Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-25-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
"Tweeting" Stories?

Quote:
News many will be quickly thrilled by: Brooklyn author Jennifer Egan has composed a short story revolving around a character from her 2011 Pulitzer winner A Visit From the Goon Squad. News many may be instantly worried about/fearful of/angered by: This story, an 8,500-word piece, will debut on The New Yorker's NYerFiction Twitter account Thursday evening and be serialized over the span of ten nights, with one tweet posted per minute between the hours of 8 and 9 p.m. Eastern. Each tweet is a new entry in a spy's mission log; the tale is titled "Black Box."
LINK

A story told on Twitter-and by a highly regarded BPH author under the auspices of the high-toned New Yorker magazine, no less!

Wave of the future?

And if it is the WotF , do you like the concept?
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
A stunt, nothing more.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
And if it is the WotF , do you like the concept?
I think I've just figured out what all those "three-martini lunches" accomplish, although this one appears to have been at least six martinis.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Well I really liked VttGS, so I'll check it out.

It's not that stunty. The book after all contains a chapter written by a dyslexic (autistic?) character and presented as a series of infographs.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
A stunt and probably both a good and bad one.

With so many tweets (one per minute?!?!) you're going to be filling all of your followers feeds and washing away tweets by anyone else they're following. Unless someone is specifically following to read the story, I'd expect people might unfollow during the coming days of text.

Although from the pov of publicity, it's probably already a success as it'll get people talking about it.

Last edited by JoeD; 05-25-2012 at 01:51 PM.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #6
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
One more reason to avoid the whole Twitter mindset.
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #7
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoFriend View Post
One more reason to avoid the whole Twitter mindset.
Not that I was ever interested in Twitter to begin with, but I definitively decided, no, never, not even on a bet, when the guy built an office chait that would tweet when he farted.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:45 PM   #8
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
What next.? Can you imagine a movie or novel in which James Bond will tweet his reports to Q?
Or is such a concept just too forward looking for the Internet savvy techies of MR?

Anyway, here is a major novelist using the tools of the Internet to not only reach out to fans, but to create maybe a new literary form-Twitter fiction.

So far the response seems to be "We don't need no new stuff, young whippersnapper. And get off my lawn."
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #9
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

So how is this any better than just putting the whole story up on a blog, even if at a rate of a chapter a day? I mean breaking it up into "tweets" adds what?
Old 05-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #10
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
Not that I was ever interested in Twitter to begin with, but I definitively decided, no, never, not even on a bet, when the guy built an office chait that would tweet when he farted.
Considering my opinion of social media, building one of those chairs would be to only reason I'd open a Twitter or Facebook account. Maybe I'll build a Tweeting Toilet©

5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #11
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
I don't have an account with Twitter, but if I did, I would check it out just to see. I am willing to give anything a chance.
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #12
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Stunt, but I give it a thumbs up. If it gets even a few people to read a short story they never would have read it was worth it. Sure it's a bit of a cheesy marketing ploy, but it's also asking a few questions as to what a story is and what publishing means as well.

A Visit from the Goon Squad is still on my list to read this year.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #13
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
What next.? Can you imagine a movie or novel in which James Bond will tweet his reports to Q?
Or is such a concept just too forward looking for the Internet savvy techies of MR?

Anyway, here is a major novelist using the tools of the Internet to not only reach out to fans, but to create maybe a new literary form-Twitter fiction.

So far the response seems to be "We don't need no new stuff, young whippersnapper. And get off my lawn."
It's not the use of new tech that's the problem, for example, when authors started to show snippets of their books in blog posts, that was great. It's the use of new tech in a way that's just, clunky.

Twitter is for checking up on what other people are doing and for what is going on in the world at that moment in time (i.e trending). It doesn't feel to me that it's a suitable mechanism for distributing a book, even a short story at that. As a one off stunt for PR, sure. but that doesn't make it any less of a stunt.

Now, had the author decided to tweet once or twice a day as their "character" and let the story unfold over weeks as part of your natural twitter feed, I might even follow them. Maybe that's an idea one of the MR authors could take advantage of and gain some free press over

PS as for tweeting reports to Q, that could work, as long as they're in a kind of code that just falls in with the background noise of all the other tweets (Managed to burn my raspberry pi today) and of course, hopefully Mr Bond is smart enough to not tweet under @JamesBond007 (license to tweet)

Last edited by JoeD; 05-25-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #14
JoeD
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
So how is this any better than just putting the whole story up on a blog, even if at a rate of a chapter a day? I mean breaking it up into "tweets" adds what?
PR value.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #15
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
It's an interesting concept, but it would probably bug the crap out of me to see parts of the story throughout the day bumping out other news and stuff off of the feed.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote