Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-26-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
New Nexus 7, Nook HD or iPad mini

I know I posted before but this time I think I'm ready to take the plunge and buy a tablet. The specs of the new Nexus 7 have really wowed me. The screen resolution, the processor, the front and back cams along with the price make it very attractive. I know the new Nexus costs a little more than the previous model but for what you get it seems worth it. I still don't like that the storage space is capped at 32GB but I'm sure I could make it work.

The Nook HD and the HD+ seem like great tablets for the price. The lack of front and back cams seems like a bit of a detraction but I doubt I'll take pictures with my tablet and I can always use my laptop or phone for video chats. They're both very lightweight and they have good screen resolution. $149 for the HD+ seems like a steal. Plus, the microSD slot and the access to the Play store are pluses for me.

The iPad mini seems dated and for the cost, I'm not really sure I can justify spending the extra money for it. Still, I love the form factor of the mini. At this point, it's not looking likely that I will purchase it. However, I wonder if I should wait for Apple to announce the new gen of iPads before making my final decision. I've read that the new iPad mini is not likely to have a Retina display but may have a better processor.

I don't think I'll use the tablet for reading books (although this could change?) but I do see myself using it to read magazines. I'll also use it for web browsing, watching Netflix, Hulu and YouTube videos and other miscellaneous tasks.

Could users with one or more of these post their thoughts and maybe highlight some strengths and weaknesses I missed?

Last edited by faithbw; 08-26-2013 at 07:14 PM. Reason: typos
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
I have the Nook HD and HD+, plus also the new Nexus 7, though it's a gift for somebody else and I'm just setting it up and playing with it for now.

I would only consider the HD/HD+ if you want a tablet for reading only, as the low price make those rather compelling. But if you intent to use it as a more general purpose tablet, then I would certainly recommend the N7.2, it has better specs all around, especially the screen, processor and cameras, comes with a more up to date OS and is guaranteed to get timely updates. The Nook HD/HD+ will most likely see no further updates from BN, at best some critical bug fixes, but I would not expect them to get official JB versions (though you can get them via 3rd party ROMs). Don't get me wrong, the HD/HD+ are good tablets, but they are dated now and seem to be on clearance meaning end of life.

As for the mini, my personal opinion is that it is way overpriced, it offers nothing above the N7.2 (less RAM, slower processor, poor screen) while costing an extra $100, so I do not think it is a smart buy. And as this is a reading forum, from the ones you listed it offers the poorest reading experience due to its low pixel density..
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I would wait (am waiting) for a few more choices to become available in the 7-8" tablet space. The next iPad Mini for one, and perhaps an 'HD' successor to the Samsung Note 8. Not to mention the new Fire, except that's one I probably will not go with. But if I were forced to get something now I'd get the Nexus 7.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post

I don't think I'll use the tablet for reading books (although this could change?) but I do see myself using it to read magazines. I'll also use it for web browsing, watching Netflix, Hulu and YouTube videos and other miscellaneous tasks.
The Nook HD+ is fine for all of those things. It's much nicer for web browsing than the smaller tablets. Same with magazines.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I have the Nook HD and HD+, plus also the new Nexus 7, though it's a gift for somebody else and I'm just setting it up and playing with it for now.

I would only consider the HD/HD+ if you want a tablet for reading only, as the low price make those rather compelling. But if you intent to use it as a more general purpose tablet, then I would certainly recommend the N7.2, it has better specs all around, especially the screen, processor and cameras, comes with a more up to date OS and is guaranteed to get timely updates. The Nook HD/HD+ will most likely see no further updates from BN, at best some critical bug fixes, but I would not expect them to get official JB versions (though you can get them via 3rd party ROMs). Don't get me wrong, the HD/HD+ are good tablets, but they are dated now and seem to be on clearance meaning end of life.
Quote:
As for the mini, my personal opinion is that it is way overpriced, it offers nothing above the N7.2 (less RAM, slower processor, poor screen) while costing an extra $100, so I do not think it is a smart buy. And as this is a reading forum, from the ones you listed it offers the poorest reading experience due to its low pixel density..
This is my feeling on the mini too. It pretty (as are more of Apple's products) but honestly, the Nexus seems to have it beat on just about every important spec at this point and it's much cheaper than the mini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I would wait (am waiting) for a few more choices to become available in the 7-8" tablet space. The next iPad Mini for one, and perhaps an 'HD' successor to the Samsung Note 8. Not to mention the new Fire, except that's one I probably will not go with. But if I were forced to get something now I'd get the Nexus 7.
I'm taking a long train ride (15 hrs+) in a couple of weeks so I'm looking for something to take with me. If something better comes along in the next few months, maybe I'll trade in whatever I buy or sell it to get something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
The Nook HD+ is fine for all of those things. It's much nicer for web browsing than the smaller tablets. Same with magazines.
I keep thinking the same thing.

Right now, I'm trying to decide between the HD+ and the N7. They're both good values with great screens. The N7 is definitely snappier (from what I've read) and like afv011 pointed out, will get updates directly from Google but the HD+ could serve my needs well too. Decisions, decisions.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:02 PM   #6
faithbw
Guru

I finally decided to get the Nexus 7. I got to play with one at Office Depot and I liked it. I really like the design of the Nooks but when I considered specs, I decided to go with the Nexus 7. It's charging as I type. Thanks for all your advice!
Old 08-27-2013, 06:31 PM   #7
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Enjoy, feel free to post any questions you may have.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:24 AM   #8
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
I finally decided to get the Nexus 7. I got to play with one at Office Depot and I liked it. I really like the design of the Nooks but when I considered specs, I decided to go with the Nexus 7. It's charging as I type. Thanks for all your advice!
Congrats and enjoy! I love the Nexus 7 myself, it blows my Nook HD+ out of the water, so I think you made a good choice.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote