Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-11-2013, 05:42 AM   #16
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
My Touch was unstable on every 2.x firmware including 2.3.x.
It is the previous generation Touch, no the one released last fall, isn't it? It seems it has been upgraded in some ways. Not quite sure, though.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:06 AM   #17
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
I am hoping Kindle isn't the stand-out in the pack in a way. It's lack of support for Adobe DRM and epubs generally (as I understand it) is a BIG drawback, and why I never bought a Kindle way back when e-ink screens first appeared.
Well, of course it's a lot easier to make a bug free device if you only have to focus on one or two (mobi, pdf) ebook formats... And don't forget the troubles with the lighting on the Paperwhite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
It is the previous generation Touch, no the one released last fall, isn't it? It seems it has been upgraded in some ways. Not quite sure, though.
Yes, they have been upgraded in some way. The new Touches also use the Glo firmware instead of the Touch firmware.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #18
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
My Kindle Keyboard used to reboot itself once a week in the winter. My guess as to the cause was that it was susceptible to static shocks. I bought a Sony T1 as a replacement which rebooted even more frequently. The T1 frustrated me due to its lack of customization over the text display (margins/justification, etc) so I gave it to my father and bought a Nook ST, which never has given me an issue. I bought a Glo for the light and like it, but would not describe it as stable as the Nook. So for rating the stability of the devices I have used based on frequency of spontaneous rebooting, I would order them as such: Nook ST > Kobo Glo > Kindle Keyboard > Sony T1.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #19
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
My Sony 650 never rebooted itself in the 2 years I had it. My next reader, Kobo Touch, rebooted itself regularly, roughly every 2-3 days. I have had my current Paperwhite for 5 weeks now and it hasn't rebooted itself at all. The Sony and Kobo were out of the box while my PW is jailbroken. The Sony appeared more stable, but with no font, line spacing or margin options which made for a less enjoyable reading experience.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #20
frankenhooker
frankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura about

Device: kobo touch
Every device has a percentage of units that are buggy. My Kobo touch has been brilliant, very reliable, the Kindle I had prior was all over the place. My sister has had trouble with her Nook.
frankenhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #21
joiwind
joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenhooker View Post
Every device has a percentage of units that are buggy...
Quite agree - I have a Glo since a little over a month (not long for sure, but...) and I have had NO (zero) problems at all with it, albeit with 2.1.5 firmware. OK the navigation is a bit weird but that will no doubt be fixed.
joiwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:48 PM   #22
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
I have to say that I've had my Touch for a little less than a year and I haven't had any problems with it. It is on 2.1.5 and it's fine - no stalling, freezing, reboots, double page turns or anything like that. My Mini seems fine as well however I haven't used it that much yet. I think sometimes I sound like a Kobo shill when I talk about it to friends and family. I'll add that I'm not a very demanding user - I have some epubs, mostly kepubs and just read recreationally. If I used it for editing and needed annotations, highlighting etc., I wouldn't be as happy.

I'd be pretty unhappy if my Touch didn't work well for me as I prefer its UI to that of the Kindle and Sony.

Last edited by llcj; 01-11-2013 at 02:30 PM.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #23
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
In a word, No.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #24
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
My Sony 650 has never rebooted itself, and I can't remember any bugs in it. Once in a while, some epub that I created myself didn't load right. I don't think it's ever had a firmware update. There are some steps I have to take on the computer in Calibre, before loading the book (to get the fonts to look better, etc), that I would rather do on the reader. So, the firmware is simpler but bug-free.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #25
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I gave up on my Kobo Touch a few months ago, bought the Sony PRST1 and never once regretted it. My T1 has only ever had 2 small glitches where it needed rebooting and that was it. I absolutely love it and would be hard-pressed to consider a Kobo of any kind again. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #26
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I would order them as such: Nook ST > Kobo Glo > Kindle Keyboard > Sony T1.
Thanks, I was wondering how the nook fitted in.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #27
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post
but with no font, line spacing or margin options which made for a less enjoyable reading experience.
That's been mentioned a couple of times now. Is it still the case that Sony lacks these abilities?
Old 01-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #28
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenhooker View Post
Every device has a percentage of units that are buggy. My Kobo touch has been brilliant, very reliable, the Kindle I had prior was all over the place. My sister has had trouble with her Nook.
Sounds odd. I would expect that, if there are bugs in the programming, generally they would be apparent on most of the devices. This sounds like poor hardware design vs firmware version control - something I have a feeling Kobo suffers from.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #29
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
In a word, No.
Nice and succinct
Old 01-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #30
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
My Sony 650 has never rebooted itself, and I can't remember any bugs in it. Once in a while, some epub that I created myself didn't load right.
Did it ever lock up because of the epub - like Kobo does on the % processing screen just after you add new files?