:25 AM   #13
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Mmm, I don't understand why they would hold the firmware update list. Since the unit is back ordered on BestBuy anyway, releasing the list now should make a lot of people willing to wait for the updated firmware, whether or not they purchase or not. All I can say is that IREX is a technology strong but poorly managed company.
Most companies don't release their upcoming features list. Does anyone have any idea what's going to be in the next Kindle or Sony firmware, does that make them poorly managed too?

As for what iRex is waiting for, it could be that they're still finalizing what's going to be in it.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:32 AM   #14
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Given their history of late or unfulfilled promises, it may be best if they only release details when the firmware is actually available or at least in late beta. Time to fix the company image!
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:41 AM   #15
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
Quote:
I hope the irex management will relent...
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote