Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 10-31-2009, 10:04 AM   #1
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Private Messages

I was trying to send a PM to another member. I am pretty sure I hit the submit button but it is not in my sent folder. I have only sent one other PM but it was in response to one received. I am not an experienced formum user. I tried searching for some kind of PM help but found nothing. Am I limited on PM usage? Like I have to post so many times before I can originate a PM? Should I just try again? I don't want the receiver to feel like I am pestering them. Can I attach something in a PM?

Sorry if this in the wrong forum. I could not find a forum for general questions on forum usage?!
goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:15 AM   #2
kenmark
Addict
kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
A member can disable private messaging or accept messages only from friends and contacts via their User CP. I believe the system gives you an error message when you try to send a private message to a member who is not set up to receive them.

Anyone know of any other reasons why private messages aren't sent?

*edit* The message must have a title also.

Last edited by kenmark; 10-31-2009 at 10:17 AM.
kenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:21 AM   #3
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I didn't see an error message. But then again maybe it flashed by so quickly I missed it! I probably did something wrong. I did have a title though!
Old 10-31-2009, 10:23 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
There is an option in the User CP to enable or disable the saving of your sent PMs. Are you sure you have the clicked on?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:23 AM   #5
goldilocks
Addict

Is there a limit on the amount of words? I had over 500 words.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:24 AM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilocks View Post
Is there a limit on the amount of words? I had over 500 words.
Not that I am aware of. If you exceed a limit the forum would tell you rather than make you think it sent the message.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:27 AM   #7
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Check your PM options --

... to make sure you've requested that a copy be saved in your Sent Items folder.

If you didn't get an error message when you sent your PM, I'd assume that it got sent. 500 characters isn't a very long PM. I've sent some that were quite long and had no problems with them.

If you'd like someone to experiment with, I'm game. Feel free to send me a couple of PMs; nonsense text is just fine since all you're concerned about is whether the PMs are delivered and maybe how long they can be.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:31 AM   #8
kenmark
Addict
kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilocks View Post
I didn't see an error message. But then again maybe it flashed by so quickly I missed it! I probably did something wrong. I did have a title though!
Just try sending another one, making sure you have the right receiver name and title, and add a little comment that it may be a duplicate.

or...

View the 'public profile' of the user in question and use the "contact info" drop-down menu. If the "send a private message" is there, you should be able to send a private message. (Or, go to any post made by this user, use the drop-down menu by clicking on their member name, if "Send a private message" is there (private messages are enabled in some fashion) select that option and send your message. If that option is not there, they aren't accepting any private messages.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:32 AM   #9
goldilocks
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
There is an option in the User CP to enable or disable the saving of your sent PMs. Are you sure you have the clicked on?

BOb
Thanks Bob. I believe this was it. The box was not checked which means it was not saving sent PMs.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:34 AM   #10
goldilocks
Addict

Thanks for your help too kenmark and Elsi!
Old 10-31-2009, 10:35 AM   #11
kenmark
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Check your PM options --
Good suggestion. I never even knew that option existed! I'm not sure what the initial default was for it but I don't think that I've ever changed it myself.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:19 AM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
As to your second question, attachments are not supported in a PM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:33 AM   #13
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
Oh, there is. It has annoyed me that sent messages is not saved. I really think this option should be enabled as default. I just assumed that if there was an option the default was saving sent messages so I did not check for any options.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:41 AM   #14
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Check your PM options --
I looked for this option now for 5 minutes and cannot find it. What is the steps getting to this option?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:49 AM   #15
goldilocks
Addict

I went to "Quick Links" "Edit Options". On the page the opens go to the Messaging Notifications secton then down to Private Messaging. This is the last option:

When sending private messages the forum can make a copy of the message in your Sent Items folder.
Save a copy of sent messages in my Sent Items folder by default.

Check the box.