Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-22-2008, 06:43 PM   #1
Laz116
Guru
Laz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS-700
E-ink at last

After lurking around in these forums for the past many months I finally jumped on the E-ink wagon and got myself a Sony PRS-500 instead of my Ipaq HX2750.

And what a difference it is.

Some of my main concerns before the shift was:

1. DRM-files: I buy a lot of DRM'ed Mobipocket files, so I was wary of the transition, untill I found out how to remove the DRM of the files (Cybook wasn't really an option, since it's so darn expensive here in Europe. A used PRS-500 is the third of the price of a new Cybook).

2. Backlight: Although I do read a lot in bed, and the backlight is nice in such circumstances, the quality of the text, larger display and feel of the device more than makes up for my wife's loss of sleep.

3. Early adapter: I was worried about all the quirks that usually tags along new technology. But again I'm in awe of the flexibility it really offers if you just use some of the many tools developed by enthusiasts.

4. Pdf-support: I'm still working on getting the optimal results when converting pdf-files. Not quite there yet.

All in all: Happy days

Laz
Laz116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:55 PM   #2
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Spring for one of those MightyBright book lights. They really are nice (use regular batteries) and might let your wife sleep better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laz116 View Post
After lurking around in these forums for the past many months I finally jumped on the E-ink wagon and got myself a Sony PRS-500 instead of my Ipaq HX2750.

And what a difference it is.

Some of my main concerns before the shift was:

1. DRM-files: I buy a lot of DRM'ed Mobipocket files, so I was wary of the transition, untill I found out how to remove the DRM of the files (Cybook wasn't really an option, since it's so darn expensive here in Europe. A used PRS-500 is the third of the price of a new Cybook).

2. Backlight: Although I do read a lot in bed, and the backlight is nice in such circumstances, the quality of the text, larger display and feel of the device more than makes up for my wife's loss of sleep.

3. Early adapter: I was worried about all the quirks that usually tags along new technology. But again I'm in awe of the flexibility it really offers if you just use some of the many tools developed by enthusiasts.

4. Pdf-support: I'm still working on getting the optimal results when converting pdf-files. Not quite there yet.

All in all: Happy days

Laz
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:01 PM   #3
Laz116
Guru
Laz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Spring for one of those MightyBright book lights. They really are nice (use regular batteries) and might let your wife sleep better.
I'm considering it... a bit worried about the weight, though. I am wondering if an ordinary reading lamp with a light-dimmer (probably not the right word) would work better.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:08 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
happy days, indeed. welcome to the forum, and enjoy your new sony. maybe you could be a really nice guy, and use some of the money you saved by not buying a cybook, to buy your wife a really nice sleeping mask.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:11 PM   #5
Laz116
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
happy days, indeed. welcome to the forum, and enjoy your new sony. maybe you could be a really nice guy, and use some of the money you saved by not buying a cybook, to buy your wife a really nice sleeping mask.
Is this some sort of a feminist conspiracy... are we suddenly back in the sixties or something?
Old 07-22-2008, 07:22 PM   #6
Prash
Zealot
Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3W, LG OG-E970, Utopia Apad
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I am a bit off-topic, however i can't suppress the urge. I have one of these USB lights (similar to the one in picture). Do you think it can be powered via USB connector of the e-ink devices like Sony reader using batteries of the reader?

I currently use them by connecting to one of the USB ports of my computer, so am just curious...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	14595  
Prash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:32 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Is this some sort of a feminist conspiracy... are we suddenly back in the sixties or something?
actually i'm really looking out for you : i get very very cranky when i don't have enough sleep, and if your wife is anything like me, it could be really uncomfortable for you !!
Old 07-22-2008, 07:37 PM   #8
Laz116
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
actually i'm really looking out for you : i get very very cranky when i don't have enough sleep, and if your wife is anything like me, it could be really uncomfortable for you !!
Ah yes... the sleep deprivation crankiness routine. I know the consequences of that.

Lights out it is.

Prash: I don't think it'll work. I don't think the usb-port is able to power anything, only to get power. But I am not sure.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:48 PM   #9
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Ah yes... the sleep deprivation crankiness routine. I know the consequences of that.

Lights out it is.
that's probably for the best.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:49 AM   #10
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash View Post
I am a bit off-topic, however i can't suppress the urge. I have one of these USB lights (similar to the one in picture). Do you think it can be powered via USB connector of the e-ink devices like Sony reader using batteries of the reader?

I currently use them by connecting to one of the USB ports of my computer, so am just curious...
The USB port on the Sony Reader does not receive any power from the battery, so that light would not work, even if it did have the correct size USB plug (it's the mini USB plug.)

The USB port on the Sony is on the bottom, so that even if that light did work, it would be in the way of reading the text.

A regular booklight (I've got one which came with 2 lights and one recharger and works wonderfully and is lightweight so it doesn't significantly change the weight or balance of the Sony Reader) works just fine.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote