Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #1
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Questions from new user

I got my Pocketbook 360+ in the mail on Monday and I'm really liking it so far. It's much lighter than I expected, since I'm used to my 6" Sony which has an aluminum frame. The 5" screen was something I was a little worried about, since I'm used to the bigger screen, but I don't even notice that while I'm reading. I love the hard cover which was a main reason I wanted to buy it.

I haven't read a whole book yet, but I have played around with Adobe Viewer and fbreader. I have the 7th Dark Tower epub, which has a lot of illustrations and formatted text. I prefer it in Adobe Viewer because in fbreader none of the pictures or special formatting show up. Am I understanding correctly that the advantage of fbreader over Adobe is that you can customize the text more? Missing out on the illustrations doesn't seem worth it to me but maybe that's just me. Also what exactly is fbreader180 versus the normal fbreader? I want to get as much as I can out of the device so I was thinking of installing fbreader180. Once installed, does it replace fbreader or is it added as another option when opening the book?

Another thing I've been playing with are the themes. I installed a couple Pocketbook 360 themes on my 360+ and one thing I noticed was that the normal 360 applications icon doesn't link to the 360+ applications folder. I looked around online and found that the 360 icon links to a folder called "games" and that if one wants that icon to link to the 360+ apps, one has to make a new folder called "games" and copy all the apps into it. I did this, and it worked fine. But when I power the device off and on again, the "games" folder disappears every time and I can no longer get to the apps such as the browser. The books and other icons work but it bugs me to know that the apps one won't. So, does anyone know a more permanent workaround for this? Or are 360 themes just not meant to run on the 360+?

Now, the browser. Is it possible to download files, like from Dropbox, onto the 360+? My friend has a Sony T1 and I successfully used its browser to download an ebook from Dropbox. I would like to do the same thing, and in fact the Wifi was one reason I wanted this reader. I tried to mess with the browser but I found it to be very irritating and slow and I didn't want to spend any more time on it before asking if there's an easier way. All I'd use it for is to get to Dropbox, log in, and bookmark that site so I can return to it if I want to access my books stored there.

Thanks anyone for any kind of opinions/feedback about this stuff! Coming from the Sony, on which almost nothing can be customized, it's quite confusing.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
welcome to the 360 lovers corner

I have an old 360, but have tried to adapt the themes of the 360 for my 903, and it can be done: there is a compiler for the themes, so you can easily modify an existing theme to redericet the applications shortcut to the correct folder - if you have a go at the (long!) themes thread to try and get an idea, then if you want to try and mess about we can talk about this more.

As for the readers: you do not have to substitute, you can add fbreade180 and coolreader. The advantages of the two latter reading software is that they are also very customizable - coolreader in particular keeps a lot of the book formatting (including scaling of pictures as far as I can remembert), so you may want to have a look. Above all (for me!) these two readers allow you to turn pages just by turning your wrist - so you can forget about the buttons, which is great if you are reading on the beach with your reader tucked into a ziplock bag, or if you are standing on the underground and holding with the other hand to a railing, or in a host of other occasions.

Can't help you with the browser (your firmware is probably similar to the pro models, but I have a touch device, and I think the browsers are different between the touch and non-touch models).
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2011, 12:47 PM   #3
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
For the applications link, it was discovered that copying the applications to a 'games' folder on the SD card would keep the link even after turning off the 360+.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote